Leelu Soft Warning

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
I am Baas

Leelu Soft Warning

#1 Post by I am Baas »

The software installers offered by http://leelusoft.blogspot.com/ contain adware (BetterInstaller) similar to the one described at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 207#p46207

webfork

Re: Leelu Soft Warning

#2 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:The software installers offered by http://leelusoft.blogspot.com/ contain adware (BetterInstaller) similar to the one described at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 207#p46207
Noted. Should we put a disclaimer on http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1742 or take it down?

Napiophelios

#3 Post by Napiophelios »

Only the installers have the adware "offers", not in the no-install zip files.

The Leelusoft VDM in the DB doesnt seem to have the adware.
I would leave it be.
It should be noted for downloaders make sure to use the Mediafire mirror link tho

Anyone who selects an installer over a portable gets what they deserve :twisted:

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:It should be noted for downloaders make sure to use the Mediafire mirror link
Note added to the entry.

Napiophelios

#5 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:It should be noted for downloaders make sure to use the Mediafire mirror link
Note added to the entry.
I dont think there is an installer version Webfork,
but on the download page the link takes you to some odd file host that wants you to download their downloader..very weird.I think you have to register with the site to actually download anything IDK I couldnt figure it out.

The Mediafire link isnt quite so pronounced but it does work.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:I dont think there is an installer version Webfork,
but on the download page the link takes you to some odd file host that wants you to download their downloader..very weird.I think you have to register with the site to actually download anything IDK I couldnt figure it out.

The Mediafire link isnt quite so pronounced but it does work.
Weird. Well, for simplicity, I'll just put "other" since referencing mediafire specifically seems problematic: the author may switch download services or they might suffer the same fate as megaupload.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

@webfork

I believe LeeluSoft have a few entries in the db, not just VDM ... I found another one @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1820

@Napiophelios
"offers"? It silently installs crap without the the users knowledge/permission. If it only were "offers", I wouldn't bother to post the warning.

Now, you are correct that the noinstall pacages are clean but the question is, can you trust a developer that does things the sneaky way? Is it worth the time it takes to check and double check their software to make sure it does not come with unwanted baggage?

Napiophelios

#8 Post by Napiophelios »

I guess it is kinda sneaky,
but if you are not just clicking buttons to rush an install;
its clear they offer a quick installation (the sneaky shit you are refering to)
as well as a custom installation which allows you to uncheck the adware.

Granted I only tested one of their installers (XP Quick Fix Plus Setup)
and it clearly says during install that its a special offer which I declined without incident.

I mean if it still installed the search bar even after I decline,
then I would agree its sneaky snake tactics are intolerable,
but it didnt.

Its just a programmer trying to make some money on his more popular downloads

and for the record,I am not condoning such things,
and I wasnt trying to diminish your feeling on the matter by using the quotations.

I download and test software like a feind
I guess I have just gotten used to this kinda stuff

zvikai

#9 Post by zvikai »

Hi, This is LeeLu Soft.
My software is clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The installer is suggesting to install some third party software, it is the user decision if he want to install the third party or not, othe tant thet the software is clean !!! and it was checked and aproved by all the major download sites.
People are getting my software for free, so what is the problem if I'm trying to make some money from this third party software ??
If you don't want it, don't select to install it, you are still getting it for free and it is clean and high quality software.
Other than that, the software is clean !! and yes it is portable, take the executable and test it on any other PC or run it from a USB drive and you will see it is protable.
My software dowsn't change any components of the OS ! and doesn't install anything by itself !

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

zvikai wrote:My software is clean !
People are getting my software for free, so what is the problem if I'm trying to make some money from this third party software?
Thanks for responding -- its always nice having the developers on the forums.

We have no issue with you trying to make money off your software, but we do want to label software correctly. For example Softpedia lists one your programs as ad-supported and not freeware. There are other freeware programs here on the site that have qualified as adware but, as a volunteer-edited site, many of the contributors here avoid software with bundled ad software, whether there is a way to opt-out or not.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (better wording)

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

zvikai wrote:My software is clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!
WoW, what a gasper. So many exclamation marks deserve even more caution.

Your software may be clean but the installer is not. I would classify it as adware and spyware. The moment it is run, it scans the computer/registry and sends data home without any user consent (Oh, and it also leaves betterinstaller.exe behind).
zvikai wrote:People are getting my software for free, so what is the problem if I'm trying to make some money from this third party software ??
Well, "for free"? Depends how you look at it, I guess. There is no problem with you trying to moneytize your work. The problem is with you not being upfront about it.

Btw, is that the reason for removing all the download links for the portable packages?

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

For whatever it's worth, I stand by the position of I am Baas -- not to look a given horse in the tooth, but it's MY hard worked system that crap is getting installed on, so it's always good to know exactly what the program(er)'s intentions are...

zvikai

#13 Post by zvikai »

You can believe in whatever you want , when each of my tools is downloaded and installed thousands of times every day, and when users likes them and are asking form more, and most of the tools are getting 5 starts by most of the large download sites, it's OK by me if you will not use them.
The different between us is that you are just guessing and I wrote the code, if there is someone that knows if the software is clean it is me and not you.
For someone how claims he have a lot of knowledge it is a little surprising that you install something by clicking next-next-next and not reading what the installer says.
Have a nice day in the paranoia city…

SYSTEM

#14 Post by SYSTEM »

zvikai wrote:For someone how claims he have a lot of knowledge it is a little surprising that you install something by clicking next-next-next and not reading what the installer says.
Have a nice day in the paranoia city…
We are only warning the visitors of this site so that they don't "install something by clicking next-next-next and not reading what the installer says."
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

zvikai wrote:You can believe in whatever you want ... it's OK by me if you will not use them ... someone that knows if the software is clean it is me and not you ... For someone how claims he have a lot of knowledge it is a little surprising ... Have a nice day in the paranoia city…
I'm guessing you feel a little insulted here and I don't blame you for feeling upset, but I think your purposes are better served pointing out behavior in your program, soliciting outside verification, or explaining in detail what your program does and doesn't do in terms of behavior on a host system.

Engaging is useful because although this forum is currently critical of your software, it could easily turn into an advocate.