Can NOT Print to PDF

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Stoik

Can NOT Print to PDF

#1 Post by Stoik »

Out of the blue, I cannot print to PDF printers any more.
This wonderful function worked for years, and it is a big loss to me.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION :

The file seems to go the the spooler,
in the printer's "document list" the file is there (says "printing")
but then it disappears and nothing happens (it does not print).

My default PDF printer is PDFCreator,
I also tried other PDF printers, like "7-PDF Printer", and "Free PDF Printer",
none of them works.

The "7-PDF Printer" was the only one than gave me any sort of error message :
"Error 1007: An error occurred while running GhostScript. Unable to open the initial device. Quitting".

Strangely, physical printers, like my HP OfficeJet 4620 printer (attached via USB)
work fine - in other words, printing to paper works OK.

Other programs requiring GhostScript, like Scribus,
also work fine (for them, my GhostScript is OK).

MY SYSTEM :

Aside from the printers listed above,
I have GhostScript 9.10 installed
on Windows 8 (64 bit).

WHAT I TRIED SO FAR :

I tried System Restore, but no luck, so the problem must have happen a while ago;
I did not notice it in time, since I have not used the PDF printer for a while.

I tried installing different versions of GhostScript (from 9.05 to 9.19 GPL),
it made no difference.

I tried tweaking the printer in any way imaginable (all failed) :
create a new local port, allow full permissions to all users,
"take ownership" of all the relevant folders (e.g. Temp folders of PDFCreator and Spooler).

Clearing the printer spooler (with stop and restart)
did not work (which I expected)
since there was no file "stuck" there.

DoPDF 7.3.394 works without GhostScript, and it works (!)
but it prints everything as image only (to PDF with images only),
which is not what I want;
I might just as well use a Screen Shot tool for that.

DoPDF 8.x I was not able to install;
the setup procedure fails on my system, the error message says:
"Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000705). Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver."

MY ANALYSIS :

It seems almost certain that some wild software messed it up.

There are several possibilities (that I can think of) as to where the problem is located :
printer driver for local printers, windows registry, printer port, GhostScript.

Two very important clues might be :
1. paper printers work fine,
2. DoPDF 7.3.394 (which does not need GhostScript) works !

If anyone has any further ideas, I would very much appreciate it.
But, please skip the standard "re-install Windows" (= if in doubt, pull out the nuclear weapon),
I want to find a more specific (targeted) solution.

Midas

Re: Can NOT Print to PDF

#2 Post by Midas »

Providing just a few hints here, I am no expert by any means...

There might be something off in doPDF settings or installation for you to be getting image only PDF files. I have been using it for a long time (currently using v8.3 Build 934 on Windows 7 x64 SP1) and, although it's missing many bells and whistles, it works really good for basic PDF creation via print out. E.g., I never managed to get it to preserve links of HTML content, but PDF file elements always remain selectable (and editable, given the proper editor).

As alternatives, you might want to try DoroPDF, another Ghostscript free PDF printer driver; or use Softmaker Free Office (currently up to version 2016, unlike the version included in TPFC database; see also http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=20457) with its really convenient feature of directly exporting to PDF out of every program of the suite.

Stoik

#3 Post by Stoik »

Thank You, Midas.

Well, right now I am replying to You from a different laptop where PDF printing is working OK.
Even here, DoPDF version 7.x still prints images (e.g. this page, when printed to PDF, does not have selectable text).

DoroPDF got me quite intrigued, especially since I love all stuff from that author !
But on the help page (http://www.the-sz.com/products/doro/help.php) is says quite clearly :
"Please note that the real work is done by ‘GhostScript’. Which will be installed during setup."

Once I am back with my faulty laptop (this evening),
I will try installing Doro PDF and see what happens.
Sometime these setup programs check for requirements & fix them if something is missing.
Will let You know.

Once again, thank You for Your time and effort !

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Stoik wrote:But on the help page (http://www.the-sz.com/products/doro/help.php) is says quite clearly :
"Please note that the real work is done by ‘GhostScript’. Which will be installed during setup."
Duh! I obviously overlooked that. :?

I just don't recall any installation of Ghostscript anywhere on this system. I'll have to search better...

Stoik

#5 Post by Stoik »

. . . . .
UPDATE :

I installed DoroPDF on the faulty computer, and ...
a miracle ! It works !

This did not, however, fix
all the other non-functioning PDF printers.

I already had GhostScript installed,
DoroPDF installed it's own GhostScript (in the DoroPDF folder).

I will next try to analyze the DoroPDF setup as much as I can
to see what the trick is.

I will call this partialy solved :
1. if all PDF printers fail, DoroPDF still works (good news),
2. still no clue why all the other PDF printers are not working (bad news).

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Stoik wrote:DoroPDF installed it's own GhostScript (in the DoroPDF folder).
OK, that explains my oversight then. :roll:

Now, and although I have no clue what's wrong with your system, from the looks of it I'm guessing it's a permissions/non-administrator access kind of thing -- something just got its permissions changed somewhere...

Stoik

#7 Post by Stoik »

Thanks, Midas !

Well, I already changed all the permissions/rights to maximum on :
the printers themselves (via Control Panel), and on all the relevant temp folders (like PDFCreator, Spooler).
I am not sure what else to "permit"...

Besides, this is one thing that still puzzles me about my Windows 8 :
even though I am the administrator (& so it the account that I am using),
I still always run into little remote corners of my computer where I need to
add administrative privileges (like shortcuts in Classic Shell Menu),
or run Take Ownership on some folder,
or change an ".exe" (via Properties) to "Always Run as Administrator".
I thought, that as an administrator, I would never run into "locked doors".

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Stoik wrote:I thought, that as an administrator, I would never run into "locked doors".
Yep, that's one of the things that changed in Windows since 7: even if you have Administrator privileges on you system, you are no longer top dog by a long shot.

One of the things that annoys me the most is how some installers get programs to run in my system without even so much a user prompt, whereas any program I personally download is automatically blocked and generates a prompt every time I run it -- unless I go to its file properties and click the "Unblock" button. And this happens in a system where I am Admin and have UAC disabled. :evil:

Plus, it gets worse: check en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Criticism...

EDIT: a better link is www.fsf.org /campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot.
Last edited by Midas on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

Stoik wrote: Besides, this is one thing that still puzzles me about my Windows 8 :
even though I am the administrator (& so it the account that I am using),
I still always run into little remote corners of my computer where I need to
add administrative privileges (like shortcuts in Classic Shell Menu),
or run Take Ownership on some folder,
or change an ".exe" (via Properties) to "Always Run as Administrator".
I thought, that as an administrator, I would never run into "locked doors".
Have you set UAC to the minimum level? It should mean "automatically elevate everything that asks for that".
Midas wrote: One of the things that annoys me the most is how some installers get programs to run in my system without even so much a user prompt, whereas any program I personally download is automatically blocked and generates a prompt every time I run it -- unless I go to its file properties and click the "Unblock" button. And this happens in a system where I am Admin and have UAC disabled. :evil:
There is a way around that: download files into a FAT32 partition. The "prompt before running files downloaded from the Internet" feature relies on Alternate Data Streams that is only supported by NTFS. The prompt never shows up for files in FAT32 partitions.

I have created a generic "data" partition for miscellaneous files. Installers I download end up there, too. I have formatted that partition as FAT32 because I frequently access it from GNU/Linux as well. The Linux kernel has built-in read-write support for FAT32 but not for NTFS*, so I decided to use FAT32 for best possible compatibility.

As a result, I never see that prompt. Even though I have set UAC to the maximum level.

* NTFS partitions can be written to from GNU/Linux by using a driver called NTFS-3G. The difference is that NTFS read-write support isn't built into the kernel.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:There is a way around that: download files into a FAT32 partition. The "prompt before running files downloaded from the Internet" feature relies on Alternate Data Streams that is only supported by NTFS. The prompt never shows up for files in FAT32 partitions.
Thanks for such a great tip, SYSTEM. I'm unable to use it right away, but will surely keep it in mind for the near future... 8)

Stoik

#11 Post by Stoik »

System wrote :
Have you set UAC to the minimum level? It should mean "automatically elevate everything that asks for that".
Yes, I did that. This reduces the pop-ups and restrictions but does not eliminate them 100 %.
Midas wrote :
Yep, that's one of the things that changed in Windows since 7: even if you have Administrator privileges on you system, you are no longer top dog by a long shot.
Sad, gradually Microsoft is taking more and more power away from You, and giving themselves more power and control.
They do not want You to tweak and customize - "just shut up and do as You are told".

Like the way they took away the Start button in Windows 8 - without a way to customize it (without external applications).
It took a whole revolution, complaints from all over the world, and years for them to compromise just on that tiny detail.
And the average public is now ecstatic about it.

Or the way they took away our ability to customize the File Explorer (former Windows Explorer) background color (why ?).
It will be "glaring" white and You will take it - whether You like it or not !

And they will not compromise on things that matter to them, like the massive data collection in Windows 10.
I am amazed at what a huge percentage of the modern dumbded-down population is both ignorant and indifferent about it.
When I mention it to my friends, they look at me like I am reeeally weird - like, "who cares", I am exaggerating, etc.
This reaction tells me: Microsoft is winning, and we a loosing on this.

Anyways, back to our PDF printers and administrator privileges theme.
Starting with Windows 7, looks like Your "administrator" status still does not give You all the permissions to customize.
I could not figure out any more permissions to manually tweak in regards to the PDF printers.
Looks like we reached a bit of an "impasse" here, unless someone has a new angle on this problem.

Even so, I learned quite a few clever things here from Midas and System.
Thanks !

Stoik

#12 Post by Stoik »

On the topic of "being logged in as administrator - does not open all doors" :

On reflection, I realize now that this a a good security measure.
On malicious websites I could pick up malicious files or similar
that would like to reek havoc to my system,
and act seemingly on my request/behalf (since I am logged in as an administrator),
so having an extra little step or two as verification is not a bad idea.

I have noticed that Windows 8 is much more resilient to malwares
than the previous Windows versions,
so I really should not complain.

xor

#13 Post by xor »

I've been using this portable oldie version of doPDF for quite some time with no issues. Just run and while active you can print from any application, this has saved me from installing any virtual pdf printer. Just today I tested it in Win10 and works fine with say AbiWord.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Thanks for sharing, xor. V7 is really not that old. But how do you close it? :?

xor

#15 Post by xor »

But how do you close it?
I just click the CLOSE button in the doPdf Window, nothing remains in the Systray or in the printers and no processes left whatsoever. BTW Win10 has its own MS PDF PRINTER out of the box. On a related recall from me I tested several pdf printers about 2 years ago trying to find a quality/filesize balance saving vector files as PDFs and "PDF24 Creator" turned out to be a choice for me.