MatnPardaz - free word (and phrase) frequency counter

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
mohammadk

MatnPardaz - free word (and phrase) frequency counter

#1 Post by mohammadk »

MatnPardaz : Free Word Frequency Counter.
programming language : delphi 2010
with removelist and ignore list.
(thread base,easy to use,how many times a word appears in a text document)

here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/matnpardaz

mohammaddesign : mohammadkad ( MK Design )
http://mohammaddesign.wordpress.com

webfork

Re: Free Word Frequency Counter

#2 Post by webfork »

This might sound to some visitors like a meaningless program but I can think of several uses:
  • Editing your own documents to make sure you don't use a word too often
  • For literary purposes such as where you can count how many times Anthony says "honorable man" in Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar. Here, the overuse suggests he doesn't mean it.
  • In political speech, you can see the overuse of a word or concept as a way to guess about what the speaker is most focused on. This is a concept in communications studies called cluster analysis.
However, this can be done in Notepad++ simply by doing a "find", typing in a word, and selecting "count".

Feature suggestions to bring this ahead of Notepad++:
  • Automatically calculate the most frequent words (excluding pronouns) and then allow the user to filter
  • Should also include phrases or a list of words grouped together, not just words.

tugi1123

Re: Free Word Frequency Counter

#3 Post by tugi1123 »

I'm frustrated search for a software with these features especially with ignored word list feature and all i found wasn't free. Luckily i found yours. Thank you very much.

webfork

Re: Free Word (and phrase) Frequency Counter

#4 Post by webfork »

I wish I had looked at this program more closely when it was first posted. A few notes:
  • Split Number = the number of words in a sequence from 1 for individual words or 20 word sets. For example, set to 10 it found groups of words that come up frequently such as "of this software is governed by the terms of the" in the screenshot
  • Length = minimum that at least one of the words must have e.g. if Split number is set to 1 and Length to 4, you won't see any mention of 1, 2, or 3 character words like a, if, or the.
  • Result minimum times that the word or phrase appears in the document
  • The Ignore list means words that don't apply to the length minimum (they don't get analyzed but may still appear in results), while the Remove list will block any results with these words

The output can be exported to a text file that's very easy to subsequently import into a spreadsheet program like Calc using the underscore and hyphen delimiters (-_). I say Calc rather than Excel just because it handles imports a lot better via a blank where you can type in whatever delimiter characters you want.

Sites:

Here's the (sort of) home page:
https://mohammaddesign.wordpress.com/20 ... 87-%d9%86/

Here's the translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

Status: Portable. Writes no settings apart from the Ignore/Remove list, which are saved to the local folder. Tested in Win7x86.

webfork

Re: Free Word (and phrase) Frequency Counter

#5 Post by webfork »

No updates to this one, just wanted to add this is among my favorite programs I've come across in the past few years. Catches duplicate words and phrases in even very long files, works fast, easy to use and reliable. Great program.