Cannot install portable applications in Windows 10.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Darrellwilliams

Cannot install portable applications in Windows 10.

#1 Post by Darrellwilliams »

Hello Friends. I can't install any portable applications on Windows 10 PC. Just showing "error opening file for writing" error. I don't know why this is happening and how to solve this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Midas

Re: Cannot install portable applications in Windows 10.

#2 Post by Midas »

Hi, Darrellwilliams, welcome to TPFC forums.

I don't have a solution for you but just to kick the ball rolling, please tell us if you're able to install non-portable applications alright?

Also (although this isn't a requirement to run portables, it just might be for solving the problem) are you Administrator on that machine?

Darrellwilliams

#3 Post by Darrellwilliams »

Thanks for replying. You are correct; it seems the issue was with permission. I found this on Google and tried the solutions. After I started the portable Audacity with admin privileges, I didn’t get the error. It seems my Windows 10 is configured to not start or install any application without admin privileges.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Darrellwilliams wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:29 am Thanks for replying. You are correct; it seems the issue was with permission. I found this on Google and tried the solutions. After I started the portable Audacity with admin privileges, I didn’t get the error. It seems my Windows 10 is configured to not start or install any application without admin privileges.
Did you end up resolving the issue? Was it just a case of getting admin access or were there other permissions issues? I ask because I'm surprised to hear that running Audacity required admin. Audio editors are definitely not a program type I associate with higher system functions.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

If you have it in Program Files or a similar protected area, this will occur.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality