A Windows XP x64 backport of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly 1.5.1

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
h3kt0r

A Windows XP x64 backport of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly 1.5.1

#1 Post by h3kt0r »

A short while ago, user Ergo asked about a possible backport for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly to make it run on Windows XP in a discussion about a similar Ion Fury backport, [see here]. Having looked through the code and the MSVC build system of the latest version 1.5.1 of that game made me think I couldn’t probably fix all this… but i still gave it a shot. The required changes were quite extensive actually, and mostly revolved around ripping out the game’s [Discord] integration. That being the major part, some DXGI, Direct3D 10.x & 11.x error reporting code was also failing on top of some other, rather minor things related to the project configuration for the compiler and linker.

Way I understand it, the game’s Discord integration is mainly for reporting your player status (faction, level, current task, etc.) on the game’s Discord channel, so let’s just call this feature “non-essential”. ;)

In the end it took me multiple days and many failures to get there, but against all my expectations I actually managed to compile and link the code to a Windows XP x64 platform target. That – naturally – was only the first step. Code that compiles and links is one thing, code that runs and works is an entirely different story however. ;)
Read this glorious story here...

dmiranda

Re: A Windows XP x64 backport of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly 1.5.1

#2 Post by dmiranda »

He he. I don't play games, but what this guy did (and how well he tells it) is quite an accomplishment. Its implications are as well glorious, indeed.