qBittorrent - file sharing client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: qBittorrent

#31 Post by webfork »

I'm not sure how I missed that. Thanks for asking. I kept right-clicking on the torrent and seeing the download sequentially or download first and last options.

smaragdus

#32 Post by smaragdus »

What one of qBittorrent leading developers (sledgehammer999) said about the wished by many native portable version of qBittorrent:
Let me hear offers in bitcoin. And then I'll start coding at 1st priority.
the original comment

joby_toss

#33 Post by joby_toss »

I salute the honesty!

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

Yet another reason to keep using Transmission-Qt or Halite... :)

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
qBittorrent devs wrote:Let me hear offers in bitcoin. And then I'll start coding at 1st priority.
Yet another reason to keep using Transmission-Qt or Halite... :)
I'm split on this one: part of me is glad that the developer(s) are willing to accept money for taking the project in a different direction than what they feel like working on. On the other hand I can't imagine it's terribly hard to build in native portability. *shrug*

smaragdus

#36 Post by smaragdus »

I no longer believe I will ever see a native portable version of qBittorrent. For me a bigger problem is that the program is not working well- it is prone to data corruption (regular back-ups are a wise idea) and it never exits cleanly on Windows 8 and this is not something new. With only 422 seeding torrents qBittorrent fails to exit- last time I gave it more than 24 hours to exit and after that time the process was still visible in the task manager and it was still using network bandwidth. From my past unfortunate experience I am afraid to terminate the process (it often causes data corruption) and sometimes it is not possible- oftentimes I got the error "Cannot terminate the exiting process" or something like that. In contrast with qBittorrent, uTorrent (version 1.7.7) with 1324 seeding torrents exits almost immediately. In short- I am not happy with any torrent clients but i still like uTorrent (1.7.7) best.

Midas

#37 Post by Midas »

Tried any I mentioned yet, smaragdus? You might be surprised...

smaragdus

#38 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
I have tried the two you have mentioned and most of the BitTorrent clients that run on Windows. I prefer Halite to Transmission-Qt because Halite is natively portable and because Transmission-Qt auto-associates with torrent files and magnet links without asking on every single run which is irritating and unacceptable. More, both Halite and Transmission-Qt do not offer labels which feature is essential to me since I seed hundreds of torrents. And even more, I use some private trackers and I should observe the list of allowed torrent clients. I mostly use uTorrent (an ancient version) which is extremely light for torrent files and unfortunately- qBittorrent for magnet links. But lately I have been experimenting with Tixati (which supports labels/categories) and I am very pleased with it- I like Tixati much better than qBittorrent but what prevents me to dump qBittorrent completely is moving seeding torrents which is a mammoth task.

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

I see, whatever works for you. Me, I didn't get very far with Tixati when I tested it... 8)

smaragdus

#40 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
I think I first started to use qBittorrent about 5 years ago (at version 2.7.3) and back then I thought this torrent client would become my favourite one- it showed much promise. But with time I realized my expectations would not come to fruition- its GUI is still as unattractive (for me) as it was when I discovered the program, it still has stability issues (I have read that it drops torrents after a number of seeding torrents is reached), it doesn't exit cleanly (on Windows), still no portable version. I find the main developer of qBittorrent (sledgehammer999) to be arrogant and that's why I do not want to report any bugs and problems. I am still doing initial tests with Tixati and it is early to draw any conclusions, but for me it looks better and offer more customization options. So I suppose that when I have time I will try to move all these torrents I seed from qBittorrent to Tixati. In short- I prefer a closed-source product that works fine than an open-source one that constantly fails and that hasn't improved significantly for 5 years. It is a mystery for me why qBittorrent is rated so high by the file-sharing community.

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

Thanks to both for you valued input. Previous debate on (de)merits of Torrent clients: viewtopic.php?t=21508 :mrgreen:

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about Ares were given their own thread.]

stisev

#43 Post by stisev »

For the love of all that's holy at Portable Freeware, REMOVE this app. It is NOT portable. When it associates with magnet files it spreads its crap all over the computer. Legions of users have begged the author to institute true portable mode, but he's demanding money.

It's ironic. Portable & freeware... two of which are features not inherent to this problem.

I along with many other users have reverted to uTorrent 2.2.1 until this dev stops being such an ass to its loyal base.

joby_toss

#44 Post by joby_toss »

Our database entry refers to the portable package provided by PA.c. You do not associate it with anything if portability is the main purpose (you might wanna try apps like Coffee, though). You say "The author is about the biggest asshole I have ever met in the development world." No need for that, there are other apps for this purpose (I see you're using another one right now).

stisev

#45 Post by stisev »

joby_toss wrote:Our database entry refers to the portable package provided by PA.c. You do not associate it with anything if portability is the main purpose (you might wanna try apps like Coffee, though). You say "The author is about the biggest asshole I have ever met in the development world." No need for that, there are other apps for this purpose (I see you're using another one right now).
I disagree with this. My assessment may have been harsh, but it was justified. Go read his issues site and see how he treats his userbase.

The whole premise of the site is PORTABLE freeware.

The app and its settings seek magnet associations. When it grabs it, it PREVENTS the app from being portable. I run a multitude of other PA.c apps that do not have this issue. I guess my frustration comes from the fact that I expect apps here to be vetted thoroughly.
When I find an app has spread files through my roaming, app data, and registry, I would expect it not to be classified as portable as it is not.

A lot of users tried desperately going through official channels only to be rejected by the author after demanding money for this feature.

I've been coming to this site since its beginning. I'm sorry to say this, but you're wrong on this one and it should be escalated if possible. This app is not portable and should not be listed here. Just because there are alternatives does not justify its entry here.