Windows 98 anyone?

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Windows 98 anyone?

#1 Post by Midas »

While a lot of people seem to be bent on making Windows XP go away, this is still a thing... :shock:
author http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html wrote:
UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a (Freeware)

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows98 SE. But I made a Service Pack for Windows98 SE users. It contains all Windows98 SE updates from Windows Update site and more.
Only mention I found around TPFC is at viewtopic.php?t=3343. Softpedia page at www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Unofficial-Windows--SE-Service-Pack--Final-Download-9065.html.

Also no mention of disk cost but the downloadable package is roughly 17MB. Anyone for a Windows on (way) less than a Gigabyte and able to run on 32MB of RAM? :D

BTW, this topic is now irretrievable via forum search, since both "windows" and "98" keywords will be promptly discarded...

windows98

__philippe

Re: Windows 98 anyone?

#2 Post by __philippe »

Midas wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:19 am While a lot of people seem to be bent on making Windows XP go away, this is still a thing... :shock:
...those people can take away my WinXP when they pry it from my cold dead fingers... :mrgreen:
Midas wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:19 am BTW, this topic is now irretrievable via forum search, since both "windows" and "98" keywords will be promptly discarded...
...but "WinXP" is indexed alright...;-)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

author http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html wrote:UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a (Freeware)

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows98 SE. But I made a Service Pack for Windows98 SE users. It contains all Windows98 SE updates from Windows Update site and more.
That's very handy. There are a log list of great games that worked best on that platform and the "SE" setup was ideal among them.

Kudos to the author.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

A video that makes a really nice complement for the present topic -- or merely as time-waster for the nostalgic... :wink:

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

And... etch another one for WASM: you can now run Windows 98 in your browser -- irrespective of it being Chrome-based or not -- just after this little jump...
Well, you can in fact run a bunch of different OSes in the browser -- including all Windows up to 2000 and MS-DOS v6.22 -- just check the full list at https://copy.sh/v86/, where you can set some pre-launch system options and even add floppy disk images...

Previously, I was only aware of (Electron-based) Windows 95 (viewtopic.php?p=91573#p91573).

DOS, Windows95, Windows98, Windows2000