Lightweight browser that works with reCAPTCHA?

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
ArthBlat

Lightweight browser that works with reCAPTCHA?

#1 Post by ArthBlat »

I'm the new guy here. Hello everybody!

Several years ago I tried K-Meleon. A lightweight Mozilla browser. I was shocked! It loaded web pages several times
faster than Internet Explorer. I was hoping K-Meleon would continue to develop and improve.

Thousands of sites are now using the latest version of Google's reCAPTCHA. As you can see by the attached image,
K-Meleon will not display a reCAPTCHA box. I posted on the K-Meleon forum. The only suggestion that made any
sense was trying different UA (User Agent) strings. You can find huge UA lists for all browsers. After two or three
dozen UA strings I quit. It didn't work.

Yesterday, I installed the latest version of Light Firefox (48.0). It's another great lightweight browser.

All Light Firefox versions are available here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/files/

Google lists Firefox as a compatible browser for their reCAPTCHA:
https://support.google.com/recaptcha/an ... 3828?hl=en

After installing Light Firefox I immediately visited a site I was trying to use with K-Meleon. Light Firefox also failed
to load the reCAPTCHA box!

I googled "firefox not working with reCAPTCHA." 45,000 results on the list. Obviously, this is a common problem.

I really need a lightweight browser that will work with Google's reCAPTCHA. I'm sure Internet Explorer will display
reCAPTCHA, but I will not use IE!

You guys are the experts about small and portable apps. That's why I joined this forum. It doesn't have to be
portable, but it must show that reCAPTCHA.

Please give me the name of a lightweight browser that will do the job.

Thanks guys.
Attachments
reCAPTCHA.jpg

freakazoid

Re: Lightweight browser that works with reCAPTCHA?

#2 Post by freakazoid »

I've never had any trouble with reCAPTCHA on browsers like K-Meleon. It's possible that you could be blocking javascript or some other Google API calls that reCAPTCHA relies on.

Got a link to the captcha so we can test?
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

ArthBlat: could the new SeaMonkey be a light enough alternative for you? I don't seem to get a lot of trouble with it -- granted, I fire up the Fox when I do... :|

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I unfortunately don't have a solution for this and sadly expect it to continue. Companies generating these tools want to keeping testing time/costs down and they're already spending plenty of time trying to prevent tools that bypass their checks. Still, it would be a shame that the next big browser innovation could fall by the wayside because security or "Turing" checks like this go unsupported.

I don't currently have a solution. Probably the lightest browser available right now is QupZilla, but their development appears to have faltered recently. I'd say the old version of Opera but it been quite a while since they saw a security update. It seems you're really left with either Firefox standard or one of like 12 Chrome knock-offs who's optimizations are at best unclear.

I'd probably go with Firefox ESR as that has some time and testing put into making sure it works okay on older systems. That said, I haven't tested it's memory usage.

btc5

#5 Post by btc5 »

Exact same issue with latest K-Meleon 76 RC2
You can try to submit a form here to reproduce the issue:
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo

bitcoin

#6 Post by bitcoin »

i haven't used Otter Browser for a while but it used to be somewhat lightweight iirc

another option might be Midori

also Vivaldi and Brave are probably lighter than IE if you're just opening a few tabs

__philippe

#7 Post by __philippe »

Tiny secure Forkle (still beta) works for me (tested on TPFC captcha voting system)

Forkle.exe 0.62.0.647 (17-MAY-2019) 1,384KB : Lightweight enough ? :wink:

hypocritus

#8 Post by hypocritus »

For Qupzilla, while I am sure It was just one or two of the changes I made, I was able to get my reCAPTCHA challenge to work by checking the following "Preferences":

Browsing:
v Enable XSS Auditing
v Enable caret browsing
v Enable spatial navigation
v Enable Undo/Redo for editable forms

Extensions (pre-included):
v Flash Cookie Manager
v GreaseMonkey

Other:
Change browser identification to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.116 Safari/537.36

rfithen

#9 Post by rfithen »

Have you tried WaveBrowser from the Windows 10 App Store?