Gunner File Type Editor with PNG, JPEG, and JPG files

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
JohnTravolski

Gunner File Type Editor with PNG, JPEG, and JPG files

#1 Post by JohnTravolski »

Please look at the following picture:

Most of the folders that I work with on a regular basis contain files like this. However, as you can see, I usually sort all of my files by "type" in Windows 10 File Explorer so that it's easier for me to separate my files. However, I prefer it when even different types of files come in a certain order. As you can see, some of file types have already been modified in such a way. I have all of my Adobe Projects grouped together with 1), my audio files grouped with 2), my video files with 4), and so on. However, you may be wondering how I did this.

Well, I used this great program called "Gunners File Type Editor," but it seems VERY outdated. And, unfortunately, it doesn't work for ALL file types. When I try to use the program to edit the "Type" of my PNG files to say "3) PNG Picture", it still always ends up as simply saying "PNG File," as can be seen in the picture above. I have the same issue with both .jpg and .jpeg files. I haven't bothered with XMP files yet, so ignore that. FileTypesMan gives me the same problem.

Anyway, my question is this; is there any easier way to edit the "Type" of file for extensions? Is there a better program for Windows 10 than this? I've tried various registry edits but none of them seem to fix the problem even after I restart File Explorer.​ I just don't know what to do.

shnbwmn

Re: Gunner File Type Editor with PNG, JPEG, and JPG files

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

Types

In my test it didn't require a restart to show up in Explorer. Simply refresh the view.

JohnTravolski

#3 Post by JohnTravolski »

Yeah, but it still won't work for PNG, JPEG, or JPG files. Can you change those file types' descriptions?

shnbwmn

#4 Post by shnbwmn »

Hmm, on closer look that program is a bit finicky. It does work on JPG/JPEG/PNG, however it applies description changes to the whole class instead of just the chosen extension.

JohnTravolski

#5 Post by JohnTravolski »

When I go into File Explorer, though, the description isn't changed; it still says "PNG File" instead of whatever I changed it to using either of the two programs (as you can see in my first picture). Do you know any way whatsoever to get the "type" to change in File Explorer even if it involves some kind of registry edit? I'm willing to do anything to get that text changed, it would help me so incredibly much.

TP109

#6 Post by TP109 »

Have you tried FileTypesMan to change the description? Not sure about Win 10, but it works for me on XP. You need to restart explorer after any change.

3K3

#7 Post by 3K3 »

JohnTravolski wrote:Do you know any way whatsoever to get the "type" to change in File Explorer even if it involves some kind of registry edit?
Open registry editor: Windows key + R > type regedit > Enter
Navigate (for .png file type) to
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png" key.
If key does not exist or the "(Default)" value in the root of the key is empty navigate to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png" key.
Read the "(Default)" value in the root of the key:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png" > "(Default)" or
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png" > "(Default)".
Navigate to
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\whatisin(Default)value" key or
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\whatisin(Default)value" key
Change/create "FriendlyTypeName" value (can be of "String Value" type) to desired type name to display in Explorer.
Restart Explorer.

JohnTravolski

#8 Post by JohnTravolski »

Yes, I have tried FileTypesMan as well to no avail whatsoever. I have restarted Explorer as well as the entire computer, neither if which changed the text.

In the registry editor, the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png" key default value says "pngfile". When I go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile", the default value in the pngfile key DOES NOT MATCH the Windows 10 File Explorer description. The registry editor default value is "PNG Image" while Windows 10 file explorer lists' PNG file types as a "PNG File". In other words, changing the default value for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile" does not change the PNG "type" text in Windows File Explorer.

See the picture below for clarification:

Also, please be aware that there is no .png key under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes".

So I'm still lost. I just don't get it.

billon

#9 Post by billon »

I have same here in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile - PNG Image.
And in Explorer it's - PNG Image.
But I'm on XP
Can't even imagine what with this on 10. Are you sure you reboot? Not hibernate, not "quick start" (or how it's calling on 10?), but properly reboot? Maybe even turn off and turn on?
Maybe there something also in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations ?

TP109

#10 Post by TP109 »

Possibly something is overriding the default registry settings. Did you try searching the registry for any entries containing "PNG File"?

JohnTravolski

#11 Post by JohnTravolski »

Yes, I have completely turned the computer off and on and that does not fix the issue whatsoever. Neither does a proper restart nor restarting Windows Explorer. Here's what I found under SystemFileAssociations:
I actually did do a search in the registry for the text "PNG File", but the registry editor crashed when I did this (I assume because it tried to look through so much.)

3K3

#12 Post by 3K3 »

Rename value "~FriendlyTypeName" to "FriendlyTypeName" and change contents to what you would like to see displayed in Explorer:
"FriendlyTypeName"="YourText"

billon

#13 Post by billon »

Use RegScanner.
Also first try just rename "~FriendlyTypeName" to "FriendlyTypeName" (just remove "~"), don't change it's content

JohnTravolski

#14 Post by JohnTravolski »

I tried both solutions. I removed the "~" and I didn't change the content, restarted Windows Explorer (didn't work) and then restarted the computer (didn't work). I also changed FriendlyTypeName to some different text, restarted Windows Explorer (didn't work) and restarted the computer (didn't work).

Here's what the key looks like right now (after trying everything I just mentioned above):

I downloaded RegScanner and searched the entire Registry Editor for the text "PNG File" and 0 items were found.

I guess I'm just going to have to contact the developers of Windows at this point, even though I'm sure that won't be helpful.

3K3

#15 Post by 3K3 »

In Registry go to
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.png" and delete "UserChoice" key.
Open any png file and select program to open png files. Now the Explorer should pick up name from "FriendlyTypeName" value.