Bestcrypt Traveller

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lbaty

BestCrypt Traveller - FREEWARE

#1 Post by lbaty »

Application: BestCrypt Traveller
Version: 1.02.7
License: Freeware
Download: http://www.jetico.com/BCTraveller.exe
Languages: Arabic, English, Chinese Simplified, Farsi, German, Italian, Russian
Description:
BestCrypt Traveller starts working without installation of the software. The user runs a single executable file (BCTraveller.exe), standard BestCrypt icon appears in Windows system tray where the user can run commands from, to mount or dismount container file and create new encrypted container.

BestCrypt Traveller is a freeware utility, it does not require installation, registration or licensing. So travelling user can download it from any place in the world and access his/her encrypted data. The user can also store a single BestCrypt Traveller executable on removable disk together with encrypted containers and access the data on any computer that may be temporary available during a trip. Please note that the user should have administrating privileges to run BestCrypt Traveller software.

BestCrypt Traveller supports containers encrypted by any Encryption Algorithm and any Key Generator available in BestCrypt.

BestCrypt Traveller can create new encrypted container files. Since the software is designed as a simple and lite application, its New container dialog window requires the user to enter minimum information to create new container - only its name, path and size. BestCrypt Traveller will create new container using AES (Rijndael) encryption algorithm and KG-Ghost Key Generator.
Note: I am currently unable to test the application for portability.
However the description and company reputation seem to indicate that it should be fine.

grannyGeek

#2 Post by grannyGeek »

<sigh> The best encryption tools always seem to require admin rights.

from jetico website
Please note that the user should have administrating privileges to run BestCrypt Traveller software.
Rohos mini drive is one that doesn't require admin, BUT it only recognizes flash drives, so I can't use it for my external usb hard-drive.
:(

keiffer

#3 Post by keiffer »

I see the encryption is AES but how many bits is it?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

keiffer

#4 Post by keiffer »

Here's the answer I received from them........
"BCTraveller creates containers with AES encryption algorithm, in LRW encryption mode.
The effective key length for the pair LRW mode + AES becomes higher than AES originally has. While the AES key length is 256 bits, LRW+AES pair uses 256+128 = 384 bits key."

But................
I think it does make a registry entry. Someone else will have to check on that.

Thanks

Leftover

Bestcrypt Traveller

#5 Post by Leftover »

http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bestcrypt-traveller/

The following words are from the 'Contents' (Help?) part of the right-click menu. I highlighted some important parts. From my brief experience with BCT, it does not write anything to the registry. Mounting and unmounting the virtual drives are effortless. As a single executable that sits in the tray, it's easy to use. I find it much easier to use than SafeHouse Explorer 3.01, and infinitely better than Truecrypt.
----------
BestCrypt Traveller software allows the user quickly accessing encrypted container files created by BestCrypt software.

BestCrypt Traveller starts working without installation of the software. The user runs a single executable file (BCTraveller.exe), standard BestCrypt icon appears in Windows system tray where from the user can run commands to mount or dismount container file and create new encrypted container.

BestCrypt Traveller is a freeware utility, it does not require installation, registration or licensing. So travelling users can download it from any place in the world and access his/her encrypted data. The user can also store a single BestCrypt Traveller executable on removable disk together with encrypted containers and access the data on any computer that may be temporarily available during a trip. Please note that the user should have administrating privileges to run BestCrypt Traveller software.

BestCrypt Traveller supports containers encrypted by any Encryption Algorithm and any Key Generator available in BestCrypt. From the other hand, since the software appears on computer as a guest program, it does not install a number of powerful modules of its big brother - BestCrypt. It concerns Container Guard Utility, Swap File Encryption module, Keyboard Filter, module allowing mounting containers as NTFS folders, multiuser functionality, encryption with public key.

The user may need not only read or write data from/to encrypted container files with a help of BestCrypt Traveller, but also create new encrypted container file. Since the software is designed as a simple and light application, its New container dialog window requires the user to enter minimum information to create new container - only its name, path and size. BestCrypt Traveller will create new container using AES (Rijndael) encryption algorithm and KG-Ghost Key Generator.

webfork

Re: Bestcrypt Traveller

#6 Post by webfork »

This has been posted about before. For security applications, I would stick with programs whose source code is available.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

BestCrypt Traveller software allows the user quickly accessing encrypted container files created by BestCrypt software.
BestCrypt is NOT free.

ashghost

#8 Post by ashghost »

I am Baas wrote:BestCrypt is NOT free.
I was going to respond similarly earlier, but the description above says that it can also create container files:
The user may need not only read or write data from/to encrypted container files with a help of BestCrypt Traveller, but also create new encrypted container file.
I haven't tried it, since TrueCrypt is open source.

And no, the unqualified and unsubstantiated "infinitely better than Truecrypt" does absolutely nothing to change my mind. ;)

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

This program appears to be seeing active updates (2 weeks ago as of this writing) and Softpedia is listing this as freeware. Requires admin rights.

Adding a screenshot:

I also merged with other thread on the topic.