A good example of what NOT to post.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
nmh300

A good example of what NOT to post.

#1 Post by nmh300 »

Portable Microsoft Windows Media Center version 1.0 ( 20 MB compress file) (created by Minh Huy-A new member)-(A program from Microsoft) will see for yourself how Media Center will change how you view pictures, watch TV, listen to music or watch your favorite DVD. (Requires Windows Media Player). You can download it from: http://www.zshare.net/download/windows- ... 0-rar.html

Erind

#2 Post by Erind »

Do you agree to the license?
Click Accept to agree or Click cancel to exit this portable.
Windows Media Center Portable version 1.0 (A program from Microsoft) will See for yourself how Media Center will change how you view pictures, watch TV, listen to music or watch your favorite DVD. (Requires Windows Media Player). It is developed by Minh Huy.If you want develop it, you must write my name ( Minh Huy) and this program from Microsoft.
(Requires Windows Media Player)
This program requires Windows Media Player to be installed and comes in an installer that by default installs to the program files directory. While the second one does not seem to be important, the first throws a red flag to me.

Erind

#3 Post by Erind »

The installation also adds a program group to the start menu without opting the installer to not do so (as far as I could tell). I haven't done a regshot yet, but the rest of these factors aren't looking good.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Is this even legal? Given that it's a program originally from Microsoft, I doubt it is open source or freeware.

The fact that it requires Windows Media Player is also a no-no for me.

[edit]I deleted the other post, which seemed to contain exactly the same original message as this one[/edit]

nmh300

Mircrosoft Media Center 1.0

#5 Post by nmh300 »

Mircrosoft Media Center 1.0 ( From Microsoft) is very small ( 20 MB ). You can download it from:
http://www.zshare.net/download/windows- ... 0-rar.html

Erind

#6 Post by Erind »

No, that's the link for YOUR version, not Microsoft's.

Fluffy

#7 Post by Fluffy »

Excuse me, very small? MPUI is only a few MB's and can undoubtedly play far more file types than MS's bloated pile of dung. For that download size I'd rather download a new version of KMPlayer, which is also a complete package and far superior to MPUI in many ways.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

Looks very fishy to me eg. making Microsoft Office portable doesn't make it freeware! I am not going to touch it with a ten foot pole.... :D

Fluffy

#9 Post by Fluffy »

Andrew Lee wrote:Looks very fishy to me eg. making Microsoft Office portable doesn't make it freeware! I am not going to touch it with a ten foot pole.... :D
My thoughts exactly. Plus, with superior alternatives, why bother with this? :)

bugmenot

useless

#10 Post by bugmenot »

I tried it, and it came with an error saying that it only works on Windows Media Center Edition. :cry: And guess what comes with Windows Media Center Edition? Windows Media Center!

Fluffy

#11 Post by Fluffy »

Now that's just funny. I'm stickying this as a general guideline for what NOT to post.