What hardware are you using?

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
nickpost

#16 Post by nickpost »

I've been using a Wingate (I think that's the name) 512 for the last year or so. Tried to replace it with a 2 gig drive which was very slow with small files, so thus it couldn't run programs worth anything. I just got a pqi 1 gig drive that's really small. Everything works great on it, but sometimes, for some reason, possibly the drive is too slow, Firefox will freeze for 3 to 5 seconds about once a minute. More if there are more images to load. And I....oh, I think I have cache off.

Need to check that.

After Oct 18, I might be using a new iPod Classic. Woot. (birthday)

soliars

#17 Post by soliars »

I am also using a TakeMS Easy 8 GB drive.

ohiozzz

Hardware

#18 Post by ohiozzz »

I have a Kingston 4gb thumb drive and a 2gb Memorex thumb drive. I also bought a Seagate 160gb FreeAgent Go portable hd. I really like the Seagate drive it came with a five year warranty. I think it only covers free replacement for 3 years though. I also got a Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop for Christmas.

Queue

#19 Post by Queue »

I started with an unbranded 1 GB flash drive that had a surprisingly decent write speed but a mediocre read speed (go figure). I mainly use this one for portable games (CaveStory, Guxt, MiniShoterRS, Jedi Knight 1, Star Control: TimeWarp, MechWarrior 1).

I then got a PNY 1 GB flash drive with a read-only switch, which I keep set to read-only 99% of the time; I set up wrappers for most of my programs to deal with the issues some progams face when run read-only. I mainly use this for diagnostics and working on malware-infected computers.

I also have a tiny Lexar 1 GB flash drive that hasn't been given a purpose yet.

Queue

XIONG

#20 Post by XIONG »

Looks very good, but I do not have 8 GB

Snow123

#21 Post by Snow123 »

I really think he is a spam!! :x :x :x :x

Kranor

#22 Post by Kranor »

I'm using a 400GB freecom Classic Partitioned into several Fat32 lumps (Company I work for applies group permissions to any connected NTFS Drives) With 12Gb set asside for all My portables. So far i am up to 8.3GB LOL

allclownsareevil

Re: What hardware are you using?

#23 Post by allclownsareevil »

Usually use a Sandisc Cruzer 8GB titanium. I only went for that model because it's solid metal construction and capless. Got a few other USB pendrives laying around including a Cruzer 16GB Titanium, but it's not as fast as the 8GB.

Honestly, I use a fair few portable apps and I could fit them all on a 2GB drive if need be, so 8GB is ample for me.

SYSTEM

#24 Post by SYSTEM »

I use the 640-gigabyte version of an external hard drive called Samsung S2 Portable. The partition I've reserved for portable applications is 16 gigabytes in size. (It is too big. Only about 3,4 gigabytes is in use, and seek times would be a bit lower if the partition was smaller. :roll: )

I have a GNU/Linux distribution installed on the drive as well, and running it causes a lot of writes. For me, it is very important that mechanical hard drives have relatively high write speeds and unlimited write cycles.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

copc

#25 Post by copc »

Everything is portable, what I like/need.
Booting any OS on any computer anywhere and using portable applications as much as possible.
USB-HDD 500Gb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rIyOPMV8eo

RonaldP

#26 Post by RonaldP »

I am currently using Transcend JetFlash 500 4GB Pen Drive Pen Drive. It really first and furious :)

abc

#27 Post by abc »

I use a 1 TB WD 'My Passport SE' USB v3.0 external HDD. It's about the size as most smart phones and powered exclusively from the USB, and doesn't make any noise unlike the older 'My Book' models.

I also have a generic 8 GB USB stick that came with 8 GB free "cloud storage"... which I haven't considered using. :oops:

clayto

#28 Post by clayto »

I have just started using a 14 GB integral micro Memory Card on my W8.1 Tablet which I am trying to use like a partition of my rather small HDD. I call it 'integral', because it is not connected to a USB port or hub, it is in a built-in slot in the Tablet itself and it seems to function as part of the hardware system rather than as an add-on. For example, unlike my USB Flash Drive's its identity has remained unchanged (as D) ever since I had the Tablet several months ago.

I am interested to see that several people use USB Flash Drives with a smaller capacity than my SD Card, which makes me feel more confident that it is a realistic option for holding some of my most important programs. Like another poster I would be interested in any information / experiences regarding the longevity of Memory Cards subjected to daily use, or any other issues affecting them.

clayto

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

clayto wrote:I would be interested in any information / experiences regarding the longevity of Memory Cards subjected to daily use, or any other issues affecting them.
What to buy: I haven't looked into this in a while so my advice would be outdated, but I'd buy what professional photographers recommend. That tends to be the fastest and the longest lasting because the one thing Photographers don't want is their flash media going out on them during a wedding. Other than that I'd just buy standard media and do frequent backups. From what I've seen, even the most basic, generic stuff should last 6+ years with frequent usage.

Usage recommendations:
  • You can extend the life of flash media by reducing the number of writes to that drive. I haven't found a practical and easy way to do this in any lasting/legitimate way so don't stress too hard, but something to keep in mind.
  • If you have any concerns about security, I recommend encrypting it right from the start.

Midas

#30 Post by Midas »

Great tips by webfork. :wink:

I've used several Android devices and I always fit a micro-sd card if that possibility is provided -- it's a great way to have stuff survive a factory reset, for instance.

Although I tend to favor Sandisk, I have had pretty good experiences with most brands on the market...