qBittorrent - file sharing client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SYSTEM

Re: qBittorrent

#46 Post by SYSTEM »

stisev wrote:I run a multitude of other PA.c apps that do not have this issue.
Do you use 7-Zip Portable? It also has an option to register itself as the default program for many file types, and PortableApps.com Launcher doesn't do anything to prevent it either.

If you associate a portable application with a file type or protocol, that's your choice (and a perfectly valid choice if you only use portable applications from a local hard drive that's guaranteed to be always connected). The ability to do that is definitely not a portability problem.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

stisev

#47 Post by stisev »

SYSTEM wrote:
stisev wrote:I run a multitude of other PA.c apps that do not have this issue.
Do you use 7-Zip Portable? It also has an option to register itself as the default program for many file types, and PortableApps.com Launcher doesn't do anything to prevent it either.

If you associate a portable application with a file type or protocol, that's your choice (and a perfectly valid choice if you only use portable applications from a local hard drive that's guaranteed to be always connected). The ability to do that is definitely not a portability problem.
There's a difference. You can turn this functionality off and manually associate the app with 7zip to open with the portable wrapper.

You can't do this with magnet links and if you can, qBittorrent doesn't accept it.

And no, I don't use 7zip. I use Peazip for its portability.

Userfriendly

#48 Post by Userfriendly »

I've found some other launchers for qbittorrent out there in the wild that automatically associate torrent/magnet and cleans it up on exit. They're not official or anything so we can't use that.

I'm looking at the github discussions about portable mode and it seems like the developers don't understand or hate the idea of portable torrent software or something. Why can't they just look at other software that does it it perfectly already and learn from that? It looks like they're implementing a native portable option but not in the best way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

webfork

#49 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:I'm looking at the github discussions about portable mode and it seems like the developers don't understand or hate the idea of portable torrent software or something.

I looked through the discussion shnbwmn posted and the one where stisev makes a case for portability.

I wouldn't characterize it as coming from an asshole (stisev's words) or that they hate portability. I think it's non-simple to implement and there's plenty of other issues (github shows over 2,000 submissions) to address.

As to distaste that developers are asking for money, I have a hard time applying that logic. For myself, I want to get paid for work that's outside of my personal interest and free time. I'll certainly take suggestions on my work as moderator, but if you don't like how I'm spending my free time *shrug*. As such, I have no issue with devs asking for money in exchange for project focus a.k.a. feature bounties, especially on open source projects where it's not unheard of for someone to get paid to fork an entire project.

smaragdus

#50 Post by smaragdus »

About asshole
Asshole, like any other body part, is wonderful. One will fully understand how magnificent the asshole is after a prolonged period of constipation. So I disagree that "asshole" can have a negative connotation. Calling a developer an asshole for me is a metaphor that does not work, a jerk would be OK, but an asshole- no- I refuse to accept asshole as a pejorative word.

About sledgehammer999
As far as I know sledgehammer999 (SourceForge profile, GitHub profile) is currently the leading developer of qBittorrent. I agree that his animosity towards portability is exceptional but qBittorrent is his project, he is free to develop it as he wants to and he is not obliged to listen to what users want. I think that sledgehammer999 is a capable developer who has fixed lots of problems (now qBittorrent is far more stable, it doesn't lose its settings on forced termination, it doesn't hang on exiting (once it needed hours to exit). I appreciate his efforts on qBittorrent yet I do not think that asking for donation to implement a coveted feature is a wise idea.

About PortableApps qBittorrent
qBittorrent Portable by PortableApps is portable but I would not recommend using it since if it crashes the settings will be written in AppData.

HairyPorter

#51 Post by HairyPorter »

smaragdus wrote:qBittorrent Portable by PortableApps is portable but I would not recommend using it since if it crashes the settings will be written in AppData.
After a crash, wouldn't relaunching the PAF & then cleanly exiting it remove the previous session's settings from the filesystem &/or registry ?

Cleaning up upon next launch & exit seems to be the standard procedure for other PAF apps if they were to crash. But I don't use qBittorrent ... does qBittorrent PAF behave differently for some reason ?

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:I refuse to accept asshole as a pejorative word.
lol ... well, I'm told that in Chinese, calling someone a Turtle is an insult. I also refuse to accept that as having a negative connotation.

smaragdus

#53 Post by smaragdus »

@HairyPorter
Once I had the PortableApps version of qBittorrent and after a crash I found settings folders in AppData. This was the last time I used the PortableApps version of qBittorrent- I switched immediately to the official version. I am still using qBittorrent because I have hundreds of torrents that I seed and it will be a great pain to transfer all of them to another torrent client.

@webfork
In my mother tongue calling someone a dog is insulting ("You dirty dog!") but when I want to insult I will never call others animal names or body parts because animals very rarely are jerks (once I had a cat which was a jerk but I gave it away) and body parts are never jerks (that is why I never call others "ass", "ass-hole", "cunt", "dick". 'prick", "pussy", "swine", etc). If I want to insult I will call others "obama", "merkel", "pope francis", "clinton", the last is the more universal one because it is applicable to both sexes. About the "ass-hole", it is life-keeper and a life-saver, after visiting the WC I feel reborn, that is why I laud the "ass-hole" loudly- "Blessed be the ass-hole"!

smaragdus

#54 Post by smaragdus »

Some good news:

Issue
Event
Commit
Add support for different configurations. Partially closes #465

It may be useful to have different configurations either for portable
versions or for debugging purposes. To implement this we add two
options, avaliable via command line switches
1. An option to change configuration name ("--configuration"). The name
supplied via this option is appended to
QCoreApplication::applicationName() to form "qBittorrent_<conf_name>"
name for the configuration files.
2. An option to provide a path do directory where all the settings are
stored (kind of profile directory). There is a shortcut "--portable"
which means "use directory 'profile' near the executable location".

In order to implement that we have to perform initialisation of the
profile directories before the SettingStorage and Preferences singletones
are initialised. Thus, options parsing shall be performed without defaults
read from preferences.

billon

qBittorrent - finally portable?

#55 Post by billon »

https://www.qbittorrent.org/news.php
Monday August 7th 2017 - qBittorrent v3.4.0beta_20170807_0320f9d5b5e release

FEATURE: Support for specifying where to save/load config files. Support for portable mode.

olliebean

#56 Post by olliebean »

I can confirm that the "--portable" command line switch is working as expected in v4.0.1 - so no need any more for the PortableApps wrapper. There's no portable download available, though - only the installer - but it can be extracted with UniExtract or 7-Zip.

Userfriendly

#57 Post by Userfriendly »

I encountered this bug with --portable https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7765

I get I/O errors for downloaded files after I quit qbittorrent and restart it. This only happens with files saved in the same drive letter where the qbittorrent profile resides.

Example:
Profile directory is in:
D:\PortableApps\qBittorrent\Profile

Download torrent to D:\Downloads\Linux.iso
I/O error on app restart. Files not found. Need to delete, re-add and force recheck torrent.

Download torrent to E:\Downloads\Linux.iso
No problems on app restart. Can continue seeding.

The root of the bug seems to be the --relative-fastresume command which makes file paths relative to the profile directory. According to the --help info, --portable is just a combination of --profile=<exe dir>/profile and --relative-fastresume. So the workaround for now is to just use --profile=profile to at least keep settings portable.

olliebean

#58 Post by olliebean »

Ah, that explains an issue I was having while testing the app - I thought it was down to me having made a mistake copying the config files across from the PortableApps version, but your explanation makes complete sense. I haven't had the problem since as I moved the app to a different drive, but in any case I don't need --relative-fastresume, as I'm not downloading files into the app folder, so I'll switch to --profile=profile to avoid future problems. Thanks.

webfork

#59 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:According to the --help info, --portable is just a combination of --profile=<exe dir>/profile and --relative-fastresume. [/table]So the workaround for now is to just use --profile=profile to at least keep settings portable.
So is extract process for qbittorrent (when not using the PA version) as follows?

1. Download executable and extract using 7zip
2. Launch qbittorrent.exe --profile=profile

Optionally delete $PLUGINSDIR

Userfriendly

#60 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork wrote:So is extract process for qbittorrent (when not using the PA version) as follows?

1. Download executable and extract using 7zip
2. Launch qbittorrent.exe --profile=profile

Optionally delete $PLUGINSDIR
I guess so. At least until --relative-fastresume bug is fixed then we can use --portable. Maybe? Maybe not? I'm not even sure if relative file paths is necessary unless users run qbittorrent and save files on the same USB drive and plan to seed it later on a different computer.