Lantern (anti online blocking)

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Lantern (anti online blocking)

#1 Post by Midas »

I haven't tested multi-platform OSS Lantern, but with the autocratic craze going on globally, resources like this are turning into a must have...

Apparently, Lantern is made available by the people behind Limewire. You should also be aware that Lantern isn't really an anonymity tool, just an unblocker -- for further info, read their FAQ (https://getlantern.org/faq/).
Latest Windows release is v2.2.5 (no changelog, see https://github.com/getlantern/lantern/releases).

shnbwmn

Re: Lantern (anti online blocking)

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

Another similar program is Psiphon.
Last edited by shnbwmn on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

shnbwmn wrote:Another similar program is Psiphon.
  • Good call, shnbwmn. The more options, the better. 8)

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

Midas wrote: -- for further info, read their FAQ (https://getlantern.org/faq/)...
For a good FAQ time, better call here...;-)

smaragdus

Re: Upgrade to Lantern Pro

#5 Post by smaragdus »

I saw this screen on first start. No, thanks. I am done with Lantern. I could not find which version it was since it did not show any version number.

Edit

BEWARE!

This evil thing, this lantern of hell destroyed one of my servers. System restore saved me. Be careful and better avoid the wicked lantern if you are not searching for trouble.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

I'm sorry for your woes, smaragdus. Care to share more details?
__philippe wrote:For a good FAQ time, better call here...;-)

smaragdus

Re: Lantern

#7 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
I'm sorry for your woes, smaragdus. Care to share more details?
In short, when I saw "Upgrade to Lantern Pro" welcome screen my enthusiasm about testing Lantern waned so I exited it and immediately uninstalled it. I accidentally noticed some strange behaviour of Weezo tray icon (I had been using it for about 3 years without any issues whatsoever). I opened it and saw that the server was not accessible. Restarting the program didn't help. Nor did help running a back-up copy of the server. I started a new portable version (Weezo wizard) and it failed as well. Windows restart was also to no avail either. I was so panicky that it didn't occurred to me to take screen-shots. I resorted to system restore (perhaps the best thing Microsoft has ever created) and voila, Weezo was running fine again, sound and reachable. This is my story about Lantern.