Ahnenblatt

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Message
Author
User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#16 Post by I am Baas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 pm

3D1T0R wrote:Not only is Ahnenblatt's "PortableApps Version" not 'authorized' by PortableApps.com
Does one need PA's approval to package files in this format?

3D1T0R wrote:While we're analyzing this stuff
Care to explain the "we're"? Dissociative Identity Disorder?
Bəəs 2.0

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#17 Post by 3D1T0R » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:20 am

I am Baas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:Not only is Ahnenblatt's "PortableApps Version" not 'authorized' by PortableApps.com
Does one need PA's approval to package files in this format?
Not as far as I'm aware. I said it that way because I was quoting you, but as it's not a term I would normally have used I put it in single-quotes.

On the other hand, I do believe there are restrictions on using PortableApps.com trademarks and/or 'trade dress' (I think that's the correct term), namely (IIRC) that you have to conform to the PortableApps.com Format. I'm not too certain about all the legal stuff though, so if you're considering using it, check for yourself if it's OK.
I am Baas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:While we're analyzing this stuff
Care to explain the "we're"? Dissociative Identity Disorder?
Me and anyone/everyone who reads my analysis and cares enough to form an opinion.
~ 3D1T0R

User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#18 Post by I am Baas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:18 am

3D1T0R wrote:I said it that way because I was quoting you
Oh, TPFC now attracting dishonest people, I never made such statement as you claim.
Bəəs 2.0

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#19 Post by 3D1T0R » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:45 am

I am Baas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:I said it that way because I was quoting you
Oh, TPFC now attracting dishonest people, I never made such statement as you claim.
I am in no way being dishonest.
If you click the link in my post (which is also in your quote of my post) you'll see that you did say the following:
I am Baas wrote:Not sure Ahnenblatt's PAF version is authorized by PortableApps.com.
Admittedly it was a long time ago, but I'm not being dishonest.

Please understand that I'm only here because I like to help.
If your tone is typical of how veteran forum-goers on TPFC treat newcomers, perhaps I'll just stick with PortableApps.com where most of the regulars are generally polite.
~ 3D1T0R

User avatar
joby_toss
Posts: 2902
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: Ahnenblatt

#20 Post by joby_toss » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 am

3D1T0R wrote:If your tone is typical of how veteran forum-goers on TPFC treat newcomers...
I've, for one, never said anything disrespectful to you... so don't say that...

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Ahnenblatt

#21 Post by SYSTEM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:45 am

3D1T0R wrote: If your tone is typical of how veteran forum-goers on TPFC treat newcomers, perhaps I'll just stick with PortableApps.com where most of the regulars are generally polite.
No, his tone isn't typical. In general, Baas is the harshest member towards newcomers in TPFC.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#22 Post by 3D1T0R » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:54 pm

joby_toss wrote:I've, for one, never said anything disrespectful to you... so don't say that...
SYSTEM wrote:No, his tone isn't typical. In general, Baas is the harshest member towards newcomers in TPFC.
Thanks.

I understand that I might not be going about things exactly as TPFC members expect, but I hope you guys will try to be understanding and help me get used to how I should do things here.
~ 3D1T0R

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5522
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: Ahnenblatt

#23 Post by Midas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm

3D1T0R wrote:... I hope you guys will try to be understanding and help me get used to how I should do things here.
  • You've been doing a great job by my book, keep at it. Just don't get ahead of yourself promoting PAF stuff, please -- we already have JohnTHaller for that... :mrgreen:

User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#24 Post by I am Baas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:32 pm

3D1T0R wrote:I am in no way being dishonest
What I said and what you "quoted" are inherently different. "Not sure" vs. your bold claim that it is not authorized. You are a manipulative cheat.
3D1T0R wrote:perhaps I'll just stick with PortableApps.com where most of the regulars are generally polite.
Added to my to do list:

☑ Not give a fuck
Bəəs 2.0

User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#25 Post by I am Baas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Midas wrote:Just don't get ahead of yourself promoting PAF stuff, please -- we already have JohnTHaller for that... :mrgreen:
Bingo.
Bəəs 2.0

User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#26 Post by I am Baas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 pm

3D1T0R wrote:Please understand that I'm only here because I like to help.
Great but that does not make you special here.
Bəəs 2.0

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Ahnenblatt

#27 Post by SYSTEM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:19 am

I am Baas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:I am in no way being dishonest
What I said and what you "quoted" are inherently different. "Not sure" vs. your bold claim that it is not authorized.
As "bold" as the claim "Ahnenblatt PortableApps Version is not authorized by PortableApps.com" is, it's the truth. In addition, it was an answer to a question you implied.

(Not that they would need authorization, though.)
I am Baas wrote: You are a manipulative cheat.
No, he's not.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#28 Post by 3D1T0R » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Midas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:... I hope you guys will try to be understanding and help me get used to how I should do things here.
  • You've been doing a great job by my book, keep at it.
Thanks, I don't know how active I'll be here, I am admittedly more of a PortablApps guy, but I do intend to try to help out here a bit, if I can do so without getting too much backlash because what I did or said wasn't perfect.
~ 3D1T0R

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#29 Post by 3D1T0R » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:29 pm

I am Baas wrote:What I said and what you "quoted" are inherently different. "Not sure" vs. your bold claim that it is not authorized.
I was simply verifying (because I checked) that your hypothesis about it perhaps not being 'authorized' (your word, not mine) was accurate: Ahnenblatt (currently) has no affiliation with PortableApps.com. (This does not inherently mean that Ahnenblatt is not portable [I didn't check], not in PAF format [though it isn't], or that it's breaking any rules [despite the fact that it is]. Nor does it mean that they can't possibly have dealings with PA.c in the future [PA.c likes to help people who are trying to make their apps portable, and use the PA.c Format].) I then went on to explain in detail what I meant.
3D1T0R wrote:... it's not in PortableApps.com Format. In fact, the only difference between it and the "Zip Version" is that the main exe is not signed in the "PortableApps Version", and that there are a couple of empty folders in the "Zip Version" not present in the "PortableApps Version".
Note: I didn't say that there was anything wrong with what it is, simply that it's not what it seems to be claiming to be: a version of Ahnenblatt that follows the PortableApps.com Format.

However, Ahnenblatt's "PortableApps Version" does use a very official looking PortableApps.com Installer, including the PortableApps.com Trademarked name, 'tagline' (there's probably a better word for this, but I can't think of it right now) & logo, which means that if they're not following the stipulations PortableApps.com has placed on 3rd party use of those trademarks (which they're not), they're using them illegally. Thus I pointed this out, but I'm not saying "TAKE IT DOWN, IT'S ILLEGAL!", I'm just stating the facts, so that someone else can think about what (if any) action should be taken about it. I didn't even state the potential legal issues surrounding the package, because I didn't want to sway anyone's decision, I just wanted the facts of the matter to be available.

Edit: Fixed typo.
Last edited by 3D1T0R on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ 3D1T0R

3D1T0R
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Ahnenblatt

#30 Post by 3D1T0R » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:29 pm

I am Baas wrote:
3D1T0R wrote:Please understand that I'm only here because I like to help.
Great but that does not make you special here.
I never said I wanted any kind of 'special' treatment because my intentions are good. I'm just telling you what my intentions are, in case you were being a jerk to me because you thought I was trying to change TPFC and needed to be driven off.
Midas wrote:Just don't get ahead of yourself promoting PAF stuff, please -- we already have JohnTHaller for that... :mrgreen:
I am Baas wrote:Bingo.
I understand that, and while you may have thought I was 'getting ahead of myself promoting PAF stuff' on another thread, what I said here has nothing to do with "promoting PAF stuff", I'm simply trying to point out some facts about a package that I was unfamiliar with, did some research on, and thought my findings were something that should be made available to the people here.

I recognize that TPFC doesn't have a preference toward PortableApps.com Format apps, and I have no intention of trying to change that.
~ 3D1T0R

Post Reply