New portable developer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
griffithsdj

New portable developer

#1 Post by griffithsdj »

check out my software at [link removed]

[Moderator note: the link above -- software.otbsupport.com -- turned into one of those generic sites that happen when you lose ownership of your domain. if someone knows where the main site has moved to, please post below.]

JohnW

Query on Registry settings file

#2 Post by JohnW »

Thank you.
I did indeed check out your site.
I downloaded WinLAME & XN Resource Editor.
I noticed that both had a 'settings.reg' file for Registry entries.
I tried deleting it when running the Resource Editor but the Registry file returned.
However, there were in fact no signs of any entries in the Registry (HKCU\Software\Woozle etc) after use.
Could you please explain what's going on. As you state, these are portable applications; what is the reason for the settings file?

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

The program probably patches that information into the registry, saves it on application termination, and uses to .reg file to store it all. This is one way to "portably" use the registry.

cmmehl

#4 Post by cmmehl »

Hi griffithsdj,

I like your site, but obviously it is still very new and has maybe minor bugs ;)

Trying to register for a forum account, I didn't get an email with the PW ... maybe the reason why there are no users yet in the forums?

Some typos as well:
MonexPE is based on DVDStyler

Speaking on MonexPE, this looks very nice, I will evaluate it further.

Continue the good work!
Chris

griffithsdj

Thanks...

#5 Post by griffithsdj »

cmmehl wrote:I like your site, but obviously it is still very new and has maybe minor bugs ;)
Thank you, and we're still ironing out a few things...
cmmehl wrote:Trying to register for a forum account, I didn't get an email with the PW ...
Created a test user and received the confirmation email within two minutes. Check your junk mail to ensure it didn't accidentally end up there... I also reset your password and emailed you the new temp password.
cmmehl wrote:maybe the reason why there are no users yet in the forums?
Actually you're not the first user on the forums. One person beat you. Close though ;)
cmmehl wrote:Some typos as well:
MonexPE is based on DVDStyler
Don't know how I missed that one, but it's been fixed.
cmmehl wrote:Speaking on MonexPE, this looks very nice, I will evaluate it further.
Thank you, please do, and let me know what you think.
cmmehl wrote:Continue the good work!
Will do!

cmmehl

Re: Thanks...

#6 Post by cmmehl »

griffithsdj wrote:[ Check your junk mail to ensure it didn't accidentally end up there... I
Sadly enough, this was exactly the case. Stupid me not to look there, first.

Hope you will get many more users, cheers!

Chris