Ruffle - Flash Player emulator

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
billon

Ruffle - Flash Player emulator

#1 Post by billon »

https://ruffle.rs/
Ruffle is a Flash Player emulator written in Rust. Ruffle runs natively on all modern operating systems as a standalone application, and on all modern browsers through the use of WebAssembly.

aazard

Re: Ruffle - Flash Player emulator

#2 Post by aazard »

Its powerful, BUT BLOATED & Lacks a GUI interface (its cmd or "drag to shortcut")

LOOKS MORE FOR SITES/ONLINE. Desktop version is usable, but not by a novice. minor addition of "file load" window could ease this

this is: 10.7mb <- flash inside?

Flash offliner is: 1.8mb
Swffile is: 308kb
SWF File Player is: 600kb

is rust related to electron :wink: :roll: lol

I havent fully tested, but it seems to "have FULL flash embedded in it" (well a flash emulator).

OTHERWISE WHATS WITH THE EXTRA 8MB?

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

If it was Electron based you'd have not 8 but an 80MB overhead -- at least... :|

Rust is a newish programming language that is quite the fad right now.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:46 am Rust is a newish programming language that is quite the fad right now.
Rust-based software has a tendency to be more secure, which is (and has been for much of it's life) a problem with Flash. Given the millions of hours of work put into flash games and animations over the years and assuming they've actually implemented great security along with wide compatibility, this is spectacular news.

Also, credit where it's due, Rust is from Mozilla, although it's been mostly moved into an independent group after they hit some financial woes.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Update: this is still in development (last update was today) but hasn't moved out of what might be called a "beta" phase, only releasing "nightly" efforts rather than a specific release model.

I recently tested this out (the standalone program, not the browser add-on) and it does seem to be portable as it doesn't appear to carry settings between sessions.

One of the more complex SWF files I handed to it seemed to run slow but I didn't bother with all the available tweaks and customizations. So that might be me.