I'm looking for a program or method to compare the content, more than three txt files.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
dmocha

I'm looking for a program or method to compare the content, more than three txt files.

#1 Post by dmocha »

Hi,

I need your help. Looking through the forum resources, I found only the ability to compare three files.
I need to find differences for more text files. This currently applies to 15 files with the same structure.
Does anyone know the way or program or method?

billon

Re: I'm looking for a program or method to compare the content, more than three txt files.

#2 Post by billon »

Launching 5 instances of the program and excluding files one by one?

webfork

Re: I'm looking for a program or method to compare the content, more than three txt files.

#3 Post by webfork »

dmocha wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:01 am I need your help. Looking through the forum resources, I found only the ability to compare three files.
I need to find differences for more text files. This currently applies to 15 files with the same structure.
Does anyone know the way or program or method?
I've done a bit of this so I have some suggestions. The file type might be helpful. Are these all text files? Is this source code? Is this XML? Are they 15 drafts of your screenplay? What kind of analysis would be useful? Do you need a report that shows edits over time?

Note that freeware tools for complex operations like this are going to only get you so far, but initially I've noticed that WinMerge covers a lot of ground. I recommend messing around with the settings a bit too -- there's a LOT under the hood and it isn't well documented. It's sort of a trial-and-error kind of thing to get a good analysis. Notepad++ also has a plugin for comparison that is simpler but also seemed to catch some headings better than WinMerge.

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

http://diffuse.sourceforge.net/ can do many files

Code: Select all

diffuse file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6 file7 file8 file9 file10 etc etc

Wide or multi-monitor setup advised :)