VPN experiences so far (seeking recommendations)

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
rfithen

Re: VPN experiences so far (seeking recommendations)

#16 Post by rfithen »

Mozilla just went live with their VPN

https://vpn.mozilla.org/

FWIW, it might be worth a shot?

blondie23

#17 Post by blondie23 »

I also use NordVPN and really am glad to have it. They are experienced, have a lot of features and also guarantee high privacy and protection. Additionally most of the streaming services work with it. That's not self-evident these days, most of Netflix etc. block VPNs and you can't watch anything. Speed and stability are also good, you don't have disruptions. There are some other pros, but you can read them in detail: https://vpn-anbieter-vergleich-test.de/nordvpn/. But I also heard vom friends that VyprVPN and Surfshark are great choices. If you are looking for a rather small but really very very into the privacy of users service OVPN would be your choice. It does a lot on the technical side to ensure users are safe. And its also fast due to WireGuard protocoll. Hope that helps, if you have any questions just ask :-)

mark5WB

#18 Post by mark5WB »

I really think that there is nothing better than ProtonVPN

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Quick update on the Mozilla VPN -- I tested the available VPN exceptions for local connections and was able to use that without issue for file exchange and remote desktop (RDP) connections.

Some issues I've had with the service:

1. I occasionally need to change servers
2. Modifying the list of 5 allowed devices was confusing (revoke? disconnect?)
3. There was a recent update notice but clicking on it or manually updating the client didn't seem to resolve the notice.
4. Last week saw a recent spike in CPU for the client. Restarting my machine seemed to resolve the issue.
5. Would like to see an easy way to expand that to 10 devices or more, but right now it looks like you need to sign up for a second account.

These are minor issues compared to others tested, and I'm still happy with the service so far.

Wishlist:

* Ability to run it on the router level like ExpressVPN. Would definitely pay a premium for that.
* As noted earlier, an optional feature to disable Internet whenever the VPN is not active. If due to a server issue, should first try a different connection when a server drops.
mark5WB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:27 am I really think that there is nothing better than ProtonVPN
As mentioned in the initial post, I tried ProtonVPN with their basic package and had issues. I have been following the Proton team for some time now and I'm impressed by some things they're putting together, so it's something I'd be willing to come back to.

LukeDavis

#21 Post by LukeDavis »

Check out https://securitygladiators.com/10-best- ... providers/ for one of the top 10 VPN's that you could choose from

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

After working with the program for many months, I'm posting an updated review for anyone following along. Still using the Mozilla VPN at this point but not averse to other options.

Pros:
  • Client software is easy to use and understand, allows local connections (e.g. your network printer).
  • Company has a lot to lose with some security/privacy disclosure as they've been playing that trumpet for years now.
  • Uses Wireguard under the hood, appears to be fully open source just like the Mozilla browser.
  • More broadly, it's a way to give a more diverse income (previously over focused on search-engines) to the only real non-Chrome browser effort.
Issues:
  • Doesn't work with two streaming services I've tested -- the services themselves detect and decline the VPN connection
  • Mobile client has had a few bugs, still need to change servers from time to time.
  • Client software still sometimes takes up a fair amount of CPU -- not clear why as I don't believe there's any complex filtering going on. Not a major issue, just odd.
  • Although definitely has the reputation and openness, I did see some concerns about the Image.
Recommendation

Setup a wireless hotspot in your home that's connected to Mozilla VPN and then have other computers connect to it wirelessly. The broadcasted connection will be automatically VPN'd for all connections. (There is of course a way to do this with a wired connection but I believe that it requires two Ethernet connectors / NICs.)

Note that this trick would work with most VPNs, but I recommend it specifically for Mozilla due to the client limit and somewhat mixed results with the iOS client.

SYSTEM

#23 Post by SYSTEM »

Another issue with Mozilla VPN: it's still only available in eight countries at this point (USA, Canada, UK, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Germany and France).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:02 am Another issue with Mozilla VPN: it's still only available in eight countries at this point (USA, Canada, UK, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Germany and France).
Agreed -- that's dramatically lower than multiple competing tools.

SYSTEM

#25 Post by SYSTEM »

A former malware distributor has acquired ExpressVPN: https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technol ... iew-sites/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:38 am A former malware distributor has acquired ExpressVPN: https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technol ... iew-sites/
That's unfortunate, but a very good article. Kudos to Restore Privacy and the author Sven Taylor for digging into that.

News background: Kape Technologies buys ExpressVPN for $936 mln
https://www.reuters.com/technology/kape ... 021-09-13/

CNET article on the topic -- not very encouraging.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... ghost-vpn/

---

EDIT: I am still using Mozilla's VPN service, which is working fine. The only thing I can add over previous posts is that Mozilla's unlikely to get bought by a former malware distributor.

Midas

#27 Post by Midas »

You might have trouble reading this, as the paywall has grown more aggressive in recent times, but the issue even made to the NYT pages recently:

rbon

#28 Post by rbon »

About ExpressVPN:
If you decide to use ExpressVPN, consider upgrading by downloading the executable from Major Geeks which appears to be an official mirror of the program.
You can also wait for the program itself to notify you that a new update is available, but the report occurs on average a week after the update has been released (and viewed by Major Geeks).
• Major Geeks's ExpressVPN page: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... ssvpn.html

The Major Geeks's page displays various versions:
• Download (EXE) - Windows executable
• Download (Chrome/Chromium) - extension
• Download (Firefox) - extension
• Download (Edge) - extension
• Download (Android) - Google Play Store (APK)
• Download (Linux) - executable from ExpressVPN's site
• Download (Mac) - executable from ExpressVPN's site
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

So quick update on my experiences with the Mozilla VPN service.

Short version: More than adequate for my needs but you'll want to memorize your password. If you MUST be connected and that connection MUST be on VPN, I'd probably go with a different service.

Long version

It's not perfect but it's a vast improvement over other software tested so far.

Pros
  • Quiet - Does a good job of staying out of my way.
  • Security / Privacy - Better confidence in overall security/privacy than a lot of other services.
  • Torrents - tried several tools, services, and connections without issue.
  • Responsiveness - Online games and voice/video calls over VPNs are fine with only rare, minor slowdown/glitch.
  • Speed - No issues on high bandwith appplications like video and HD youtube videos.
  • Services - no issues on either my home ISP, cell networks, or anywhere else.
Cons
  • Who are you again? At least once a month I have to re-login to one of my devices.
  • Streaming - Hulu service doesn't seem to care for Mozilla's VPN - it will fail if that's enabled.
  • Support - service was less than very responsive with a device that wouldn't connect. Have only engaged them once last year. They really need a chat support service.
  • iOS issues:
    • Connections with some cities seem to function better than others -- I almost never modify desktop connection but I'm constantly switching cities on my mobile. For US users, those in the central area seem to work better (Dallas and Chicago). I don't know if that's my device or the service.
    • When the device can't connect, the app just freezes - there's no ability to give up on the steps. I have to go into settings and disable VPN or switch to the free Lockdown adblock tool (which functions as a type of lite VPN).
Untested
  • Other streaming services
  • Android client
  • Multi-hop VPN - just really have no use for it, not really sure why you'd need it
  • The included adblock / tracker DNS block tools. I have these enabled but already have other tools overlapping so I'm not sure how well they work.
Wishlist
  • Really wish there was a "fastest/most reliable server option" I don't really care about location or most of the other goodies that come with this program. Shave 20% off the monthly price and I think everyone would buy this.
  • Some easy way to charge me a little extra for more than 5 connections.
  • Ability to block specific addresses / services within the app (primarily thinking of Facebook and it's affiliates)

juverax

#30 Post by juverax »

Just a recent article (March 21, 2022) "The best VPN of 2022" according to CNN:
The best VPN of 2022
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/cnn-unde ... index.html