Process Hacker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Process Hacker

#31 Post by webfork »

I just rewrote the description a little bit so that the stealth information is all in one area (under the "stealth" area. I think this is a bit more clear, but it also might not be accurate. Please someone look over this and make sure I didn't mess it up in the quest to organize.

SYSTEM

#32 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:I just rewrote the description a little bit so that the stealth information is all in one area (under the "stealth" area. I think this is a bit more clear, but it also might not be accurate. Please someone look over this and make sure I didn't mess it up in the quest to organize.
The text is still technically accurate. :) Because the BAT launcher is an alternative way to make Process Hacker portable, I moved the paragraph about it back into the "How to extract" field.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

xor

#33 Post by xor »

The BAT launcher link is broken.

SYSTEM

#34 Post by SYSTEM »

xor wrote:The BAT launcher link is broken.
Thanks, I removed the link.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: Process Hacker (www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1934) last stable release is v2.39 (r124?) dated 2016-03-29 (changelog back to v2.36 at github.com/processhacker/processhacker/releases).

I wasn't aware that Process Hacker also has v3 nightly builds that are still and constantly being updated.

The latest nightly release is currently v3.0.3866, dated 2021-03-01 (build history is at ci.appveyor.com/project/processhacker/processhacker/history; full changelog at Softpedia all the way back to v2.21, released 2012-07-24: www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Process-Hacker-Portable-Changelog-219082.html.)

Process Hacker CLI parameters overview:
wj32.org/processhacker/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75

Grant TrustedInstaller privileges plugin (only for v2.x):
wj32.org/processhacker/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2407

Process Hacker [is] A free, powerful, multi-purpose tool that helps you monitor system resources, debug software and detect malware.

Latest Process Hacker nightly downloads are at https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/nightly.php.

Andrew Lee

#36 Post by Andrew Lee »

Interesting. Process Hacker is one of my favorite go-to util. I will download the latest nighty and give it a spin.

Midas

#37 Post by Midas »

I had to use resort to it, after my customary Sysinternals Process Explorer refused to terminate a wayward process because it was running with System privileges -- which apparently trump my Admin status on Windows 10.

I'm now considering switching to it definitively. Do you happen to know an easy way to launch it as Admin by default?

Special

#38 Post by Special »

Options > General > Enable start as admin (experimental)

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Special wrote: Options > General > Enable start as admin (experimental)

Thanks, Special. Wasn't aware of that, as I'm still running the stable v2...

Are you using PH as a daily runner? If so, have you linked a 'dbghelp.dll' and PEviewer?

Strike that, after testing the latest PH v3 release, I noticed that 'peview.exe' is already included and it comes pre-configured to download symbols...

Code: Select all

SRV*C:\Symbols*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Now, won't that "C:\Symbols" path collide with portability?

webfork

#40 Post by webfork »

Update notice (sort of):

I got a notice about an update but in fact it's another nightly release (as discussed above). Version 2.39 remains the recommended download. That's a long delay between releases, but maybe that's their preferred development method?

https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/downloads.php

SYSTEM

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm Update notice (sort of):

I got a notice about an update but in fact it's another nightly release (as discussed above). Version 2.39 remains the recommended download. That's a long delay between releases, but maybe that's their preferred development method?

https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/downloads.php
2.39 is ancient at this point. Nightlies have been the better option for years now.

I guess Process Hacker developers just aren't interested to commit to an official release.

Andrew Lee

#42 Post by Andrew Lee »

SYSTEM wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 pm 2.39 is ancient at this point. Nightlies have been the better option for years now.

I guess Process Hacker developers just aren't interested to commit to an official release.
Totally agree. I have been using the nightlies for many years now, and they do work really well.

JohnTHaller

#43 Post by JohnTHaller »

Been debating switching the PA.c package of it to nightly, but it'll sometimes be updated 3 times in a day.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#44 Post by Midas »

Considering that update rate, why not keep it back for a reasonable time interval -- say a week or a month, even? Unless there are critical fixes, OFC.

JohnTHaller

#45 Post by JohnTHaller »

It's not that often but it did happen recently. They do test builds for failed builds. It would be a lot of monitoring to ensure we get good builds and update as necessary is the issue.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality