About USB Hard Disks (not Flash)

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
nat1192

About USB Hard Disks (not Flash)

#1 Post by nat1192 »

Would you recommend the use of a portable HDD over the use of a USB stick? I have $100 to spend on it. Also, how is compatibility with the drives? (as I use computers with Windows 2000/XP and Linux) I was looking in the 60-100 GB range for sizes with no particular preference of brand; any recommendations?

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

sure, I recently bought a western digital (120gig) for around 80-90$ serves me fine for backups :D but is perfectly fine for daily use but keep these things in mind

1.)more noticable (hence better chance of "losing," "robbed" (of) it :/ (so carry a dagger :D if you want to be on safe side)
2.)you might keep backups on it that would not be good to have accessed on public computers
3.)cheaper gig for the dollar
4.)longer lifetime
5.)Fat(32) cannot have files more then 4gigs in size and ntfs is bad on external hardrives :D so I forced myself to use a ext2 partition :D (this is on linux)
6.)hmmm makes you feel important :D
thats about it :D

(remember it might have a hardrive but only can send recieve files as fast as port :\ (my drive is 5400rpm, it has a transfer rate of 20-30megs (if not more) so just a thought :D)

lococobra

#3 Post by lococobra »

I'd definitely go with external hdd any day. I run all my portable apps using a 2.5in 60gb SATA drive enclosed in a 2.5in SATA to USB enclosure.

Whole thing cost me $40

I'll get you a link if you want.

kwhipp

#4 Post by kwhipp »

I would absolutely recommend the WD drives. I've been using a 2GB thumb drive for my portable apps. I recently purchased a 250GB WD external drive. Just yesterday I was wondering why I'm carrying around both. By the end of today, all of my "stuff" will be on my 250GB WD drive and son can use the thumb drive for school.
Last edited by kwhipp on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nat1192

#5 Post by nat1192 »

Sounds good enough for me. Thanks for the input. I'm going to Circuit City Sunday to pick one up. (maybe there will be one on sale)

teobromina

Re: About USB Hard Disks (not Flash)

#6 Post by teobromina »

nat1192 wrote:Would you recommend the use of a portable HDD over the use of a USB stick? I have $100 to spend on it. Also, how is compatibility with the drives? (as I use computers with Windows 2000/XP and Linux) I was looking in the 60-100 GB range for sizes with no particular preference of brand; any recommendations?
A 'Woxter' 80 Gb 2.5' HD USB disc gives me a good service. Some other 2.5' HD USB disc, need external supply (probably because lower tension). It costed a year ago 80 euro, but today you can have 80 Gb probably for less than 80 USD.

Both, Linux and Windows XP and up, recognize and mount the HD USB discs without drivers. I am not sure if W2000 does.

A recomendation is to use a 'mirroring' program to have security backups of all the important information of the external drive in an internal hard disc. I use to define a folder as critical for backup, and my favorite program for make the mirror of that directory is ICE Mirror http://www.ice-graphics.com/IndexE.html .
To keep information closed to other eyes in case of loss of the disc, you may use a good encryption program. I like TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php .

*JT.

nycjv321

#7 Post by nycjv321 »

O yea for a good archiving/backup tool check out http://www.cobian.se/

codybear

#8 Post by codybear »

I personally have both.
A 1gb Flashdrive, and a 500gb Iomega eGo Blackbelt.

Love them both.
The harddrive I haven't had any problems, except for when I use it at school on some computers.....
On certain computers they have a deep freeze program on their computers and it will undo anything I move, install, add, delete, etc from the harddrive as soon as I disconnect it from the harddrive (with and without using the safely remove drive utility).

But other than that, the next level of portable programs is getting a laptop. :D

donald

#9 Post by donald »

/An important point about hard drives is the aspect of the "Local Drive."
Since Windows recognizes it as a local drive anything deleted is in a recycle bin folder on the drive.
Further Eraser will actually work, and without killing your drive. (Also de-fragmenting is possible.)

Finally since windows seems to consider all Local Drives as safe Auto-run will work just fine.

The best deal on a shirt pocket Hard drive I have seen lately is $89.99 for a 640GB Samsung Hard drive.
4.37" x 3.22" x 0.69" Yes 640 GB in your shirt pocket. Now if I could just find the money. Oh Well, maybe something better will come along when I have some money.
**********************EDIT BELOW.

Oh and that is about 14 cents a Gigabyte. 90/640=.1406

Here is hoping that the 5 cent barrier is breached by October.

noclone

#10 Post by noclone »

I use western digital for my old PC and it works great, stable and nothing wrong happen after almost 5 years. And my favorite pictures are locating in it. In a word, western digital is great recommended.

fpelletier

#11 Post by fpelletier »

I'll tell you what, Flash drives are convenient and nothing else. They have a crippled life expectancy and are painfully slow when transferring large files. I have been using a USB powered 250GB laptop HDD stuffed into a case no larger than the drive for about 5 years now. As it fits into any pocket, it is just as convenient in my opinion as a flash drive. I keep my 110GB music collection, about 850 organized stealth programs, virtual PC sessions, software development platforms, video collection, literary libraries, etc. on the drive. Plus it doubles as a backup for portions of my laptop. I've outgrown this drive and am looking at a USB powered 2TB HDD with a USB 3.0 connection (~US$250) for unparalleled size and performance. The way that I have this drive configured, I keep my laptop bare bones clean so it stays best-case scenario efficient with the exception of my security and malware control software. Then I run absolutely everything else from the external drive. It has become my computer that I can run from anyone's hardware. I'm considering my next hardware purchase to be a netbook for the ultimate in portability when armed with this drive loaded up.
Once you go to an External HDD, you will never look back...hands down.
Just make sure that you keep it healthy (defragged, malware scanned, and back up the back up). 8)