USB-C cables ins and outs

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
Midas

USB-C cables ins and outs

#1 Post by Midas »

Note: sorry in advance for the Facebook link, but I haven't found any alternate source (yet?). :roll:

So here's a fairly informative video about USB-C cables -- and, as the saying goes, buyers beware:

appsuser

Re: USB-C cables ins and outs

#2 Post by appsuser »

Very informative. Thanks for posting that. I've got tons of cables laying all over the place, many of them USB. I'll have to be more careful in the future with the USB-C ones (not to mix them up).

This actually might explain some problems I've had with these types of cables. I bought a long USB-C cable to charge my android phone, and the phone kept muting while being charged. I finally figured out it thought the USB-C cable I was using was an external audio cable.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Same here. And thanks for the feedback, appsuser. 8)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Either is or has relation to your link: https://www.businessinsider.com/everyth ... 18-11?op=1

I appreciate what the creators were trying to do and maybe their failure is as good as we could hope for, but there is a huge number of "old" cables going into landfills for no reason. Such a waste.

On a related note, I've had a weird rash of bad lightning cables that don't just fail in one or two functions but stop working entirely. Maybe I've just been lucky but had not (until recently) seen had a bad cable in years.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

That's the official source in fact. Since the page is nothing more than a transcript of the video posted to Facebook, which does a pretty good job of explaining the issues in a timely manner, I posted that.

webfork wrote: I appreciate what the creators were trying to do and maybe their failure is as good as we could hope for, but there is a huge number of "old" cables going into landfills for no reason. Such a waste.

On a related note, I've had a weird rash of bad lightning cables that don't just fail in one or two functions but stop working entirely. Maybe I've just been lucky but had not (until recently) seen had a bad cable in years.
Really sad, indeed. Yet another example of forced obsolescence.

A (pricey!) micro-USB to USB-C adapter I first got when I got a new USB-C smartphone ceased to function only a couple of months after.

OTOH, I also had a recent case of a manufacturer supplied micro-USB cable failing in a way that first lead me to believe the battery on my tablet was busted -- it wouldn't charge. Other random cables laying around wouldn't help, until I found the right one. Happy puppy now.