Process Hacker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
computerfreaker

Process Hacker

#1 Post by computerfreaker »

Program: Process Hacker
Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/process ... sshacker2/
Description: Process Hacker is a feature-packed tool for manipulating processes and services on your computer.
Stealth: yes, as long as it's run as follows: Process Hacker.exe -settings "settingsfile" (where "settingsfile" is the path to the settings file)

Added to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1934
Vote Now!

-.-

Re: Process Hacker

#2 Post by -.- »

does it still rely on .net?

anyways I like it, but i went back to process explorer because i removed .net for a while

computerfreaker

#3 Post by computerfreaker »

-.- wrote:does it still rely on .net?
Not since version 2.0.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

This is real cool! Everything I need for process/service management under one roof. Thanks!

I am going to run it in place of Process Explorer for awhile...

infimum

#5 Post by infimum »

ProcessHacker2 is written into CurrentControlSet in the registry.

computerfreaker

#6 Post by computerfreaker »

Andrew Lee wrote:This is real cool! Everything I need for process/service management under one roof. Thanks!

I am going to run it in place of Process Explorer for awhile...
I'm doing the same thing, actually, since Process Hacker is a lot lighter than Process Explorer (and Process Hacker doesn't write to the Registry, unlike Process Explorer). PH's FOSS license is a big bonus, too.
PE has a lot more power than PH, though, so I'll probably go back at some point.
infimum wrote:ProcessHacker2 is written into CurrentControlSet in the registry.
I've got a couple of questions, if you don't mind.
#1: Are you sure? I'm not seeing anything like that on my system (XP Home SP3)
#2: What OS are you using?
#3: Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS?
#4: Did you select the "Enable Kernel-Mode Driver" option in Process Hacker? (I believe it's selected by default, fyi)
#5: Can you give me the exact location of the Registry key(s) you're talking about?

Thanks!

infimum

#7 Post by infimum »

computerfreaker wrote: #1: Are you sure? I'm not seeing anything like that on my system (XP Home SP3)
#4: Did you select the "Enable Kernel-Mode Driver" option in Process Hacker? (I believe it's selected by default, fyi)
#5: Can you give me the exact location of the Registry key(s) you're talking about?
23. Win7 32bit.
4. It's on by default.
5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services

computerfreaker

#8 Post by computerfreaker »

infimum wrote:
computerfreaker wrote: #1: Are you sure? I'm not seeing anything like that on my system (XP Home SP3)
23. Win7 32bit.
4. It's on by default.
5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
Hmm. I know Process Hacker has some trouble with 64-bit systems, but I haven't seen anything related to Win7. I'm also not seeing the Registry keys you're talking about, so it's possible this is a Win7 thing.
Do the Registry keys go away if you uncheck the "Enable Kernel-Mode Driver" option?

infimum

#9 Post by infimum »

Also, there are leftovers in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_KPROCESSHACKER

I don't think those go away unless you change the access rights and manually delete the entries. You know, it comes with the driver kprocesshacker.sys. I think I am done with messing with this program :wink:

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

yup, infimum is correct. I had a similar issue with Hijack Hunter... see viewtopic.php?p=25730#p25730

computerfreaker

#11 Post by computerfreaker »

infimum wrote:Also, there are leftovers in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_KPROCESSHACKER
I can confirm that. Deleting KProcessHacker.sys should take care of that problem, as well as the other one you mentioned.
infimum wrote: I don't think those go away unless you change the access rights and manually delete the entries. You know, it comes with the driver kprocesshacker.sys.
Delete the driver; that will probably disable some of the more advanced features, but it may be worth the portability gain.
infimum wrote:I think I am done with messing with this program :wink:
I guess I can understand that. I'll be sticking with it, though.
Last edited by computerfreaker on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infimum

#12 Post by infimum »

computerfreaker wrote: I guess I can understand that. I'll be sticking with it, though.
Please modify the database entry so that people can avoid the registry trouble that I went through.

computerfreaker

#13 Post by computerfreaker »

infimum wrote:Please modify the database entry so that people can avoid the registry trouble that I went through.
:oops:
Done, thanks. Do you think that's acceptable?

infimum

#14 Post by infimum »

Acceptable as portable? Admin likes it and there are lot in the database that are not so "stealth."

computerfreaker

#15 Post by computerfreaker »

infimum wrote:Acceptable as portable? Admin likes it and there are lot in the database that are not so "stealth."
I was actually referring to the database entry - is it acceptable in terms of telling users how to keep things as portable as possible - but asking about the acceptability of Process Hacker is probably a good idea, too.
Personally, I agree with you - there are a lot of other apps in the database that are nearly portable but leave something in the Registry, so Process Hacker should be OK. Still, I know there are a lot of purists (myself usually included) who won't use a non-stealth app if an equivalent stealth one is available.