Database updates

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Ennovy

Database updates

#1 Post by Ennovy »

It happened before, that when I update an entry in the database the What's new field is emptied, also when nothing has changed in that field.
Sometimes I add one character (space) at the end of a line, thinking to prevent this, but that doesn't help.
For instance PhraseExpress that I updated today https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2208
Please click on the update history and you wil see that I often had to enter the data in this field again.
Can anyone confirm this?
Hope that I explained the problem correctly in english :)

billon

Re: Database updates

#2 Post by billon »

Yes, when version only changed but nothing changed in the "What's new?" field, change-log disappears

Checker

#3 Post by Checker »

@Ennovy: An update of the version number always clears the "what's new?"-field.
Simply copy the text and paste it into the field with a second change if you want it unchanged.

Ennovy

#4 Post by Ennovy »

Checker wrote:Simply copy the text and paste it into the field with a second change if you want it unchanged.
That's what I am doing already, but I thought it was a bug or something.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have verified that this is indeed the implemented behaviour and not a bug. The idea being if it's a new version, the old changelog shouldn't apply and should be cleared.

The logic is this: If (new version not equal old version) and (new changelog equals old changelog), clear changelog.

If this behaviour is undesirable, it can be disabled. But I thought it's pretty reasonable to ensure the old changelog does not persist if the version number is updated.

Ennovy

#6 Post by Ennovy »

Andrew Lee wrote:I have verified that this is indeed the implemented behaviour and not a bug. The idea being if it's a new version, the old changelog shouldn't apply and should be cleared.

The logic is this: If (new version not equal old version) and (new changelog equals old changelog), clear changelog.

If this behaviour is undesirable, it can be disabled. But I thought it's pretty reasonable to ensure the old changelog does not persist if the version number is updated.
I understand the reason of this behaviour and the logic. IMHO you don't have to disable it.
Thanks for clarifying!

lintalist

#7 Post by lintalist »

Andrew Lee wrote:But I thought it's pretty reasonable to ensure the old changelog does not persist if the version number is updated.
As everyone knows billon does great work with all his updates of course. Just a thought: from what I see is that the "changelog" link is often pretty standard, it doesn't change for some programs. Perhaps adding a checkbox next to "What's new?" to "not erase content" or "make it permalink" or something like that.

In such a case it would simply reuse the content from What's new? that is already there avoiding the need to recopy the info.
Perhaps to complicated or confusing but I thought I'd suggest it.

Happy New Year!

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote:Just a thought
That's a really good idea.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

lintalist wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote:But I thought it's pretty reasonable to ensure the old changelog does not persist if the version number is updated.
As everyone knows billon does great work with all his updates of course. Just a thought: from what I see is that the "changelog" link is often pretty standard, it doesn't change for some programs. Perhaps adding a checkbox next to "What's new?" to "not erase content" or "make it permalink" or something like that.
Great idea! I will add this into the new code so it will be available after we make the migration.

Checker

#10 Post by Checker »

Great !
I realy missed that feature.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:Great idea! I will add this into the new code so it will be available after we make the migration.
Great stuff, thanks.