How to submit an application to the database directly

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Andrew Lee

How to submit an application to the database directly

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Make sure you are registered as a forum user for at least 1 week (i.e. 7 days).

Make sure you are logged in to the forum (there's a Login link at the top right corner of the TPFC web page to facilitate that, or you can use the forum login).

After you have logged in, you will see something like Username R0 [Add Entry/Logout] at the top-right corner of the TPFC web page. R0 is a rank assigned to you by the system. If you are just starting out, you will probably be R0. The maximum rank is R5. You can move up the ranks by participating more in the forum, or by adding more entries to the database.

To submit an entry, click on the Add Entry link. All entries submitted are initially private i.e. they have a private score of 0. Look at the section Popularity score (XXXX/YY) for that entry. XXXX is an public score computed by measuring how active an entry is for both anonymous and registered users. YY is private score computed strictly from the activities of registered users only for your submitted entry.

Whenever a registered user likes your entry and clicks on the This apps rocks button, not only does he adds the app to his personal list, the private score for your submitted app increases by the same amount as that user's rank. For example, if a user with R5 clicks on the "rocks" button for your entry, the private score for that entry increases by 5. Once the private score becomes 10 or greater, that entry becomes public i.e. it will be displayed on the main web page and becomes publicly searchable.

So if all submitted entries are private initially, how do you get other people to see it?

The simplest way is a post a short message to the Portable Freeware Submissions forum with the permalink of the entry and ask people to check it out. There are already plenty of examples in the submissions forum.

Additional note: To check which users have added an entry to their lists, click on the hidden link found under YY (the private score). This will show the list of users who have added the app to their personal lists (and their respective ranks).

Andrew Lee

Re: How to submit an application to the database directly

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

When adding an entry, there are some additional information posted at the top of the page. For your interest, I have highlighted some important sections here:
Please use this function to submit portable applications to the database. A submitted application is not immediately viewable on the main page, but is added to your favorites list, which you can recall by entering "[Username]" (without the quotes) in the search box.
Reminder: Before you submit, please check if other members have already submitted the same application by typing "[@] appname" in the search box.
These are two important means by which you can search for private entries. The [Username] directive lets you search for all entries in the user's personal list (including those he submitted) regardless of whether they are private or public.

The [@] directives lets you search for all entries in the database, regardless of whether they are private or public.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Shouldn't there be something like a [private] directive for listing entries below the public visibility threshold (<10)?

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Use the [#] operator.

It cannot be put in the search options directly because then it becomes public and search engines might pick them up.

lwc

#5 Post by lwc »

Where can you learn your own or others' rank?
Last edited by lwc on Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

lwc

#7 Post by lwc »

Nice. And others?

What gives one a higher rank anyway?

agam

#9 Post by agam »

Andrew Lee wrote:
The [@] directives lets you search for all entries in the database, regardless of whether they are private or public.

I 've tried it (to search private posts with "@") several times, but doens not work - probably i make something wrong ... but what ???

J. Agam

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

[#]

You need to be logged in.

Both of your entries are there, I did not have the time to test yet.

agam

#11 Post by agam »

I am Baas wrote:[#]

You need to be logged in.

Both of your entries are there, I did not have the time to test yet.
Aha, thanks ! with "[#]" it works (with the brackets !)

J. Agam

agam

#12 Post by agam »

two additional questions:

Unfortunately I made a double entry into the database directly. How i can delete one and how i can edit a entry ???

J. Agam

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

agam wrote:I made a double entry into the database directly. How i can delete one and how i can edit a entry ???
Edit:
2013-09-14_012233.png
2013-09-14_012233.png (28.37 KiB) Viewed 66020 times
Delete:
You can't, but you could edit/rename the redundant entry, replacing it with another submission.

agam

#14 Post by agam »

thanks for answer, but i can not find this "Edit this entry" ??????? Where ???
Attachments
ScreenShot206.gif

DarkShadow

#15 Post by DarkShadow »

@ agam: You are presently rank "R0", like me. So you can add, but not edit an entry.
That's it.