Thindownload.com [discontinued]

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Local

#16 Post by Local »

To be truthful GrannyGeek I didn't get the trial version so I can't answer about that.

It's possible, when it is run it recommends you always start from a fresh installation so I can't think of another way to keep you to the 30 day trial limit.

I'd tell you where I found the full version but I don't think that kind of discussion would be appreciated on this forum.

On the bright side, I think I may have discovered why the apps were so big from ThinDownload.

The default settings for Thinstall is for no compression, the compression itself is amazing though.
I got about 40MB of app into a 14MB executable.

EDIT: Too much cut and paste :evil:
Last edited by Local on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannyGeek

#17 Post by grannyGeek »

Well, the info I read didn't specify that the online connection was only required for the eval version, it implied that it was standard procedure. It was a pretty old page though, so maybe that procedure was phased out.

If so, that is good news, I could try out the demo with no hassles.

pipetman

#18 Post by pipetman »

I got an evaluation version of the ThinstallVS and successfully made a few portable applications (even Photoshop CS2 worked, but came in at a whopping 500 MB). I installed ThinstallVS itself in a virtual machine (easiest way to have that clean XP install, they recommend) and turned off the VM network interface and the compilation run through without complaints.

Local

#19 Post by Local »

Photoshop CS2 worked, but came in at a whopping 500 MB
??????????

You might want to tweak your settings.
CS2 photoshop and imageready weigh in at 166MB on mine.
Both work fine on a completely fresh install too.
Try using compression before packing.

Have you managed to get nero working?
I tried the complete suite with full codecs launched through smart start but when it comes to opening it, it just hangs.

pipetman

#20 Post by pipetman »

I just found out about the compression option last night. Definitely have to redo this. The different isolation option for the sandbox are pretty neat too (CopyWrite vs Merged).

I' not using Nero (InfraRecorder is fine for my needs), so I can't test it.

FITS

thinstalled freeware

#21 Post by FITS »

i have a forum located at http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/thinstallednfre.html called thinstall freeware if there is a free program that you want to run of a USB unit post a request there and soon as i can i will put in to thinstall and post a link on the site to the file if you want to test my way of thinstalliung things check out this file http://rapidshare.com/files/70535074/Safari_304.exe all feed back is welcome

pipetman

#22 Post by pipetman »

@FITS: That's an awesome service to offer. Ever since my Thinstall demo license run out, I miss it dearly. Even more so, since I - naively - assumed the portable apps I built with the demo version would still run after the 30 day evaluation period.

When you thinstall an application, would I also be able to specify preferences for isolation mode, compression etc.? Or do you have fixed defaults for that?

Would you also consider building from applications that are not freeware, but shareware/payware instead? I'm thinking of apps, that can be freely downloaded/tested and require a license code to fully function. The user could then download the thinstalled demo version and enter his license code (which would then go into the sandbox).

This being potentially great service to use, there is of course also a caveat, when running a thinstalled application, that wasn't built by oneself. You can't really make sure, that the thinstall package doesn't contain any viruses or back doors and scanning for those inside thinstall exe files is not quite possible yet AFAIK.

FITS

#23 Post by FITS »

pipetman wrote: When you thinstall an application, would I also be able to specify preferences for isolation mode, compression etc.? Or do you have fixed defaults for that?[/quote="pipetman"]

i have some settings that i use all the time when thinstalling apps like small compression
pipetman wrote: Would you also consider building from applications that are not freeware, but shareware/payware instead? I'm thinking of apps, that can be freely downloaded/tested and require a license code to fully function. The user could then download the thinstalled demo version and enter his license code (which would then go into the sandbox).
pipetman wrote: at this point in time i use remove sandbox method on my builds but i have a request from a user for the ability to write settings to sandbox and keep it on a usb
i use vmware as a PC for windows xp i also have deep freeze on the vm image the my vmware is not connected to my LAN let alone the internet
i only do 1 app at a time then reboot the vm pc so any apps that have sviruses or back doors wont be around for long any app that i have on my site i use or receive requests from users here this is the only place that i know of that has a link to my service

FITS

Re: Thindownload

#24 Post by FITS »

i have today looked at the site below winamp on the site below is 26 mb

i have it clocking in at 13mb plus i offer a keep sandbox vesion (files ending in SB) of all my software that i have or will create the
acgrego wrote:I discovered this site with "thinstalled" freeware.

Take a look at:

http://www.thindownload.com/

Greetings

malikorx69

Free stand-alone software

#25 Post by malikorx69 »

http://www.thindownload.com

ThinDownload offers a huge amount of free software in a portable, Thinstalled version. Every Thinstalled application consists of only one executable EXE file and there is no more need for an installation.

For more information on what a "Thinstalled" application is, please refer to http://www.thinstall.com for more information. Enjoy!

malikorx69

#26 Post by malikorx69 »

I own a copy of Thinstall and it works perfectly. I have only used it on a few apps. I have created Thinstalled versions of the following:

CCleaner
Nero 8
EasyCleaner
LimeWire
Recuva
Songbird
MSN Messenger
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
RocketDock

And before anyone asks, no I will not be making these available for download. That is against the license agreement that I agreed to when I purchased Thinstall.

Onesimus Prime

More info./? (Yes, a statement and a question)

#27 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Well, apparently Thinstall was acquired by VMWare about a half-month ago. I'm hoping that this will (eventually) result in a much more reasonable price for private/"small-time" users, but who knows.

malikorx69, your mention of the license agreement makes me curious: how then are people/entities like FITS or ThinDownload able to do the "packaging" of freeware that they do? Are there different levels of license agreement, or something? I'd be interested in hearing more of what the one you agreed to consists of, assuming it doesn't also have a "confidentiality clause." :lol:

malikorx69

#28 Post by malikorx69 »

I'm sure that the people at Thindownload and I had the same license agreement tp sign, the only difference is that I am actually going to adhere to the agreement. It is illegal to distribute Thinstalled software, according to the EULA. That keeps me from distributing software that I have Thinstalled, but doesn't necessarily keep others from downloading software that someone else Thinstalled. Basically, I won't distribute software because it would get me into trouble. But I don't mind sharing a link to a site that will get the site owners in trouble :lol:

pipetman

#29 Post by pipetman »

Thinstall is linking from their site to the Thindownload site. See here:

https://thinstall.com/sales/demo.php

I can't imagine, Thinstall would do that, if Thindownload violated the license agreement. So, maybe they have a special deal with Thinstall (?).

malikorx69

#30 Post by malikorx69 »

That is very possible. Or perhaps the creators of Thindownload are also the creators of Thinstall. Seems unlikely but it could hold true. Thinstall hosts Thindownload to give people, possible customers, a chance to work with and try out the Thinstalled apps so that they get a feel for them and can see how purchasing Thinstall would benefit them.