How do I create a portable launcher?

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
msnuser193

#31 Post by msnuser193 »

Eagle710

InstallRite and InstallWatch

#32 Post by Eagle710 »

InstallWatch and InstallRite are these good tools for making an application portable? Any advice please.....I would like to make MS Word portable

m^(2)

Re: InstallRite and InstallWatch

#33 Post by m^(2) »

Eagle710 wrote:InstallWatch and InstallRite are these good tools for making an application portable? Any advice please.....I would like to make MS Word portable
Wow..that sounds like a challenge.
I don't know these tools and can't tell you much about them, but you'll surely do better by starting with something smaller and easier.
And trying Word when you know it well already.

BTW installation isn't everything. I.e. some tools create registry keys on startup, when you save settings for the first time etc. So you should test it well not only during installation, but also with all possible kinds of work.
Yeah, that posses some problem with MS Word, I guess that practically you won't have it well tested.

Schumi 053

#34 Post by Schumi 053 »

Eagle710 wrote:"..please.....I would like to make MS Word portable"
I give U all I know..n..this is all I can do 4 U..thx 4 ur cooperation as forums friend.
See this..learn this (carefully) and download this.

Schumi 053

#35 Post by Schumi 053 »

..or maybe this.

msnuser193

What about Registry keys?

#36 Post by msnuser193 »

If I'm making a portable for a software that requires registry present, what can I do to make it portable? :?

msnuser193

Sorry for double posting

#37 Post by msnuser193 »

:? Any software can locate the registry entries of any application?
Thanks for viewing my post :lol:

Schumi 053

Re: Sorry for double posting

#38 Post by Schumi 053 »

msnuser193 wrote::? Any software can locate the registry entries of any application?
Thanks for viewing my post :lol:
:)
Try this.

msnuser193

#39 Post by msnuser193 »

O it doesn't work. It can only records registry traffic of the application, not all registry keys are recorded. :(

Schumi 053

#40 Post by Schumi 053 »

Try RegShot first under 2 stage..for installation and app running.
This must be done inside a clean Virtual OS.
Then apply RegFromApp for other possibly changes.
Gather all info together and make an analyze.

I believe many peoples here can do this better than me.
They are pro and a real programmer.
But maybe they have no such time to help you.

Napiophelios

#41 Post by Napiophelios »

Eagle710 wrote:InstallWatch and InstallRite are these good tools for making an application portable? Any advice please.....I would like to make MS Word portable
Depends on how you use them.

Installwatch is very handy if you just want to test a portables or a program for system leaks/changes or just want to know what exactly it is doing that you cant see.
It does this by taking system snapshots and recording changes made after an app is executed and closed.You can also export registry changes or just compare.Basically a good discovery tool.
Its very similar to Systracer and the like.

Installwatch is incorporated into InstallRite so thats really all you need.

InstallRite is an easy way to make "silent install" or just automated installs.
It takes a system snapshot..then records everything you do during the install of a program..then puts all the system changes into an "install kit"

So if you set a program the same way everytime then this just saves you time from filling in boxes and checking user agreements.

However you can also use it to glean registry "Tweaks" by taking a sys snapshot..change whatever..then instead of installing something just export the registry files.Edit the registry file accordingly and you have a custom reg Tweak.You have to be creative and it helps to be familiar with the system registry so that you know what you can and cannot exclude.

I use installrite to make silent install of programs I want to reduce in size cause after you install them you can slim them down to bare components,modify whatever you dont like, and even upx them and then build your installkit,
turning bloatware into reasonably sized installers.

Then run the new installer with JauntePE.exe to create a portable. :D

calm_observer

Re:

#42 Post by calm_observer »

Schumi 053 wrote:...I see many peoples agree with AutoIT..
uhm..powerful..easy than NSIS..many tutor..have their own comunity etc.
Are there any program better than AutoIT? thx :)
for someone new to programming i would recommend autoit, however another choice is autohotkey they also have a very active community. you can make apps portable using any of the three mentioned scripting languages. each autoit, and autohotkey has its advantages, and i use both depending upon the task at hand.

calm_observer

#43 Post by calm_observer »

may not be possible ~ will you are running as administrator?

msnuser193

Re:

#44 Post by msnuser193 »

msnuser193 wrote:O it doesn't work. It can only records registry traffic of the application, not all registry keys are recorded. :(
Wow, this is so long ago...
The feeling of the past is felt by looking at this thread...mixing with comfort,regret,and worries... :mrgreen:

msnuser193

Re:

#45 Post by msnuser193 »

Schumi 053 wrote:Try RegShot first under 2 stage..for installation and app running.
This must be done inside a clean Virtual OS.
Then apply RegFromApp for other possibly changes.
Gather all info together and make an analyze.

I believe many peoples here can do this better than me.
They are pro and a real programmer.
But maybe they have no such time to help you.
You r one 8)