List of Sites That Host Portable Apps

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Bahamut

List of Sites That Host Portable Apps

#1 Post by Bahamut »

Share your links
Last edited by Bahamut on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanbcohen

LiberKey comment

#2 Post by alanbcohen »

John Haller posted the following comment in a post on the PortableApps frums about his experience with LiberKey. I am passing it on in the public interest:
"I wouldn't touch anything they publish with a 10 foot pole. They were using all of our software with our copyrights, help files, source and license stripped off in violation of the GPL for over a year. When I instructed them to replace the source directories, credits, etc, they ignored the email and then, magically, a few weeks later they'd created closed source launchers for all the apps with purposely obfuscated configuration files. They have still refused to provide the source to their end-users (which they are required to do for a period of at least 3 years) or make them aware of the GPL and copyright violation.

They're still violating the GPL by refusing to provide the source for the apps they provide in binary form and refusing to release the source code for their installer. Not to mention violating Mozilla's trademarks. And most likely violating the license of the closed source software they are repackaging without permission.

So, not really the type of folks you'd trust." [ source: http://portableapps.com/comment/86596#comment-86596 ]

opendev

Re: LiberKey comment

#3 Post by opendev »

alanbcohen wrote:John Haller posted the following comment in a post on the PortableApps frums about his experience with LiberKey. I am passing it on in the public interest:
"I wouldn't touch ..."
Your message quotes, in a clearly deformed way, a message from John Haller. LiberKey cannot tolerate such a message nor such accusations. If you had taken time to install the LiberKey 3.0 or better, the all recent 4.0, you would have noted an absolutely undeniable point: the whole of technologies of our platform of portabilisation was completely and totally developed by the LiberKey team. Your charges seriously carry damage to our image and we ask you to cease this smear campaign.

Christophe Peuch (opendev)
LiberKey Project Manager

lajjal

#4 Post by lajjal »

You are both trying to clean up after your programs finish. A fundamentally flawed approach and one doomed in the long run so you can squabble all you like. It's of little or no importance.

ashghost

#5 Post by ashghost »

@opendev: I don't know if it was because of your English, but you seemed to say that alanbcohen misquoted Haller. Here is the source, which shows that he didn't: http://portableapps.com/node/8669#comment-86596

He's right about you violating license agreements. EVERY GPL program in your collection violates the license agreement, because the GPL states that you must provide the source code for any modifications that you make (the LESSER GPL, on the other hand, allows you to use open source code in closed source projects). Where are the sources for your launchers? ARE you not releasing the source because you're just using Haller's code?

Ameri-CAIN

#6 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

@opendev

If you spend some time looking through these forums, you will find many people here hate John Hallers Portable Apps, for various reasons. I'm sure if you could actually address Haller's claim, you could win over quite a few people for your cause. I personally like his work and I like the interest he has brought to the portable apps community. I don't feel that makes me biased, because I like a lot of the work going on in various circles of portable apps development. John Haller has laid the claim. ashghost pretty much verifed his statement. It is LiberKey, that must defend itself with proof.

Haller also does go out of his way to show you the legality of his Portable Apps, and won't allow anything on his site with out the source code, and proper licensing texts included. LiberKey is an interesting project, but is working behind closed doors while marketing to the open source community.

If Barack Obama, (U.S. Democratic Presidential nominee) has to answer to an e-mail spam saying he refuses to say the pledge of allegiance (America) by showing video footage of him in fact leading the pledge of allegiance, then what makes LiberKey any different? Like Obama is looking for the American publics vote, LiberKey is trying to gain the vote of a community that was here before them.

I am by no means promoting Barack Obama, but that was a slap in the face he had to address, and it was just random e-mail spam. LiberKey is looking at a claim that was made by someone that for the most part is respected in the portable apps community. To avoid addressing it is doing more damage than anyone on a forum making a comment can do.

opendev

#7 Post by opendev »

Thanks to have drawn my attention on my mistake concerning my answer to alanbcohen. It is obvious that my link to J.Haller's message was wrong. So, my apologies to alanbcohen to have said that the original message of J.Haller had been misquoted. As far as the rest of the debate is concerned, we consider that the accusations are far from the ethics standard of LiberKey. This is why an article will be available in a few days on LiberKey.com.

Christophe Peuch
LiberKey Project Manager

HappyPCGuy

Re: LiberKey comment

#8 Post by HappyPCGuy »

opendev wrote:If you had taken time to install the LiberKey 3.0 or better, the all recent 4.0, you would have noted an absolutely undeniable point: the whole of technologies of our platform of portabilisation was completely and totally developed by the LiberKey team
3.0 or better? what about before that? what about the v2 releases that had all the portableapps.com stuff in them with their source credits and splash screens removed?

enihoxhalli

Re: List of Sites That Host Portable Apps

#9 Post by enihoxhalli »

Thanks for taking time to help..