Public DNS Server Tool

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

Public DNS Server Tool

#1 Post by guinness »

lastaltoid

Re: Public DNS Server Tool

#2 Post by lastaltoid »

The current version is 2.1. Please update the data base entry.
Starting from the version 2.1, Public DNS Server Tool stores all the server data in the servers.ini file. If this file does not exist in the same folder as the PublicDNS.exe, then it creates a default servers.ini file loaded with eight well-known publicly available DNS servers. But if you want to add more DNS servers, then you can simply edit this file and add more servers.
I noticed that version 2.0 (as listed here at TPFC) says that this program is steath, but when I installed v2.0 (XP sp3) the following registry entries were created:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{1FCDA4C3-AB00-4BA3-B76E-CB53F6117DCA}]
"NameServer"="208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{D049FE38-1074-44A1-8C81-8A1A536D49C5}]
"NameServer"=""
Attachments
Public DNS Tool v2.1 screen.png
Last edited by lastaltoid on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

That's to be expected given it sets the default DNS Servers your computer checks with. It's stealth in that it doesn't store its own settings in registry.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

lastaltoid wrote: The current version is 2.1. Please update the data base entry.
Starting from the version 2.1, Public DNS Server Tool stores all the server data in the servers.ini file. If this file does not exist in the same folder as the PublicDNS.exe, then it creates a default servers.ini file loaded with eight well-known publicly available DNS servers. But if you want to add more DNS servers, then you can simply edit this file and add more servers.
Thanks. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020