DM2 (DialogMate2)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ruby

DM2 (DialogMate2)

#1 Post by Ruby »

Check out this app DM2 (DialogMate2)

It can minimize windows to tray or floating icons, resize, roll to caption, set opacity, align to screen border etc..
It has a plugin system one of which is a VirtualDesktop (2~8).
Best of all, only ~700k memory (private working set).
All files and settings retained in it's own folder!
It hasn't been updated in a few years but works ok in my Vista SP2.
Be sure and hit up the settings web page and clean up the settings window in DM2.

Example:
I have my 'Action' set like this:
Right Click, Min button = Roll Up/UnRoll Windows (Plugins) (default is minimize to tray)
Right Click, Max button = Resize window (default is minimize to floating icon)
Right Click, Close button = Align Window (default is hide foreground window)
I use Shift, Right Click for the defaults (just my preference).

These are just a few settings, there are way more and with the user defined hotkeys, that take parameters to the plugins;
volume, switching desktops, easygamma, it's just a very versatile little (dare I say) "Window Manager".

Actually, "Windows Mate!"

Onesimus Prime

Re: DM2 (DialogMate2)

#2 Post by Onesimus Prime »

You mean this app? It's been in the TPFC database since at least '06, based on the user comments. :wink:

Ruby

#3 Post by Ruby »

Damn, I thought I searched DM2, I know I searched DialogMate and Dialog Mate and got no hits.
Oh well, I was replying to this thread about RBTray and it got a little too verbose so I decided to move it. Bad Move :cry:
Anyway have you used/tried it?

Onesimus Prime

#4 Post by Onesimus Prime »

I gave it a shot a few years ago, there was something that didn't work smoothly (for me at least)--but unfortunately I can't remember what! But it seems to work well for most users, I guess.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have need for much of this functionality at present. But I may try it again sometime, "just for kicks."

Ruby

#5 Post by Ruby »

Yeah, I use it now mainly just for resizing and centering a window, I tend to scoot my apps/windows around quite a bit and when I reopen some of them I like them to open in the center.
I was using a little script that I called with SlickRun that ran NirCmd "win center alltop" the problem with that (besides 'alltop') is it occasionally knocked SlickRun (or PStart when I used it) offscreen and also centered to 'screen res' and not 'working res'.

This app (DM2) is so well behaved as it uses ~0 resources and has never crashed on me that I don't mind leaving it running all the time, and the roll up feature when I'm browsing the web with Chromium and need to see the desktop just makes me smile everytime. :D

flector

#6 Post by flector »

I've been using DM2 for years - it's great. In particular, the minimize to the system tray and keep on top features are extremely handy.

smaragdus

Re: DM2 – maintenance (help wanted)

#7 Post by smaragdus »

DM2 (database entry) was abandoned long ago (the last version- 1.23.1, is from 2007-03-05). Windows XP is the last Windows version that is supported by DM2 so on newer versions the program has issues. The developer, Igor Spasić, exported the project to GitHub trying to find someone interested in refreshing and maintaining the project (GitHub issue) but so far no developer (fluency in C is prerequisite) has shown interest in taking over the development of DM2 and reviving this great project.

For me DM2 is a treasure of a window manager- tiny, light, rich, configurable, portable. So far I has not found a program as good and as complete so I would be glad if the project is revived.

I am posting about this in hope that a developer may get interested in reviving DM2.