Thunderbird Portable: fix redundant popstate folders

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
webfork

Thunderbird Portable: fix redundant popstate folders

#1 Post by webfork »

I've been using Firefox for years and an issue recently cropped up: all these "popstate" folders showing up. Here's a screenshot of the issue:
They can't be removed inside Thunderbird and, because they just expand, it creates clutter. I left them alone for many months without issue but eventually just got annoyed with it. This topic has been discussed elsewhere in the installer version without clear resolution or understanding of what's causing the problem. At this stage it looks like some antivirus issue.

After a lot of testing, here's what finally worked (some of these steps might not be necessary but I'm unable to test this from every possible angle):

1. Run a backup of your ThunderbirdPortable directory
  2. Disable any antivirus software
  3. Copy ThunderbirdPortable\Other\Source\ThunderbirdPortable.ini to the base directory next to PortableThunderbird.exe (e.g. Z:\Portable\ThunderbirdPortable\Other\Source\ThunderbirdPortable.ini would be copied to Z:\Portable\ThunderbirdPortable\ThunderbirdPortable.ini
  4. Open the ThunderbirdPortable.ini file you just copied over in a text editor and edit the line:

Code: Select all

AdditionalParameters 
    To read:

AdditionalParameters=-safe-mode
  5. Launch ThunderbirdPortable.exe check boxes to disable both all add-ons and reset toolbars
  6. Click "Continue in safe mode"
  7. Inside the subfolder ThunderbirdPortable\Data\profile\Mail look for any files that read "popstate"
  8. Move all the files that start with popstate except for popstate.dat (e.g. popstate-2.dat, popstate-2.dat.msf, etc.)
    • Warning: If you remove popstate.dat, you'll start downloading email from a very long time ago (as duplicates)
  9. Once again, open the ThunderbirdPortable.ini file in a text editor again and change

AdditionalParameters=-safe-mode
    To read:

AdditionalParameters
  10. Launch ThunderbirdPortable.exe
Anyway, that's what worked for me where I couldn't find any solutions elsewhere.

freakazoid

Re: Thunderbird Portable: fix redundant popstate folders

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Is it because you are using POP3?

I only use IMAP accounts personally with no offline caching in Thunderbird.
is it stealth? ;)