HOWTO use tablet device with remote desktop to get a Windows tablet

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
webfork

HOWTO use tablet device with remote desktop to get a Windows tablet

#1 Post by webfork »

What to do with a tablet that’s gathering dust? Connect to your main computer to enable a Windows tablet.

I was gifted an expensive iPad thinking that I would have all sorts of uses for it but really it’s not doing anything beyond behaving as second monitor. Found something that seems to get some of the best of both platforms.

What does a remote table enable?
  • Do just about everything in Windows via a touch interface. I had to zoom in to use some older programs that have very small interfaces designed for a mouse.
  • Prefer some Windows e-reader programs, music, and voice-to-text tools.
  • Tablet voice recognition function better than Window's own tools.
  • Get to use the actual Firefox browser on iOS (and not just another Safari front-end).
Caveats: This process as described is intended for use over a local network, not over the Internet. Also, I haven't tested Android but it should function similarly.

System requirements
  • Network: I recommend a fast and responsive wireless router. Responsiveness is more important than speed for 95% of operations, so it's ideal to plug your destination Windows machine into the router via Ethernet.
  • Machines: Destination machine should be Windows 10 Pro, does not need to be recent. Tablet devices also don't need to be brand new. I tested this on a 10 year old laptop and a 3 year old iPad. EDIT: Windows 10 Home does not have Remote Desktop but there are some suggestions later in this thread about alternatives. Thanks Andrew Lee.

Steps
  1. Setup RDP on your laptop/desktop and download RDP on the tablet
  2. Install a program like Net Analyzer to track down the local up address.
  3. Once you find your device on the local network, connect to numbered address -- it's usually something like 192.168.1.5. (It's possible to setup "static" addresses so you don't have to mess with these numbers every time.)
  4. Enable sizing, font, and other settings:

In your browser, increase tab and font sizes (I set mine it to 120%):

Other notes:
    • Press and hold to right click
    • Use the included zoom feature if the screen is especially small
    • Remember that the built-in keyboard does not allow for audio. You need to use the RDP keyboard
    • Don’t bother with the windows narrator, it’s exceptionally hard to use in this mode.
    • "Tablet mode" is not especially better than just using larger fonts.
    • You can open the task manager by opening the keyboard and pressing control, alt, delete buttons

Other

Why not just buy a tablet computer?
    • Generally more expensive than standard laptops.
    • Windows tablet or 3-in-one devices tend to be fragile. The two touchscreen devices I have both have bubbling screen oddities, and I've seen other people with similar issues.

What’s is wrong with the iPad?

Although the build quality is strong and the case I got for the device is great, I've been remarkably disappointed:
    • In terms of freeware, any “free” or freemium apps on the app store are full of adware. There's a reason I don't talk about iOS on a freeware site despite having multiple iOS-based devices.
    • Loads of blah default apps like Apple Maps, Pages, and Numbers. Safari just not a great browser for anything but power efficiency and basic searching. Apple's plans for all these apps is to maybe slightly improve them over the coming 10 years.
    • Connecting to non-Apple tools and services or sync for everything from videos, audio, contacts, etc. basically the same as 10 years ago. As a company it's much more interested in it's profitable services business.
    • Lackluster eBook readers - Readdle's Documents is good but really for PDFs.
    • Annoying “upgrade” to HEIF image format.
    Related:
Last edited by webfork on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (some additional notes and edits thanks to thread replies)

Andrew Lee

Re: HOWTO use tablet device with remote desktop to get a Windows tablet

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

If you are using Windows 10 Home Edition, you might be out of luck with enabling RDP.

In that case, may I suggest NoMachine. I use the Android app to access a Win10 Home machine, but they have an iOS app as well.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: ...May I suggest NoMachine.
Cool suggestion -- haven't tested it but already love the multi-platform and freeware approach... 8)
Go from your desktop to any NoMachine-enabled computer at the speed of light. Thanks to our NX technology, NoMachine is the fastest and highest quality remote desktop you have ever tried. Get to any computer in the world in just a few clicks! Take what's important where you go and share with who you want! NoMachine is your own personal server, private and secure. Did we say NoMachine is free? No strings attached.

Mike.S.G.

#4 Post by Mike.S.G. »

A few years back I had a number of small jobs I agreed to do for family and friends... washing machings, water heaters, etc. I'm not an appliance repair person so any guidance is helpful. In short, I used my tablet to view videos of tear-down and reassembly of my tasks, or read docs. The tablet had wifi but I didn't want to rely on it, some jobs were electrical and I'd need to cut power. I would save my "helps" to the device ahead of time. I'd hit the interwebs too, but mostly had needed video or docs at the ready, stored on the 64GB add-on card.

I picked up a modest Android tablet, one I didn't mind bruising from being used in garages, outside, etc. My tablet really made many tasks much easier having the needed guides so closely, though I still use paper manuals, digital is helpful too, easier on windy days when working outside.

More Important!

What made me want to post is the part in the first post about collecting dust. I had my tablet for about 4 years and used it regularly but I finished most of the jobs it assisted me with, so my tablet was returned to the very sturdy box it came in... I would check it periodically and charge it up... I was very disappointed when I went to grab it out of the box and it wouldn't move. I thought maybe I had put it back incorrectly, and the tablet was stuck - no - the battery had swelled about 3 times it's normal size and as I carefully slipped it from the box the battery inflated cracking the bezel, the display. It was done. This just happened, Nov. of 2021, and I had charged the battery and used the tablet maybe mid or late Oct... all was well.

Check your device's batteries often, they will swell and/or leak over time -- destroying your investment. Duracell right now seems to be one of the worst culprits, get them out of any device you aren't using, and check them regularly in any device you have them in.

I have a growing list of expensive items that couldn't be saved due to the corrosion caused from leaking batteries (I know, not the same as the tablet battery swelling issue). I figured I get this in my post too, maybe you can save something you forgot has 6 double As (AA) stored in it.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:30 pm If you are using Windows 10 Home Edition, you might be out of luck with enabling RDP.

In that case, may I suggest NoMachine. I use the Android app to access a Win10 Home machine, but they have an iOS app as well.
Excellent suggestions, thank you. I've updated the requirements bit in the first post.

I'll have to look into that program and see how it works with some of the touch functionality folks expect from tablet devices. It worked great via RDP but would much prefer a tool like this.
Mike.S.G wrote:.... the battery had swelled about 3 times it's normal size and as I carefully slipped it from the box the battery inflated cracking the bezel, the display. It was done. This just happened, Nov. of 2021, and I had charged the battery and used the tablet maybe mid or late Oct... all was well.
Yeah good note. I've had this same issue in 3 different devices now, including two Macbook Pros that generally have a reputation for higher quality parts.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Yeah, happened to me too. One was a 2-year old iPad Mini 4 (just past warranty), one was a 3-year old Lenovo tablet. Both have been actively used and charged. I don't think it can be avoided. It's just the luck of the draw, because I have similar devices that have lasted 5 or 6 years with no battery swelling issues (other than diminished ability to hold a charge).

Mike.S.G.

#7 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Let's see if I can add a few pics...

https://imgur.com/a/QGAZWqY

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:44 am Let's see if I can add a few pics...

Ouch :(

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Let's see if I can add a few pics...

Wow! :shock:

What was that brand again? I would want to avoid buying from them, considering that I have had my share of device mishaps -- e.g., the OLED screen of an expensive LG tablet got burn marks from lack of use -- but never have I ever seen anything like that...

Mike.S.G.

#10 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Midas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:23 pm
Mike.S.G. wrote: Let's see if I can add a few pics...

Wow! :shock:

What was that brand again? I would want to avoid buying from them, considering that I have had my share of device mishaps -- e.g., the OLED screen of an expensive LG tablet got burn marks from lack of use -- but never have I ever seen anything like that...
Yeah, it was a cheap tablet, basically a throw-away, use it until it dies.

NuVision TM101A620M -- https://www.nuvision.com/nuvision-mobile-computing -- the site has changed some, and this tablet is history.

It was a gift (christmas 2017, iirc). I don't remember who got it for me but it was from qvc or hsn (don't laugh), under $100. If you can load the page, all I could find was this link here -> https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071CNCNDK

I had zero experience with android, it was fun noodlin' around. I installed (and updated) some from google play, but I enjoyed more doing things the nerdy way, I forget where I would get the apk files, regardless it was fun. It looks like I got this thing in late 2017, so it lasted maybe 4 years.

Looking closer at the opened case, had I known, I would've spudged it apart and replaced the battery - looks easy and straight forward. It performed fine for my needs, it would have been worth the effort if a new battery was in the $30ish ballpark. Oh well, it's dead. I thru it in the black bucket because no one will take it with the battery like it is... all bloated.

Mike.S.G.

#11 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Sorry, I forgot to ask.

If you've used postimages.org, do have any idea why a 1.25mb .png image (like the 2 above) would violate their terms of use? I don't have an account, and tried to simply upload here -> https://postimages.org/ - kept getting the error message. I don't upload images much anymore, imageshack I think was the last place I used before they changed. I simply used the first place that would accept my uploads, imgur seems to have worked but man I hate these bloated sites.

I wanted to upload them here but they were rejected for size, I couldn't seem to find the size limitations in the faq, I did look :D

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:05 pm NuVision TM101A620M -- https://www.nuvision.com/nuvision-mobile-computing -- the site has changed some, and this tablet is history.

It was a gift (christmas 2017, iirc). I don't remember who got it for me but it was from qvc or hsn (don't laugh), under $100. If you can load the page, all I could find was this link here -> https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071CNCNDK[/url]
Holly molly, I have never seen any battery bloat up that bad! That's quite a shocker there.

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: If you've used postimages.org, do have any idea why a 1.25mb .png image (like the 2 above) would violate their terms of use? I don't have an account, and tried to simply upload here -> https://postimages.org/ - kept getting the error message.

I regularly use postimages, too, but I can't see any reason for that...
Spoiler!   
Apart from the fact that it seems to be russian or eastern europe based and some of those countries have really been cozying up with China lately, so perhaps your bad-mouthing of a product ruffled some feathers there... :twisted:
What is the maximum allowed file size on PostImage?

Images uploaded by both anonymous uploads and free accounts are limited to 24Mb and 10k x 10k pixels. Premium accounts are limited to 48Mb and 10k x 10k pixels.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Update: I found a Windows program aiming to make tablet interfaces more useful: Tablet Friend.

The program appears to be portable, saving to settings.yaml but I didn't perform an exhaustive test. I was much more interested in the interface.

GitHub - TabletFriend
https://github.com/Martenfur/TabletFriend

Softpedia:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-E ... iend.shtml

Reddit thread: - v1.1 Update and Getting Started guide! : r/Surface
https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/commen ... ?rdt=62741