RegShot and JauntePE problems under Vista

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
grannyGeek

RegShot and JauntePE problems under Vista

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

I had to make an emergency computer purchase last night, and haven't got totally familiar yet with Vista, but I'm not happy
:(

RegShot won't work at all under Vista, even when I set it to XP Compatability mode.
It seems to scan the registry fine, but then gets stuck when it tries to save the info, and I have to to kill it with task manager.

Since development stopped in 2004, I don't imagine this will get fixed.

JauntePE, and the wrappers it creates, will only run when set to XP Compatability mode.
After doing that, Reg Seeker told me there were 24 registry entries for the game wrapper I set up.

So, it seems that JPE won't be stealthy any more. Once again, Bill has figured out how to make life more complicated. I'm having a revenge fantasy right now --- it involves SuperGlue, belt buckles, and poison ivy :twisted:

I've barely gotten my toes wet in Vista, so are there other options available to fix this?
Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

MISIIM

#2 Post by MISIIM »

I confirmed that regshot doesn't work in vista.

calm_observer

Re: RegShot and JauntePE problems under Vista

#3 Post by calm_observer »

always wait for a service pack or two before jumping into a windows os :wink:

MISIIM

#4 Post by MISIIM »

Vista is very stable. I have all the drivers I need. It makes XP look like a garbage dump. Incompatiblities are only because of sloppy coding. Vista totally rules! 8)

grannyGeek

#5 Post by grannyGeek »

@ calm_observer, I agree with you in principal, and had no intentions of diving into Vista for about another year. Unfortunately, my pc decided to crump out, and I have a mandatory project with a short deadline, so I had to buy what was available off the shelf. Which means Vista only.

I might try to partition the drive, and install XP, and have the best of both worlds.

meanwhile, I am still trying to adjust to the slooooowwwww restart time (which I think will speed up once I get the unwanted startup services culled out) and the new Win Explorer interface (I think I will be going back to A43 for file management) and the UAC (which I disabled so it wouldn't keep asking for TWO confirmations everytime I create a new folder on C drive).
And even though I knew it was coming, not happy that it no longer supports help files in .hlp format --- I have several apps (some published only 18 months ago) that can't display help files any more. I'll have to look for a conversion tool, if there is such an animal.

Whew! sorry about that, I guess I needed a mini-rant!

And in truth, Vista is running almost all my old software, so I guess I will get used to it. 75% of the adjustment is learning new interface / locations to configure things.

MISIIM

#6 Post by MISIIM »

Universal Extractor can extract hlp files. (To html I suppose)

calm_observer

#7 Post by calm_observer »

yah, getting rid of unneeded/unused services helps. there is also a M$ utility that will help 2000/XP speed up the boot process ~ see this for more. you may be able to find some vista tweaks out there, but we both know there will be many more by the time service pack 1 is out :wink: seems there should be a way to use .hlp files. just checked granny ~ here you go

grannyGeek

#8 Post by grannyGeek »

MISIIM, thanks for the tip about Universal Extract. I just tried it out, and it "decompiles" to the original .rtf and project files. If I want to get fancy, I could then use MS help workshop app to re-compile into html help files. Kewl !

calm_observer, thank you so much for the links. They are going to be very useful. I am already having a little graphics driver periodic "failure and recovered" that I have to try to figure out.
Funny thing, google for "Vista Tutorial" didn't get me much for free on-line help, but lots of folks selling courses on-line and on CD. I remember when Win95 came out, you tripped over Getting Started tutorials everywhere, I guess users are supposed to be more knowledgeable and self-starting now.

calm_observer

#9 Post by calm_observer »

grannyGeek wrote:MISIIM, thanks for the tip about Universal Extract. I just tried it out, and it "decompiles" to the original .rtf and project files. If I want to get fancy, I could then use MS help workshop app to re-compile into html help files. Kewl !
granny just download Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows Vista. why make things so difficult?

grannyGeek

#10 Post by grannyGeek »

Ah, you are probably correct. I let the MS Knowledge Base article terrify me. :shock:
Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Warning This article offers information about how to work around issues that are caused by changes in this release of Windows Help. However, Microsoft makes no specific recommendations about which registry keys and which values are right for your organization. Your IT department is the best judge of how to weigh the advantages of these workarounds against the risks of using them. The safer course is to use no registry workarounds at all.
But after more *CALM* consideration ---
my Vista pc is permanently off-line, and I always run anti-virus scans before moving files onto my hard-drive.

I will give it a go, and hopefully won't need to do registry edits anyway. (manual reg-hacks give me the heebie-jeebies. I just know I'll break something.)

calm_observer

#11 Post by calm_observer »

i could have written this...
Yeah, well… I guess I’ll have to wait four more days before I can view a .HLP file that will likely never get updated. I’m thinking this is going to turn into a tech support nightmare for everyone. The decision will ultimately be reversed - and WinHlp32.exe will be pushed out through Windows Update within a year, if it doesn’t first get included within Vista SP1. for more...
but i didn't :cool: seems you should only have to do a file association ~ just double double-click a .hlp file and select WinHlp32.exe to open it with.