Skype Portable 4.2.0.152 Released

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
JohnTHaller

Skype Portable 4.2.0.152 Released

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

Hi all. Just posted Skype Portable 4.2.0.152 at PortableApps.com. This version properly handles both the Skype settings portably, the empty Skype directory left in APPDATA and your Skype PM logs, so it should be considered 'stealth' by PFC standards. Any issues, just let me know.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Kind Regards,
John
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

Re: Skype Portable 4.2.0.152 Released

#2 Post by guinness »

Updated. But still not Stealth[?] because it writes outside of the application folder. Can you not include in your NSIS script to delete this folder upon exit? - It does!

Edit:
TESTED (AGAIN!): Portable
Last edited by guinness on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Updated. But still not Stealth[?] because it writes outside of the application folder. Can you not include in your NSIS script to delete this folder upon exit?
It does, or at least it's designed to. The %APPDATA%\Skype folder is deleted on exit (as long as it wasn't already there from a local install of Skype). I've tested this on a few boxes including my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate box and it works as designed. What OS are you experiencing the issue on? What's your install path of the portable version? Is Skype installed locally? Does %APPDATA%\Skype exist before you run it?
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you, John!

It doesn't leave traces for me (win7x64).

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

John, does Skype Portable handle upgrades well?
I'm concerned b/c Skype Portable is an online installer.

Also does this version address the /secondary command line issue - allowing for multiple instances of Skype to be opened?

[EDIT]
Looks like there's an upgrade routine.
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote:John, does Skype Portable handle upgrades well?
I'm concerned b/c Skype Portable is an online installer.

Also does this version address the /secondary command line issue - allowing for multiple instances of Skype to be opened?

[EDIT]
Looks like there's an upgrade routine.
Yes, Skype Portable handles upgrades like all PortableApps.com Format apps. What we call in-place upgrades (just install the new one over the old one). All our online installers handle it just as well. All data is preserved. Plugins and addons in supported locations are preserved as well.

No, we don't currently support the /secondary switch due to a bug within Skype itself. Even in /removable mode, your Skype chat logs are stored in %APPDATA%. So, if two copies of Skype are running, both get stored there, and we're unable to differentiate the portable logs from the local ones. If there were a better way to handle it, I'd definitely look into it.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

I just double-checked this on my clean Windows 2000 VM and no registry keys, files or folders are left behind. So, guinness, I'm still unable to reproduce your issue.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

freakazoid

#8 Post by freakazoid »

Confirmed, when you close Skype, the folders in %appdata% are deleted.
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

Whoops! I just tested again (was having problems with my XP) and everything was OK this time :) I read your post a little wrong last time, I thought you implied that the empty folder wouldn't be handled. So apologies to you all.

JohnTHaller

#10 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Whoops! I just tested again (was having problems with my XP) and everything was OK this time :) I read your post a little wrong last time, I thought you implied that the empty folder wouldn't be handled. So apologies to you all.
Glad to hear it, guinness. :) Any other issues, just let me know.