LameXP - audio conversion

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
deathcubek

Re: LameXP - audio conversion

#121 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.15 RC-1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lamexp ... e/download
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [*unreleased*]:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Fixed included MediaInfo binary not working on processor without SSE2 support
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-alpha2 (2017-05-05) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-02-22)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.95 (2017-05-04), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.24.0 (2017-03-02), compiled with GCC 6.3.0
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.25 (2017-03-12), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 14.0
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations

deathcubek

#122 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.15 RC-2
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [*unreleased*]:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-beta (2017-05-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.95 (2017-05-04), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.25 (2017-03-12), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 14.0
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations
Last edited by deathcubek on Wed May 31, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deathcubek

#123 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.15 Final
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/re ... elease_415
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [2017-05-31]:
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-beta (2017-05-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)

Midas

#124 Post by Midas »

A request: could you please allow for any variation of the "-Portable" name append to be able to turn LameXP portable -- even "-p", for instance? And thanks for all your great work. 8)

deathcubek

#125 Post by deathcubek »

Midas wrote:A request: could you please allow for any variation of the "-Portable" name append to be able to turn LameXP portable -- even "-p", for instance?
Well, try with this version:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mulder ... e/download

xor

#126 Post by xor »

I'm not sure about wanting to even launch this App, a few years back I hated that rocket animation splash screen taking forever to show the GUI that I needed to make a simple audio conversion, sorry for my LAME sounding words.

Midas

#127 Post by Midas »

deathcubek wrote:
Midas wrote:A request: could you please allow for any variation of the "-Portable" name append to be able to turn LameXP portable -- even "-p", for instance?
Well, try with this version:
  • Haven't tested yet, haven't been really well these past weeks, but warmest thanks anyway. 8)

deathcubek

#128 Post by deathcubek »

xor wrote:I'm not sure about wanting to even launch this App, a few years back I hated that rocket animation splash screen taking forever to show the GUI
If you see the startup screen for longer than a few seconds, something must be wrong with your system. Takes about ~2 seconds for me:
https://vimeo.com/221311555

See also:
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/Manua ... nce-issues

Special

#129 Post by Special »

Special wrote:Looking forward to the final release, I use this thing constantly, keep up the great work.

Question, has the bug been fixed where if the name ends with a "." (period) the period gets removed in the name. I assume this is a bug unless it was some quickfix workaround to a security issue.

An example of this would be;
F.A.M.E..mp3 = F.A.M.E.mp3 so instead of F.A.M.E. it ends up being F.A.M.E
deathcubek wrote:Whether this was a "bug" or a "feature" is up for debate, but latest version preserves file name "accurately", ugly or not:

It still hurts my eyes to see two consecutive dots in a file name, though. There is a reason why in e-mail addresses, domain names, etc. there must not be any consecutive dots, and also no dots at the beginning/end of the string :P

(Yes, it was a bad historical decision to store two unrelated file properties - the file name and the file type - in the same file attribute field. But, once it had been decided that the file's name and the file's type are both stored together in the "file name" field, and that a dot character is used as the separator between the name and the type, it was clear that dots have a special meaning within a file name and should not be used otherwise. This one time Apple actually did the right thing by using type codes instead - although deprecated now)
It seem this bug is back, it was fixed but I'm guessing it came back with the latest release, been noticing a lot of my music is missing the "periods".

Naughty By Nature - O.P.P.
Geto Boys - Do It Like It a G.O.
Jay-Z - The Story of O.J.
Prodigy - H.N.I.C.
Prodigy - Y.N.T.
Twista - Adrenaline Rush The Sage Continues...

I can go on and on, but anyway they are all missing periods.

Midas

#130 Post by Midas »

deathcubek wrote:Well, try with this version:
  • Finally remembered that I had agreed to test this, only to find that this version («LameXP - Audio Encoder Front-End v4.16 Alpha-1 (Build #2004)») had time bombed...

«Note: This demo (pre-release) version of LameXP will expire at 2017-07-11.»

Nonetheless, apparently it's working, as the debug window displays «LameXP is running in "portable" mode -> config in application dir!» and the INI is effectively present there...

deathcubek

#131 Post by deathcubek »

Special wrote:
Special wrote:Looking forward to the final release, I use this thing constantly, keep up the great work.

Question, has the bug been fixed where if the name ends with a "." (period) the period gets removed in the name. I assume this is a bug unless it was some quickfix workaround to a security issue.

An example of this would be;
F.A.M.E..mp3 = F.A.M.E.mp3 so instead of F.A.M.E. it ends up being F.A.M.E
deathcubek wrote:Whether this was a "bug" or a "feature" is up for debate, but latest version preserves file name "accurately", ugly or not:

It still hurts my eyes to see two consecutive dots in a file name, though. There is a reason why in e-mail addresses, domain names, etc. there must not be any consecutive dots, and also no dots at the beginning/end of the string :P

(Yes, it was a bad historical decision to store two unrelated file properties - the file name and the file type - in the same file attribute field. But, once it had been decided that the file's name and the file's type are both stored together in the "file name" field, and that a dot character is used as the separator between the name and the type, it was clear that dots have a special meaning within a file name and should not be used otherwise. This one time Apple actually did the right thing by using type codes instead - although deprecated now)
It seem this bug is back, it was fixed but I'm guessing it came back with the latest release, been noticing a lot of my music is missing the "periods".

Naughty By Nature - O.P.P.
Geto Boys - Do It Like It a G.O.
Jay-Z - The Story of O.J.
Prodigy - H.N.I.C.
Prodigy - Y.N.T.
Twista - Adrenaline Rush The Sage Continues...

I can go on and on, but anyway they are all missing periods.
Not a bug, but merely a "side effect" of more strictly sanitizing the output filenames - so that encoding processes won't fail due to invalid output file names (e.g. after auto-rename from meta-tag).

Looks like we are at the point where it's close to impossible to fix one user's problem without pissing off another user. IMHO it's generally a bad idea to have dots in a filename for other purposes than separating the file extension from the rest :wink:

Also, to express an "ellipsis" (), there exists a corresponding Unicode characters (U+2026) that should be used instead of three "full stop" characters in a row.

Anyhow, here is another try:

Special

#132 Post by Special »

Maybe an option in LameXP to please both camps then? It might not be worth the effort though, I'd consider it a bug personally though even though I understand why having a period next to an ".extension" might be bad to some. But if the input file is called "Do It Like It a G.O." then the output result should be the same 1:1.

deathcubek

#133 Post by deathcubek »

Special wrote:Maybe an option in LameXP to please both camps then? It might not be worth the effort though, I'd consider it a bug personally though even though I understand why having a period next to an ".extension" might be bad to some. But if the input file is called "Do It Like It a G.O." then the output result should be the same 1:1.
Don't think it's a good idea to have an option that breaks (or disables) the file name sanitizer, causing encodes to potentially fail because of invalid output file names.

Instead, I tried tweaking the file name generation code, once again, so that multiple dot characters in front of the file extension can be preserved - even though it hurts my eyes.

Did you try the new build :?:

Special

#134 Post by Special »

I just gave your test build a whirl, throwing just a few of the above songs I mentioned in and they all came out good (in my eyes :P).

deathcubek

#135 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.16 Alpha-4
Changes between v4.15 and v4.16 [*unreleased*]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 with Update-3
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2.1 (2017-07-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.98 (2017-08-08), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Some improvements to output file name generation code