Alchemy An open drawing project

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
pplknownothin

Alchemy An open drawing project

#1 Post by pplknownothin »

http://al.chemy.org/

Alchemy is an open drawing project aimed at exploring how we can sketch, draw, and create on computers in new ways. Alchemy isn’t software for creating finished artwork, but rather a sketching environment that focuses on the absolute initial stage of the creation process. Experimental in nature, Alchemy lets you brainstorm visually to explore an expanded range of ideas and possibilities in a serendipitous way.

Alchemy is written in Java so I'm not sure how portable it is.

webfork

Re: Alchemy An open drawing project

#2 Post by webfork »

If its required that Java is installed, its definitely not portable. You can quickly test this by uninstalling Java and seeing if the program still works.

This might sound strange, but some programs are written in and use Java, but include necessary Java libraries to run the program with the download.

pplknownothin

#3 Post by pplknownothin »

Yeah i know..but couldn't you use Java portable with this to make it "totally"' portable wherever Java isn't installed?
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I thought that too but evidently that hasn't quite happened yet in my tests. If you figure out a way to make that work, please post.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Finally got around to testing (evidently took almost 3 years) and wow, I've been missing out. It's an amazing drawing program and an awesome idea. Really seems to spawn the imagination and create strangely beautiful pictures with little effort. I'm really glad I came across this.

I was using Process Monitor to watch this program and not very clear on the output. Anyway, it *appears* in this test to require Java or write settings to the registry: HKCU\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs

Didn't try using jPortable.

Good look at how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fIKNrYFL4

---

Edit: the session recorder thing appears to be broken on my XP SP3 machine. Keeps just outputting blank white PDF files.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

I don't do Java, but just for curiosity's sake, I looked... :)

And a sample: