AppCompactor V1.1

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Checker

AppCompactor V1.1

#1 Post by Checker »

Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo73

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

I don't like how it works..I prefer my own product, that allow an easier multi-compression in UPX, Zip and 7z :P

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

Lupo73 wrote:I don't like how it works..I prefer my own product, that allow an easier multi-compression in UPX, Zip and 7z :P
Me too !

Island Boy

#4 Post by Island Boy »

webfork

Re: AppCompactor V1.1

#5 Post by webfork »

Today, found out that the program will re-compress whole folders of already compressed files, which is pretty cool. Since this isn't a very complex problem for a program to accomplish, I changed the entry to point out that the only incompatibilities created are likely from application compression, not ZIP, 7-ZIP or JAR files.

I also cleaned up the entry so it made (hopefully) more sense.

I didn't know ArcThemALL did the same thing (and evidently its more well-liked) as AppCompactor. I guess I'll go back and look at that entry as well now.

Edit: So does ArcThemALL not have the same application incompatibilities as AppCompactor? There's no mention of problems with LZMA in the options menu like there is in the AppCompactor wizard.

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

AppCompactor includes 7-Zip and UPX support, which is really all you need (not to mention it's the only legal means of compressing and redistributing apps under GPL licenses). And it's smart about what it compresses and what it doesn't (it automatically skips files smaller than 4K, for example). And it uses the proper UPX switches based on 5 years of work. We use it on all PortableApps.com releases (license-permitting of course). Version 2.0 (in testing) ditches the command line window and improves command line processing.

Lupo, your product is improperly including a closed source app (mpress). You can't host closed source software on SourceForge. mpress can't be use on GPL software meant for redistribution.

webfork - ArcThemAll has the exact same issues as AppCompactor since it does the same thing and uses UPX compression which breaks apps with built-in CRC checks (like our launchers, which is why AppCompactor warns you not to compress them). The PA.c launchers and apps like PortableApps.com AppCompactor have built-in CRC checks so they can self-check for modifications (like virus infections). Compressing via UPX is a modification and will cause them to fail (and it wouldn't save you more than a few KB anyway).
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

JohnTHaller wrote:... Version 2.0 (in testing) ditches the command line window and improves command line processing...
I kinda like watching it zoom thru the files myself :mrgreen:
Will the command window visibility be an option or is it just being done away with altogether?
Will you be adding a progress bar instead?

JohnTHaller

#8 Post by JohnTHaller »

Napiophelios wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:... Version 2.0 (in testing) ditches the command line window and improves command line processing...
I kinda like watching it zoom thru the files myself :mrgreen:
Will the command window visibility be an option or is it just being done away with altogether?
Will you be adding a progress bar instead?
We're dropping it and switching to a progress bar. Don't worry, you'll still see the individual files in AppCompactor's own window scroll by, though :D
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Lupo73

#9 Post by Lupo73 »

An user already reported me the mpress issue and I have in plan to release an update soon, with some improvements and the mpress executable downloadable separately (not from sourceforge). I'm also improving the Intelligent compression mode, thanks for your indirect reports too.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Few notes on AppCompactor with default settings.
  • Both SoftMaker Office and FileZilla compress to less than half their original size. Both seem to work fine.
  • gPodder - shaves off about 15 megs from 41 megs normally.
  • Peerblock and Google Hacks - breaks them both. Do not use.

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:Few notes on AppCompactor with default settings...
[*]Peerblock and Google Hacks - breaks them both. Do not use.
Is this because of integrity checks within the programs like NSIS launchers have?

JohnTHaller

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

Napiophelios wrote:
webfork wrote:Few notes on AppCompactor with default settings...
[*]Peerblock and Google Hacks - breaks them both. Do not use.
Is this because of integrity checks within the programs like NSIS launchers have?
Could be. It's best to backup an app you don't know works before compressing blindly. The PortableApps.com AppCompactor performs a validation test on all EXEs and DLLs after UPX compressing them and will restore any that fail. It also allows UPX to automatically skip files it can't compress due to being unsupported and will any skips along with the reason why in its window as it is compressing.

Some EXEs and DLLs, however, will appear to properly compress via UPX and pass the validation test, but actually fail to work properly; especially if they are plugins. For our own apps, the PortableApps.com AppCompactor works in conjunction with PortableApps.com Format, allowing us to specify specific files, filetypes and/or directories that will break and should be skipped within the app's AppInfo.ini file. That way, even if we don't compress an app ourselves due to performance or licensing reasons, we can still include the instructions for the AppCompactor to automatically handle it all if the user chooses to compress it themselves. It also automatically skips our launchers in the root directory, so you just point it at the AppNamePortable directory and go.