Best Firefox add-ons [was "plugin(s)"]

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
freakazoid

Best Firefox add-ons [was "plugin(s)"]

#1 Post by freakazoid »

When I'm not using Opera, I occasionally use Firefox / Pale Moon and was wondering what plugins apart from the usual ones (Adblock Plus, Greasemonkey, Stylish, etc.) you find useful.

Here are some of my favorites:

BarTab:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/bartab/

For me, this is the most handy Firefox plugin next to TabGroups Manager.

If you're a power surfer like me who opens more than a dozen tabs at a time, BarTab will only load the active tab and not the other ones. This incredibly saves memory and loading times considerably.

For Opera, the author of the popular extension, TabVault, is looking to add similar functionality in a future version.

TabGroups Manager:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s-manager/

Brings effective tab groups management to Firefox. I wish something like this was in Opera. For now, I'll have to manage with Opera's TabVault extension.

PlacesCleaner:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... escleaner/

Your history database can grow at alarming rates! PlacesCleaner helps to remove websites you rarely visit and reduces the filesize of your history database accordingly. Again, Opera could use something like this. (Check out the /vps/ folder in Opera and you'll know what I mean.)
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

Re: Best Firefox plugin(s)

#2 Post by webfork »

A few quick ones:

* NoScript - It breaks quite a few websites, but I actually prefer that.
* Web of Trust (WOT) - using online reputation to enforce a (very basic) Internet rule system
* Selenium IDE - helps automate Firefox. Works really, really fast (can click links even before pages actually load), but not yet compatible with FF 4.

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

Can't live w/out the following:
-NoScript
-Adblock Plus
-Tab Mix Plus
-HTTPS Everywhere
-Menu Editor
-Update Scanner

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Selenium IDE looks interesting. Apart from creating test cases for debugging sessions, what do you use it for, webfork?
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Selenium IDE looks interesting. Apart from creating test cases for debugging sessions, what do you use it for, webfork?
Part of the work I'm doing is trying to simplify lots of web interface nonsense with a very poorly designed database interface I've got to work with. I've been meaning to adapt it to the ban process of spammers here on PortableFreeware.com, but that's on the backburner.

According to a friend who works with it to do a great deal of software testing, its enormously intelligent and flexible, adaptable to a variety of existing software languages to automate processes. My uses have been very simple by comparison.

ashghost

#6 Post by ashghost »

My favorites these days are:

The already mentioned BarTab and Tab Mix Plus

Tree Style Tabs - provides an outline view of tabs on the left side of the browser. I gave Tab Groups Manager a try, after reading freakazoid's first post, but it seems like it still doesn't play nice with Tab Mix Plus, because I could only get it to work if I disabled TMP. I think I'd stick with Tree Style anyway - I think tabs belong on the left these days (I've had my task bar on the left for 3-4 years now).

Try Again - if you can't reach a server, will try again automatically (the default is five times, with ten seconds between each), plus it displays results from DownForEveryoneOrJustMe and from Uptime Auditor, and provides links to the cached version of the page from several providers (Google, Wayback, Coral, Bing, Yahoo...).

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

I used to use Tab Mix Plus, but I find I don't need it anymore when I have TabGroups Manager.

I was using Tab Utilities Lite, as it is considerably lighter, but it doesn't gel with BarTab.
is it stealth? ;)

Firewrath

#8 Post by Firewrath »

Well i havnt read the thread, but i did look it over and didnt see this listed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /ghostery/
Site wrote: Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing and block them with Ghostery.
DETECT
Ghostery sees the "invisible" web, detecting trackers, web bugs, pixels, and beacons placed on web pages by Facebook, Google Analytics, and over 400 other ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers - all companies interested in your activity.
not that i have much chance to use it, but ive seen it and it looks rather good, that, plus adblock should about take care of all tracking,

though there is the whole 'EverCookie' bit, i havnt seen anything that deletes it in FF4, but there is this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erprivacy/
that deletes flash cookies,

carbonize

#9 Post by carbonize »

tried WOT and decided it's useless since it's based on user feedback and a lot of people apparently don't know what they are on about.

As to my my add ons
AdBlock Plus
Context Search (puts all your search engines in to context menu under "Search for .."
Firebug (web dev stuff)
Fire FTP for quick uploading of work
Fire Gestures as I really go to love gestures back in my Opera days
Gmail Watcher for checking my mail
HTTP Fox for analysing packets
Last Pass for toring all my 20 random character passwords
Locationbar greys out al but the domain in the url bar like IE does
Source Chart more web dev this ime for finding what's breaking my layout
Web Developer name says it all really

Oh and as for deleting Flash cookies as of Flash 10.3 the browser will be able to delete them.

m^(2)

#10 Post by m^(2) »

I used WOT too, but I too decided it's not worth my attention.
And used Ghostery too, but decided that NoScript and AdBlock do all it does, yet it's annoyingly verbose, so I uninstalled.

spicydog

#11 Post by spicydog »

I cannot even imagine FF without the first 3 on my list:

Sidebar Autohide
Save selected text to file (stf v.1.6.2) https://addons.mozilla.org/af/firefox/addon/stf/
Ad block Plus
BetterPrivacy
CheckPlaces
Plain Text Links
QuickPageZoom
Sidebar Bookmark Selector
Tab Mix Plus

Midas

Re: Firefox plugin -- LastPass Portable

#12 Post by Midas »

This might be of interest for Firefox Portable users (also available for Chrome Portable):Image

More info & download: http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/lastpass-portable/

carbonize

#13 Post by carbonize »

I would of thought that if you installed the LastPass plugin for either browser then it would of just kept it's cache in the browsers profile anyway or is this more about not having it retrieve your details unless you request it to do so?

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

I don't really know, I'm not a LastPass user... (I use Keepass Portable). But I think that the usefulness of this lies in using the browser for syncing, but still allowing you to run it standalone to retrieve data from your local cache...

webfork

Re: Firefox plugin -- LastPass Portable

#15 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:This might be of interest for Firefox Portable users
Great news, thanks.