jPDF Tweak [Java-based PDF utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
carbonize

jPDF Tweak [Java-based PDF utility]

#1 Post by carbonize »

Found this one via Freeware Genius. http://jpdftweak.sourceforge.net/ I don't want to add it yet as I've not had chance to test if it's truly portable or not.
jPDF Tweak is a Java Swing application that can combine, split, rotate, reorder, watermark, encrypt, sign, and otherwise tweak PDF files.

You can use it to make printable booklets from your PDFs, to add PDF bookmarks, effects (page transitions), to combine multiple PDF files, to watermark them, to rotate pages that do not fit, to attach files to your PDF, to encrypt and sign your PDFs, to change metadata (like author or keywords), and much more.

webfork

Re: jPDF Tweak

#2 Post by webfork »

Tested: Portable, not stealth: create an empty folder in AppData. Tested with

Requirements:
If you use the crypto stuff, the program will use some Microsoft crypto libraries (which makes some changes in AppData).

Cornflower

Using jPDFTweak for Pocketmod

#3 Post by Cornflower »

Many years ago, I reached the limits of the Pocketmod and re:Pocketmod apps. I do crib notes, specialized calendars, anything to have at hand. There is, however, a process using jPDFtweak that for me is easy. I know jPDFtweak is over a decade since its last update, but it is really a powerful PDF tool, which I've used for bookmarks, attachments, watermarks, but most especially for Pocketmods.

A pocketmod is a way of folding a single sheet of paper, such that, with a single scissors-cut, you form an 8-page booklet, either to scribble notes on, or to print something out that you want to have handy, such as a calendar. https://www.pocketmod.com is where you can find out more about it, or simple google, "pocketmod" to find examples.

There is, however, an easier way to make a pocketmod, and that is where the horribly-looking but useful jPDFtweak comes in. Here is how I do it. The instructions may seem long, but it is longer to describe the 3 pass process than it is to do it. I usually spend no more than a minute and a half to do all 3 passes.

Make an 8 page (or multiple of 8 pages) PDF file. I use LibreOffice's Export to PDF for most things. Note: use a 20pt or larger font so you can see the result [/list]
Open jPDFtweak, and on the Input tab, Select the pdf file to transform into a pocketmod.

Pass 1: Convert to A4 paper size (skip if you use A4 paper size in your printer).
Open the Page Size tab and tick Scale Pages. Leave it at A4 Portrait
Open the Output tab, and put in a temporary file name.PDF, click Run

Pass 2: Create the pocketmod using Shuffle/N-up
This takes the 8 pages and lays them out on a single A4 sheet
Input tab, clear the filename and select the temporary file name from Pass 1 (if you converted form another page size, otherwise leave as is.
Page Size tab, untick the Scale Pages box
Shuffle/N-up tab, tick the Shuffle Pages box, and choose from the Preset dropdown, either Pocketmod, or Pocketmod UpsideDown
Output tab, give a new temporary PDF filename and click Run

Pass 3: Resize it back to Letter paper size
Input tab, clear the filename and select the temporary file name from Pass 2.
Page Size tab, tick the Scale pages box, and choose Letter Portrait.
Shuffle/N-up tab, untick Shuffle pages
Output tab, give the final pocketmod PDF name and click run.

You end up with a single sheet PDF that can be folded in the pocketmod way to make a small 2 1/4" x 4 1/4", 8 page booklet. Remember when printing, do not fit to page or any other alterations.

Note that there is always some extra whitespace at the bottom of each page, because of the A4 transformations, so either ignore the margins when creating the original 8-page, or use PDF Arranger [viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25393&hilit=pdf+arranger]