Wubiuefi (Windows Linux install utility)

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Wubiuefi (Windows Linux install utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

Wubiuefi (https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/) is an advanced system installer utility designed to allow users to setup a fully working Ubuntu OS* to a virtual disk (AKA "loop device", in Linux speak) contained in a Windows formatted filesystem (i.e., FAT[32]/NTFS) with minimal fuss.

*) Compatible versions according to the latest Wubiuefi v19.10 (rev. 338) pre-release notes are:
Ubuntu (64 bit only), Kubuntu (*) (64 bit only), Ubuntu Studio (64 bit only), Ubuntu MATE (64 bit only), Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin (64 bit only), Ubuntu Budgie (64 bit only)

NOTE: Do not confuse Wubiuefi with apparently similar utilities like Universal USB Installer, Unetbootin or YUMI, which serve related but altogether different installation purposes.

Wubiuefi is liable to make installation of other Linux variations/'flavors' possible -- e.g., Linux Mint or even Debian based distros -- but the know-how involved is absolutely non-trivial, so novice users are advised to stick to Ubuntu. Furthermore, reading all the info, especially the FAQ (https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/wiki/FAQ), is highly recommended.

Wubiuefi is a Windows Installer for Ubuntu [...] Newer Windows systems are installed in UEFI mode by default. Unfortunately, in UEFI mode Microsoft has blocked some boot loader running it from Windows boot menu. [...] Ubuntu supports Secure Boot and Wubiuefi uses 'shimx64.efi' which is signed by Microsoft and allows loading of files signed by Canonical.

Wubiuefi releases can be downloaded from https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases -- but always keep in mind that different Ubuntu versions require different Wubiuefi releases for a trouble-free setup.

Midas

Re: Q4OS (Debian Linux Windows installer)

#2 Post by Midas »

FYI, Q4OS Windows installer is a related utility that will setup a fully functioning Debian based Linux (with a remarkable Windows-like graphic environment).
The easiest way to put Q4OS alongside Windows. Just run the setup guide from within Windows and install Q4OS as easily as any other application. Windows 10/8/7 compatible.

There's a very good video demo of the full Q4OS install process on Windows 10 that I'm linking here, since the procedure for all other utilities in this topic is pretty much the same.

Midas

Re: Other Wubi based Linux installers

#3 Post by Midas »

The grand-dad of such installers was (is?) Ubuntu developed Wubi, distributed with v07.04 up to v12.10(?), which allowed people to install Ubuntu from Windows without having to create bootable install media first.

The guide is still up at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide, but the image bellow pretty much sums it.

Once upon a time, there used to be mint4win, a similar utility meant specifically for Linux Mint v10.04 to v12.04 -- the source repo is still up at Github, check https://github.com/linuxmint/mint4win -- but there are no downloads left anywhere anymore.

Midas

Re: WSL(2) on Windows 10

#4 Post by Midas »

(Not my case but) Anyone running Windows 10 might(?) fare better by just going the Windows Linux Subsystem (WSL) route...

skris88

Re: Wubiuefi (Windows Linux install utility)

#5 Post by skris88 »

I've tried many many Linux distros this past decade, but Wubiuefi to install Xubuntu was easiest.  

Perhaps a small glitch, after installation it was stuck on the 'startup' screen for a while and I did not know if it was frozen (the circle icon kept circling) or working.  I left it for 30 mins then gave up and turned the computer off at the mains <gulp!>.

On reboot, I got a nice message from Microsoft asking whether I wanted to boot into Windows 10 or Xubuntu.  Perfect!  

Interestingly there isn't any new partition showing in Windows Disk Manager after the install, amazing!  But, any danger of the (possibly) hidden "file" for this might be destroyed by a Windows upgrade?  Only time will tell (if no one responds with an explanation).  Will respond back here if it does.  

In any case, MANY THANKS TO THE TEAM WHO PUT THIS TOGETHER - I'm happy to recommend this method to nervous Windows users, easy and painless!

:D

Midas

Re: Wubiuefi (Windows Linux install utility)

#6 Post by Midas »

skris88 wrote:Interestingly there isn't any new partition showing in Windows Disk Manager after the install, amazing!  But, any danger of the (possibly) hidden "file" for this might be destroyed by a Windows upgrade?  Only time will tell (if no one responds with an explanation).

FYI and when using Wubi(uefi), your (virtual) Linux partition is the 'root.disk' file inside the 'Ubuntu' folder located at the root of the drive you installed it to. Backup that (rather large) file and you're safe: should something happen, just restore it back.