XP compatible software

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Re: XP compatible software

#106 Post by Midas »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:29 am
Notepad++ 7.9.2 is the last version to run on Windows XP.

Midas

#107 Post by Midas »

User dmiranda reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=3013#comment31555) that the last MPT version to support Windows XP is v1.28.10-legacy.

Andrew Lee

#108 Post by Andrew Lee »

Noted. I have updated the entry.

loin2kolpotoru

#109 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

ffmpeg-4.5-697-5541cff-win32-static-xpmod-sse xp compatible version is available

Midas

#110 Post by Midas »

User dmiranda reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1358#comment31621) that SMPlayer is no longer XP compatible (according to their post elsewhere, v21.1.0.0 is the last version that is).

The resource used by dmiranda could prove useful for people looking for software able to run on XP:
Lastly, the database posting engine appears to be mangling URLs -- e.g., by inserting extraneous HTML entities such as '&' instead of literal "&"...

Thus,

Code: Select all

https://msfn.org/board/topic/176299-latest-version-of-software-running-on-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1133384
should be instead

Code: Select all

https://msfn.org/board/topic/176299-latest-version-of-software-running-on-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1133384

Andrew Lee

#111 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:21 am Lastly, the database posting engine appears to be mangling URLs -- e.g., by inserting extraneous HTML entities such as '&' instead of literal "&"...
Noted. Will manually patched up the comment, and fix the code eventually. Thanks!

Update: I have fixed the error that mangles the URL.

Midas

#112 Post by Midas »

JohnTHaller informed us (viewtopic.php?p=101957#p101957) that Portable K-Meleon browser is still getting weekly updates and remains XP compatible.

Midas

#113 Post by Midas »

Ennovy reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2703#comment31682) that, from v1.25, VeraCrypt no longer supports XP (as well as 7 and 8.x)...

computingsolutions

#114 Post by computingsolutions »

Pardon me, but i dont want to stumble on the wrong resources. Im adamant about word of mouth. Can you please point me in thr right direction for extremely competent software for modern Windows XP 64 use? i still use it on my main. I'm a tech by trade and support law firms remotely via my laptop and even run windows 10 in a virtual machine, but server 2003 enterprise x64 is my main OS. Mypal is my foundation, as well as 6.4.0.0 of filemenutools and for connecting my android for tethering, Easytether Pro. It works with Windows XP to Windows 11 with any android bluetooth or Wifi or USB tethering. Anyway, My main laptop has 32 gigs ram and a 1 gig video card haha, and a 2.7 gz octacore i7-3740QM. im able to run modern version of World of Warcraft in a VM on VMware Workstation 10.0.4 Windows 7 VM while chatting via discord and troubleshooting remotely Windows 10 pc's on Virtualbox at the same time EZ. i hope someone sees this and ill repost this wherever it's needed. I dont endorse copyright infringement as i do own a business in the States and cater to Data Integrity for Law Firms in the area and have been doing so since 1999. the tech hasnt changed much hoenstly in that regard. The most secure method is still to this day to take a physical backup home with you every night and give the secretary a bonus for doing so haha. if any would like to build a laptop that is super capable and ready to go and dual-boot windows 10 and windows xp 64 (you can still legally install it with downgrade license), then the only viable model is the one i have, the HP Elitebook 8470w 14 inch Workstation. it was the last and fastest model ever produced for Windows XP/2k/98 to be fully compatible and the first to be fully compatible with windows 10. meaning it has an actual bios. my model has a blu-ray burner, a 1 TB hard disk, a 512 GB SSD, 3 USB 3.0, ABGN Wifi, Bluetooth 4.0, Smartcard, ExpressCard54, Lan1000, Modem56k, 1600x900 high rez on non-glossy screen, 5.5 pounds, and the most important thing-just snaps right into the full dock to turn into a full-fledged old-school PC, complete with Parallel, Serial, extra HD bay, LAN passthrough. it has it all. and i got it for 300 USD.

Also, if any are wondering the absolute best mouse ever constructed, still to this day, that works with the newest games to the oldest down to windows 2000 and even a MAC or Linux, it's the Logitech G700. it has 13 Programmable buttons, is recharagable with standard USB, uses normal AA's, is actually Laser nor optical, is graphite construction, and will last longer than the computer. any profile you make through the Logitech Gaming Software, will be able to be transferred to any other version on any other OS. so you never have to make the settings again. You can still find a few on Ebay. the G700s replaced it and are not built as well. This is what i order for all my attorney clients and they have lasted 13 years and not one have failed. they are around 50 dollars and trust me get them while you can.

so for 300 dollars, 50 dollars, and a pack of blank discs, and a headset, you can have an awesome package running windows 10, 11, and windows xp 64. cheers. get with me and i can talk you through the entire thing, i even have an ISO image of windows xp 64 or windows server 2003 64 bit already pre-made with all the drivers plugged in for this machine and can talk you through anything remotely. id be more than happy to help any of you out. :) but beware getting the image from archive sites if you do not get it from me. only trust "Untouched MSDN ISO" with a SHA1 checksum guys :) cheers

hope to hear from you someone. ive never reached outside of my circle, and ive been a tech since my first job doing support for dial-up internet in 1999. i guess you can say i want XP to see some life because it was a golden age and people are drones now on computers. and making friends would be nice.

TO HELP THIS COMMUNITY, I DO INDEED HAVE A LIST OF FREE SOFTWARE THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE ONLINE TO FUNCTION AND WORKS ON XP. I HAVE THEM AVAILBLE AND HAVE ALWAYS USED OFFLINE SOFTWARE. MAYBE A MOD OR SOMEONE CAN PM ME AND I CAN SUBMIT.

SOMETHING I DO HOWEVER NEED IS A TEMP CONTROLLER. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A CUSTOMER OVERHEATING AND HE NEEDS A WAY TO KEEP HIS LAPTOP UNDERVOLTED ON XP. ANY IDEAS?

Midas

#115 Post by Midas »

computingsolutions wrote: SOMETHING I DO HOWEVER NEED IS A TEMP CONTROLLER. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A CUSTOMER OVERHEATING AND HE NEEDS A WAY TO KEEP HIS LAPTOP UNDERVOLTED ON XP. ANY IDEAS?
I don't have a ready solution, but I think the question would be better placed in a post to "Freeware Discussion" sub-forum, IMHO.

loin2kolpotoru

#116 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Audacium 3.0.4 (a Fork of Audacity) has been back ported to XP :D .

dmiranda

#117 Post by dmiranda »

Hi Midas and all,

You said: " User dmiranda reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1358#comment31621) that SMPlayer is no longer XP compatible (according to their post elsewhere, v21.1.0.0 is the last version that is)". An update below:

The latest (22.2) build for smplayer (https://www.smplayer.info/en/downloads) is working now in XP (portable at https://www.fosshub.com/SMPlayer.html?d ... 2-qt5.6.7z). This 22.2 build went back to use mplayer versioned 1.3.0.0, which used to run only files, not (dvd) directories - but now runs both, but with a green screen, in my set up-.

However, https://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/ has a build of the latest binary of mplayer for windows (search for "Build selection table" and select your build) that, replacing smplayer's mplayer 1.3 version, works well, although there is plenty of glitches/strange stuff happening until the movie starts. But it starts, running the vob files one by one with a small gap between them. That said, the version of mplayer reported in netfarm is 0.0.90, which I cannot quite understand. It plays, so no complain, but I wonder why this version difference.

Note that the MPV version built into it does not run in XP, and I wonder why is still there. Still, the latest version that runs can be found in https://sourceforge.net/projects/smplay ... er/17.3.0/ ).

(see https://msfn.org/board/topic/176299-lat ... nt=1219807)

Midas

#118 Post by Midas »

Thanks, dmiranda for taking the time to post your findings. Although I personally can't test any of it, I'm sure other XP users will appreciate it. 8)

JohnTHaller

#119 Post by JohnTHaller »

On a related note, I'm compiling PA.c Format builds for legacy versions of XP/Vista compatible apps. I posted a Windows XP, Vista, etc Compatible Software at PortableApps.com forum topic here on TPFC for folks to request missing apps.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Hangar0

#120 Post by Hangar0 »

yt-dlp, nicolaasjan fork xp version, Yt-dlp working on WinXP

Who here has a Youtube-DL compile for WinXP?
https://msfn.org/board/topic/184368-who ... nt-1240969

https://github.com/nicolaasjan/yt-dlp/releases
Latest yt-dlp 2023.04.02.055326
linux,mac,win,winxp...

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/def ... 0290c7626b
3/70 .. Popular threat label "trojan" :wink: