Executor

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
USB_Kx

Executor

#1 Post by USB_Kx »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Executor program thread. View database entry]

---
v0.96b (14-oct-07)
Added you can right-click items in the list for the standard windows context menu and special context menu for items that doesn't match the windows context menu.
Added you can press F9 or select "windows context menu" from the context menu to invoke the standard windows context menu for the input in the text input field.
Added support for a keyword can have more than one name. Each should be seperated with a comma.. example a keyword name could be: text,note,word,edit
Added support for targeting individual parameters in keywords with $P1$ $P2$ $U1$ $U2$ etc. So for example a mailto keyword command would look like this: mailto:$P1$?subject=$P2$&body=$P3$
Added a right-click menu for system-tray icon.
Added a setting named "Detect and hide duplicates". If enabled it will not list an item more than once in the drop-down/list (if for example it exist both in history and keywords).
Added support for tray-icon refreshing if explorer crashes.
Added Executor now knows how to open .cpl files if not specified.
Added a internal command named -edit.. will close down executor and open executor.ini..
Added copy/paste/cut to right-click context menu.
Improved drag-n-drop keyword name detection.
Fixed a bug where a keyword calling multiple keywords with parameters wouldn't launch properly.
Fixed an issue with dragging a folder to keyword list.
Fixed an issue with -exit file parameter.
Fixed Executor internal work folder will remain the same.
Fixed bug with launching windowkeywords with hotkeys.
More info

http://www.executor.dk/

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!" --
Homer Simpson

Ennovy

executor 0.97b december 22, 2007

#2 Post by Ennovy »

Great tool, and a new version has been released.
A lot of new features and improvements.
Read all about it: http://www.executor.dk/
Download: http://home25.inet.tele.dk/mb/executor/Executor.zip

Merry christmas and a happy new year :wink:

AlephX

#3 Post by AlephX »

Thanks a lot, Ennovy!

I appreciate it, when the users post the links too 8)

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

btw

Happy New Year!

Ennovy

#5 Post by Ennovy »

Happy new year AlephX and TPFC members :wink:

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

The last version is 0.98b now but i guess this is not news for Executor's fans (changelog) .
One nice trick about using Locate32 directly from Executor:
Posted by Nighted on Executor's forum
Locate is a program that can index every file on your computer very quickly.
If you have many thousands of files and want to find something
within seconds, check this out! I find sometimes that it's quicker
to get something using Locate than to browse to it through explorer.
This one's easy, just put the path to locate32.exe under Command
and under Parameters enter: -r $P$
I have some concern about disk usage, previously expressed by Fluffy in a post about Guillotine:
1 - One of the most frustrating things I've found as far as both this app and Launchy goes is the lack of a hard cache. It's a bit annoying for my HDD to get thrashed every time I start up the program - why can't the apps keep a "hard index" between sessions so it doesn't interfere with any other application that wants to use the HDD? (I'm not saying this is a behavior that must be followed, but at least give the user a choice in the matter.)
If this is true about Executor too (and i think it is unless there are some settings i didn't see) i shall have second thought about committing to this app. Who wants to wait 5-10 min for this kind of apps to build their "virtual" cache ?

garbanzo

#7 Post by garbanzo »

executor, unlike some similar programs (like Launchy), is based entirely on aliases that you set manually. there is no indexing involved.

at least, that's how it works on my machine. it's been a while since i set it up so maybe i turned some options off? i can't check now, i'm at work.

i have it set to the simplest mode possible. no drop-down, no suggestions, no bookmark searching or anything like that. just the aliases i set, and nothing more. i guess that makes it just like a hotkey program that uses aliases instead of simple hotkey combos. just right!

nycjv321

#8 Post by nycjv321 »

yea it does look very similiar to launcher I was wondering for a second lol...

ashghost

#9 Post by ashghost »

Launchy can be set to never scan automatically. In Launchy 2.0 this was broken, and it scanned every 10 minutes regardless of the setting, but it's fixed since 2.1.

Executor doesn't seem to allow scheduled scanning, only on startup (which is off by default). But you can scan manually.

So either of them can be allowed to thrash your HDD or not.

EDIT: Oops. Executor IS set to scan on startup by default.

One more note: Launcy keeps a database in its profile folder, while Executor appears to store it in RAM.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

@garbanzo
This is also the way i am using Executor, but if you look in Settings there is a "Indexing, scanning &cache" tab. Those options are driving me crazy because of the never ending hard drive activity. I just wonted to have a list of all the executables from my Portable applications directory (it contains about 17 000 files).

@ashghost
You are right, Executor stores it in RAM (like Fluffy, i would like to have the option to choose where i want it stored).
Launchy does keep a database in its profile folder but every time i open and close the settings (for various tuneups) it rebuilds it and this is very annoying too.

garbanzo

#11 Post by garbanzo »

i used launchy 2.0 for several months and never had the memory problems everyone was whining about. though i had it set to never rebuild the index without my permission...

but i realized after a while that i never used any of the 'extended features', so i switched to executor, which uses quite a lot less resources (3.25mb ram at the moment). i'm very happy with it.

ashghost

#12 Post by ashghost »

@joby_toss: You might be out of luck trying to scan that directory with Executor. When I tried to scan my directory of portable applications (37,000 total files) I waited several minutes but it never finished, using 50% of my (Athlon 5600+ dual core) CPU the whole time.

I use Launchy and have set to scan the same directory. It finishes scanning that plus a few other directories and my Firefox bookmarks in under 30 seconds.

Unfortunately I see that Launchy does automatically rescan when you close the options menu. It seems like you should be able to disable that behavior. I'll post a suggestion on the Launchy SourceForge forum.

@Garbanzo:
Launchy only had memory problems when people had it indexing their entire computers (more than 10,000 files - indexed, not just scanned - was what the developer estimated as being too much).

The rescan timer bug would merely spike the CPU usage every 10 minutes. If you were only scanning the start menu, you wouldn't have noticed it.

Ennovy

executor 0.99.04b

#13 Post by Ennovy »

New version of Executor.
The latest build is 0.99.04b

Version history: http://www.1space.dk/executor/vhistory.html

In the TPFC database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1308

Download .ZIPfile: http://www.1space.dk/executor/Executor.zip

freakazoid

Executor 64-bit beta - 0.99.12

#14 Post by freakazoid »

A 64-bit version of my favorite launcher was released back in September as a beta:
http://executor.fr.yuku.com/topic/1077

Try it out. There are a few known bugs as listed in the thread, but I don't think any of them are dealbreakers.

As noted in the thread, back up your .ini just in case.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

Re: Executor 64-bit beta - 0.99.12

#15 Post by webfork »

NOTE: Merging the various update threads and setting this as the current "home" thread for Executor. It somehow went without despite the many warm reviews over the years.

---

I'd tested the program before but wanted it to be a bit more automatic. It's a shame because just a little time setting up the configuration saved me a lot of time jumping around trying to find a library of files on my system. I was able to get the program to track down various office files so I setup the like so:

The full listing of file types is below (the odt, ods, etc. files are Open Document format files):

.doc;.docx;.ppt;.pptx;.pdf;.odt;.ods;.odg;.odp;.xls;.xlsx

Seems to work great. In particular, I didn't want it to find .txt files as there's a lot of text files in those same directories that I didn't want to search. I was pleased to see those were not in the above list and fully excluded:

Love it.