Most popular portable software (Softpedia)

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
webfork

Most popular portable software (Softpedia)

#1 Post by webfork »

We have our own method for determining popularity, but don't really have a way to track downloads the way some sites do. That's why it was interesting to see Softpedia's popularity details for their portable software selection (you can sort by a few different methods, this link is sorted by download numbers). There's a few questions I have about these numbers, including how long these numbers go back and whether they count downloads for programs they don't actually host (and just link to).

Whatever the case, it's interesting to see many programs showing up repeatedly are compression and CD/DVD burning tools.

---

Related: Snapfiles' most popular are portable

Midas

Re: Most popular portable software (Softpedia)

#2 Post by Midas »

Cool, always good to have some figures. :)

webfork wrote:... whether they count downloads for programs they don't actually host (and just link to).

You're aware it's possible to measure the click-through, right? Maybe we should start doing the same...

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:22 am You're aware it's possible to measure the click-through, right? Maybe we should start doing the same...
True and we do have site logs I've been meaning to look through for ages that might actually track those. There's just too many other things I'm trying to stay on top of.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Each download click-thru currently counts as a guest upvote.

This is then used to in the computation of the entry's popularity score, which if I remember correctly, is a complex formula that mashes guest and member upvotes with windowing.