MapKeyboard tool

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Napiophelios

MapKeyboard tool

#1 Post by Napiophelios »

I am not sure if this qualifies as a portable cuz even tho no installation
is required it needs .NET2 to run (and it has to write to the registry to do what it needs to do).

However after an unknown event disabled my left capslock and shift buttons this little app really
came in handy for assigning a new left shift key.
Its usage is as intuitive as it gets and all you need to do is restart
your computer for the reassignment to take effect.

HomePage

"Using MapKeyboard, you can alter any key on your keyboard to function as a different one or altogether disable it as well. This is an essential tool for laptop users and other people with keyboards whose keys differ from the standard 101 keyboard layout. The changes made are universal across all applications & games and best of all, MapKeyboard does not even need to be actively loaded in memory.

Note:MapKeyboard is not a hotkey program, if you need to assign actions to single or multiple keys, consider using Hotkeycontrol.

Key features:
Officially supports Windows Vista
Changes are made at a low level so that they take effect in all programs and 3D games
This remapper does not need to be loaded in memory all the time
Supports disabling of keys rather than remapping them"

System requirements: MapKeyboard runs on Windows XP/2003/2000/Vista operating systems. Additionally, Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 must be installed on your machine

Download MapKeyboard (Download size - 30 KB)

joby_toss

Re: MapKeyboard tool

#2 Post by joby_toss »

'Been using this
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
for some time...
Give it a try...no .Net.

The only portable solution for this would be an AutoHotkey script.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

It would be an interesting project to undertake but using AutoIt instead of AutoHotKey.

donald

#4 Post by donald »

joby_toss does this application you name use the registry to make the changes? or is it required to run for the changes to be effective?

I can see one possibility that might make a lot of people happy, use the re-mapper on the number keypad so that the numbers are arranged like the standard telephone keypad. Then just have someone who is able to, remove the individual key cover and replace in desired order. (or use stickers for the same purpose.)

Another would be to try applying it to an external keyboard if possible. This could avoid the dreaded number lock problem faced when using an external keyboard with a laptop by allowing the use of the number keys without using the number lock button.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

donald wrote:joby_toss does this application you name use the registry to make the changes? or is it required to run for the changes to be effective?
Here is a quote from KeyTweak's help file:
  • "How Does It Work?
    • Simply put, KeyTweak is just a front-end interface for editing a particular registry
      key
      . Microsoft did the low-level heavy lifting by creating this registry key. KeyTweak
      makes the editing of it a little less geeky.
      Your keyboard communicates with your computer typically through a PS/2 port
      or a USB port. The data sent by your keyboard is referred to as Scan Codes. When you
      press a key, the “make” scan code for that key is received by your computer’s i8042
      controller chip. When you release a key, the “break” scan code is sent. Prior to
      Windows 2000, device drivers had to be written to modify scan codes. Happily,
      Microsoft incorporated this feature into their operating system, thereby allowing fools
      like you and me to hack our registry and change the values to anything we see fit. The
      only downside is that the system has to be rebooted to take affect.
      The registry key to which I’m referring is
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout and the
      binary value in that key is titled “Scancode Map”. If you forget this, don’t worry, just
      click the Show Me The Raw Map button to see what I’m talking about. Now, I don’t
      recommend registry hacking to anyone – that’s why I wrote this utility. If you don’t
      know what I’ve been talking about in this section, it’s probably better left forgotten."
That's why applications like this could never be considered as being portable.
Only apps that run all the time and hook keyboard events and change them could.
Like OkayKeebees (not tested), from the maker of ArsClip and RenameMaster. This one has another cool feature: you can choose a modifier to activate the mapping.

@guinness: is there any advantage in this case using AutoIt over Autohotkey?

donald

#6 Post by donald »

Thanks Joby-toss

I will try them both.

I am still wondering what result I will get when I try to use the built in keyboard on a laptop after modifying the external keyboard I normally use.

In explanation I am wondering if it will it apply these changes to all keyboards or just to the specific keyboard.
I will post the results, though I expect it to treat all keyboards the same.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

@guinness: is there any advantage in this case using AutoIt over Autohotkey?
It gets the same job done, but I have more experience with AutoIt and not Autohotkey, syntax is a little different too!

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:'Been using this
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
for some time...
Give it a try...no .Net.[...]
Link dead! KeyTweak v2.2.0 dl link found at http://www.brothersoft.com/keytweak-70740.html