Router security configuration

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Router security configuration

#1 Post by Midas »

These days, you can't seem to be careful enough with managing your personal tech attack exposure, so here's a piece concerning domestic routers I found wholly sensible, easy to understand and thoroughly referenced, which makes it an excellent starting point for a personal security audit...
This site focuses on the security of routers. Period. If you are interested in faster WiFi, look elsewhere. [...] To be clear, this site is about ROUTER security, not ROUTING security.
As a Defensive Computing guy, I eventually realized that I needed to upgrade my own router security and get more up to speed on the topic. After all, if a router gets infected with malware, or re-configured in a malicious way, most people would never know. There is no anti-virus software for routers. [...] Router security may be a dull and boring topic, but it's important. For proof, see what can happen if your router gets hacked (=> https://routersecurity.org/whatcangowrong.php).

webfork

Re: Router security configuration

#2 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 am These days, you can't seem to be careful enough with managing your personal tech attack exposure, so here's a piece concerning domestic routers I found wholly sensible, easy to understand and thoroughly referenced, which makes it an excellent starting point for a personal security audit...
Well said, great resource. I got a lot out of looking through the suggestions here.

The only thing I didn't see was around power consumption. If your wireless router can do everything at a lower power level without affecting usage, that's the level you should use it at. You only need to run at full power if you have connectivity issues.

The fewer people that can access your router beyond the walls of your home, the better.

---

EDIT: I should note that a networking friend of mine said you cannot put metal near a router to try and force a direction. Meaning if you have a close neighbor you don't want accessing your signal, using a plate that faces your neighbor so only your side gets coverage. Unless you create some distance (3 feet or more), that creates interference and slows down the device.

Andrew Lee

Re: Router security configuration

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Nice list. Prompted me to check if IPv6 on my router was turned off (which it was by default).

Thanks!