Color Calculator

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
shaggystyle

Color Calculator

#1 Post by shaggystyle »

[EDIT by Fluffy] This does not fit TPFC's requirements, but is a very nifty application and is definitely worth a look! A great find from shaggystyle.

From http://www.sessions.edu/career_center/d ... /index.asp
The Sessions Color Calculator is an interactive color wheel that helps designers select HTML, RGB, or CMYK colors and identifies color harmonies and schemes. Our Color Wheel works faster than any other color wheel or html color chart.
Download Link: http://www.download.com/3000-20-1021022 ... tag=button

It's a compiled flash version 6... I don't believe it can hurt anybody, so I'm sure it's portable.

sproaticus

Re: Color Calculator

#2 Post by sproaticus »

shaggystyle wrote:It's a compiled flash version 6... I don't believe it can hurt anybody, so I'm sure it's portable.
While Flash programs are fairly cross-platform, they require a runtime to be installed first, much like .NET and Java programs.

Also, every Flash player I've played with saves its settings to the registry, making them (the players) decidedly UN-portable.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Yup, won't be adding Flash stuff to the database. Sorry about that.

usdcs

#4 Post by usdcs »

shaggystyle wrote:
It's a compiled flash version 6...
That means that it is a stand-alone executable, requiring no installation and even if it did write some settings to the Registry, it is no worse that some other programs here that "are accepted as portable".

What's the difference between a compiled Flash presentation and a presentation compiled in another program?

shaggystyle

#5 Post by shaggystyle »

All that I see is that it's very useful for me, it's the only freeware using a color wheel to help you select a color, I don't need to install anything to use it and I can't see how can affect my computer after using it.

It's an useful portable freeware.

Doesn't matter if you add it or not, I've found it useful. While nobody show my another program that can do this I'll use it on my USB drive.

Darkbee

#6 Post by Darkbee »

shaggystyle wrote: Doesn't matter if you add it or not, I've found it useful. While nobody show my another program that can do this I'll use it on my USB drive.
and there you have it! Nobody said that you couldn't use it just because it's not in the PF database. Use away to your heart's content!

I think this is an issue that has been raised before; the PF database submissions must follow some rules otherwise you open the floodgates to all sorts of submissions, like a Microsoft PowerPoint compiled into an exe (submitting something like that to the database would be craziness!)

As I seem to recall saying to somebody else on this forum, if you want to use it, that is fine. Nobody is going to come round to your house and break your kneecaps for doing so. Just understand that some submissions make it and some don't.

shaggystyle

#7 Post by shaggystyle »

Your are right... as you said... maybe my heart wanted to share this programs with others. :P

I understand the rules.

Fluffy

#8 Post by Fluffy »

Though it does not meet TPFC's requirements, I was very impressed by this little app and figured the least I could do is sticky it in a different area of the forums. Hopefully it will still get due notice here. :)

usdcs

#9 Post by usdcs »

Perhaps I clouded the issue. Rather than "presentation", I should have used the word "application". This is not merely a slideshow, but a calculator, as its name implies. I agree that one should draw the line for compiled slideshows.

But to me, this is a bona fide tool that would have already been included in the database if it were coded in another language. It will also be added to my toolbox, regardless.

Just my $0.02

Regards,
Dan

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

When I made the statement "Yup, won't be adding Flash stuff to the database.", I thought it requires the Flash runtime to be installed (as sproaticus did too). I didn't realize the Flash IDE is powerful enough to compile ActionScript code to stand-alone EXEs. Sorry for my ignorance.

I have checked the app using Dependency Walker and Process Explorer, and to the best of my knowledge, it is indeed a stand-alone EXE with no other dependencies. I think it should be considered as a candidate for addition to the database, since it is really not different from other EXEs except for the language/IDE used.

Fluffy

#11 Post by Fluffy »

Andrew: Yeah, that was my feeling too, since it is a stand-alone by all definitions, and any settings that could be conceivably saved would have no impact on portable usage anyways. It's up to you though. :)

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted Color Calculator to the database. Thanks!

priya

#13 Post by priya »

I have checked the app using Dependency Walker and Process Explorer, and to the best of my knowledge, it is indeed a stand-alone EXE with no other dependencies. I think it should be considered as a candidate for addition to the database, since it is really not different from other EXEs except for the language/IDE used.

Thanks Priya Mobile Solution Navision Mobile

Darkbee

#14 Post by Darkbee »

@Priya

It already has been added to the database, as per Andrew's message.
Andrew Lee wrote:I have posted Color Calculator to the database. Thanks!