The Best Free Text Editors for Windows, Linux, and Mac

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
I am Baas

#1 Post by I am Baas »

In this article, we’ve gathered links to many different text editors used for different purposes. You can use text editors for basic text editing and taking notes, writing programming code, producing LaTeX documents, writing a book, among many other uses.

carbonize

Re: The Best Free Text Editors for Windows, Linux, and Mac

#2 Post by carbonize »

Seems a pretty pointless article. Less an article more just a list. Would of been better off just as a table.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:Seems a pretty pointless article. Less an article more just a list. Would of been better off just as a table.
I didn't think it was pointless: there was some nice categorization and an invitation to try them out as well as an indication that notepad programs are incredibly varied now. I did find myself wishing the author did more of a FWG thing where he indicated what he preferred and why. Just mentioning a program in that format is a recommendation and there are clearly superior offerings. For example, CryptoTE is far, far superior to fSekrit or LockNote.

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

I still stand by my statement that it was just a list. The author offers no personal opinion on any of the programs and gives no indication that they actually used any of them. It all reads like someone who searched download sites and them paraphrased the descriptions.

abc

#5 Post by abc »

LaTeX Editor and TeXstudio are listed portable and not in the tpfc database yet. :!:

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

abc wrote:LaTeX Editor and TeXstudio are listed portable and not in the tpfc database yet. :!:
I don't think we have any LaTeX-based tools in the database. Its kind of a specific use format.

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

I recently started to use gedit as the lightweight text editor. Recommended. :)

vevy

#8 Post by vevy »

Umm...
This is meant to be a comprehensive list of TextEditors regardless of classification. Every editor in this collection of reviews should be listed below. Another way to view this site is to use the TextEditorFamilies page to drill down based on lineage.

There are 1,944 editors listed as of December 5th, 2020.
http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EditorIndex

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:55 am There are 1,944 editors listed as of December 5th, 2020.
That's impressive but I was actually more drawn to the breakdown on how people pick an editor. This is probably a model for how a lot of people select software more broadly.