Open Menu+ 1.5.1

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
guywithcable

Open Menu+ 1.5.1

#1 Post by guywithcable »

Open Menu+ 1.5.1. A couple enhancements, support for Italian, and a better Slovak file have been added.

www.sciactive.com

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

Updated the entry, thanks!

Unfortunately I use bblean instead of Windows Explorer so I can't really check the program out. Then again, bblean has been frustrating the hell out of me lately (last week it was up to 50 MB of RAM and I couldn't bring it down) so I might end up reverting to crap ol' explorer.exe.

[EDIT] Just noticed that there's a shell in development from the same folks that made OpenMenu+. Sounds good, but I'm curious as to how friendly on the memory and CPU it'll be. ;)

guywithcable

#3 Post by guywithcable »

Actually there is a way to use Open Menu+ without explorer. Install Open Menu+ normally, then browse to the installation directory and create a file called settings.ini. Open it up in notepad and insert the following:

[Settings]
OpenOnCorner=1
Corner=2

Save and close notepad. Run OpenMenuPlus.exe. You can now open the menu by moving the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen. :)

Kermode

#4 Post by Kermode »

Is that new? I saw he said one must make sure "Classic Start menu" is not selected - that alone is a dealbreaker - its like some idiot programs demand you use small fonts in windows - learn to program losers.

But it still hits the firewall when it starts - wonder if that can be disabled.

guywithcable

#5 Post by guywithcable »

Kermode wrote:Is that new? I saw he said one must make sure "Classic Start menu" is not selected - that alone is a dealbreaker - its like some idiot programs demand you use small fonts in windows - learn to program losers.

But it still hits the firewall when it starts - wonder if that can be disabled.
That only applies to the non-portable version of Open Menu+.

If you would like to review the code and suggest a way to improve the method Open Menu+ uses to determine when the start menu is called, the code is available free of charge on SourceForge.net. I developed this program in my spare time because I was fed up with the terrible XP Start Menu and decided to give it away freely along with the source code. If you have any experience with Visual Basic 6 as well as the Windows API and ActiveX, please feel free to contribute to the project any way you would like.

Also, I chose to distribute Open Menu+ under the terms of the GPL, because this way my code gives as much to the community as possible while still remaining free so people like yourself can improve upon it and use it freely.