OneNote is now free

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
bitcoin

Re: OneNote is now free

#16 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:58 pm
bitcoin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:22 am tried to add One Note for screenshot OCR and the installer downloaded and added the entire MS Office suite. Then to actually use the program i needed to sign up for a Microsoft email acct :(

now trying Capture2Text instead
I'm not surprised by the MS email account requirement, but by "the entire MS Office suite," do you mean several hundred meg download for Word/Excel/etc?
maybe shouldn't have said the entire MS office suite but it downloaded garbage for like 30 minutes before finishing and after restart i got all kinds of firewall popups that said it was trying to connect to the internet

when i used Bulk Cr@p Uninstaller there were about 6 items to check for removal

webfork

Re: OneNote is now free

#17 Post by webfork »

I don't generally use Microsoft productivity tools unless I have to, but an addition to the web version of some MS Office tools (including OneNote) is surprisingly good. It takes a lot of similar functions (two that I use frequently are the Firefox Reader view and the Readle iOS PDF and eBook reader) and throws in a lot more.

Image Image care of this page.

NOTE: Microsoft's website is unclear about supported tools for good reason: there are a number of tools with the same name but different functions inside various office products. At this writing, there's an Immersive Reader inside the installed version of Word 2016 that's wildly different (not great) from the web tools.

https://theother-it.com/immersive-reade ... office-365

Features:
  • Very strong text-to-speech tools
  • A "focus" mode that blocks out the area outside what you're actually reading, fonts, spacing, backgrounds, and excellent voice-to-text.
  • Show parts of speech, which is something I'm not sure other people need (outside of translations), but I'll definitely use it in some of my documentation
Official page (sort of)
https://www.onenote.com/learningtools