Hardware vulnerabilities resources

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Hardware vulnerabilities resources

#1 Post by Midas »

CPU.fail (https://cpu.fail/) is a site with information and detection tools for various hardware vulnerabilities, supported by the Graz University of Technology in Austria.

Currently, the main page shows info about the following:
  • ZombieLoad
  • RIDL
  • Fallout
  • Store-To-Leak Forwarding
  • Meltdown UC
Q: Can my antivirus detect or block the these attacks?
A: While possible in theory, this is unlikely in practice. These attacks are hard to distinguish from regular benign applications. However, your antivirus may detect malware which uses the attacks by comparing binaries after they become known.

billon

Re: Hardware vulnerabilities resources

#2 Post by billon »

Midas wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 am Graz University of Technology in Germany.
In Austria

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

billon wrote: In Austria
Right, in Austria. Corrected. :mrgreen:

bitcoin

#4 Post by bitcoin »

i turned off Windows Updates - will there be patches from MS that i need to download to fix these?

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

From ThreatPost, insights on the team behind the disclosure of several of these vulnerabilities...

Daniel Gruss, the researcher on the team behind the #Spectre, #Meltdown – and most recently, #ZombieLoad – CPU attacks, gives an inside look into the disclosure process and discovery of the flaws.

bitcoin wrote: i turned off Windows Updates - will there be patches from MS that i need to download to fix these?
I'm quite sure of it -- but can't really help you more than to advise you to look at Ghacks.net; the site's owner there gives pretty good coverage of MS updates.

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:15 am From ThreatPost, insights on the team behind the disclosure of several of these vulnerabilities...

Daniel Gruss, the researcher on the team behind the #Spectre, #Meltdown – and most recently, #ZombieLoad – CPU attacks, gives an inside look into the disclosure process and discovery of the flaws.
Thanks. Excellent read. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

bitcoin

#7 Post by bitcoin »

Midas wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:15 am
bitcoin wrote: i turned off Windows Updates - will there be patches from MS that i need to download to fix these?
I'm quite sure of it -- but can't really help you more than to advise you to look at Ghacks.net; the site's owner there gives pretty good coverage of MS updates.
thanks, i'll check it out